Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Ergonomic or Padded Car Creeper?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Darkangelv2

Post by Darkangelv2 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:19 pm

Hi ALl

Looking to buy a creeper ahead of my suspension overhaul and wanted your recommendations.

Would you go for padded comfort or the ergonomic shape (with the molding for your bum!)?

Examples here https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_no ... ar+creeper

Cheers :thumbsup:
BMW Z4 2006 2.5SI - 437M Wheels - Strut Brace - H&R ARBs
3.0si Brake Conversion - Custom Nappa Sport Interior - Z4M Bumper+Bonnet -
BC Racing BR Coilovers - AFE Stage 2

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:39 pm

Darkangelv2 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:19 pm Hi ALl

Looking to buy a creeper ahead of my suspension overhaul and wanted your recommendations.

Would you go for padded comfort or the ergonomic shape (with the molding for your bum!)?

Examples here https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_no ... ar+creeper

Cheers :thumbsup:

Hi, I've got the flat one that folds into a seat-can't really rate it as I've never used it due to gravel driveway :lol:
After smooth drive on next property :P
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Darkangelv2

Post by Darkangelv2 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:44 pm

Smartbear wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:39 pm
Hi, I've got the flat one that folds into a seat-can't really rate it as I've never used it due to gravel driveway :lol:
Rob
Retro-fit some offroad wheels perhaps? :driving:

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:50 pm

Darkangelv2 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:44 pm
Smartbear wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:39 pm
Rob
Retro-fit some offroad wheels perhaps? :driving:

I've got a padded stool on wheels that I use a fair bit, can't roll along for the above reason but I plonk it in front of the wheels & it makes removal/cleaning much less of a chore & saves your back from strain. Recommended :thumbsup:
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:50 pm

I've got one of the moulded plastic type - first example on your link.

I got it to use under a larger classic. Two things to consider in my view; you are going to have to jack your Zed along way up to use it (assuming your built like me :rofl: plus the extra for the ground clearance for the creeper); and if you use it on a smooth surface by the time you get your bum near it the thing will have shot of like a rocket as you apply pressure to only one pair of casters at one end - I have to sort of drop onto it in the garage and take in by surprise :lol: ; on the gravel drive getting on is a doddle but it doesn't roll.

I would only use mine if I needed to keep sliding in and out from under the car. bit better than lying on the floor but see if you can try one.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:54 pm

This one :)
IMG_0923.JPG
IMG_0923.JPG (276.43 KiB) Viewed 1552 times

e85 3.0si sold

Neilc

Post by Neilc » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:55 pm

I've got the one that folds in to a seat, used it in Both functions so would say it's the better option
2.5Si Stirling grey Z4, green cotton induction kit, front & rear strut brace, clear third brake light, 19" deep dish alloys, Eibach Pro springs and colour coded duck tail spoiler.

Darkangelv2

Post by Darkangelv2 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:26 pm

Crazy Harry wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:50 pm I've got one of the moulded plastic type - first example on your link.

I got it to use under a larger classic. Two things to consider in my view; you are going to have to jack your Zed along way up to use it (assuming your built like me :rofl: plus the extra for the ground clearance for the creeper); and if you use it on a smooth surface by the time you get your bum near it the thing will have shot of like a rocket as you apply pressure to only one pair of casters at one end - I have to sort of drop onto it in the garage and take in by surprise :lol: ; on the gravel drive getting on is a doddle but it doesn't roll.

I would only use mine if I needed to keep sliding in and out from under the car. bit better than lying on the floor but see if you can try one.
I did start to wonder about the virtues of the creeper once you start trying to apply pressure to something.... I like the idea of getting in and out from under the car more easily, but do usually end up contorting myself into all sorts of angles to apply the correct amount of pressure to the various bolts under there.....

The 2-in-1 might be a great shout. That way if the creeper is useless to me, atleast i still have a trolley stool for cleaning etc...

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:31 pm

Darkangelv2 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:26 pm
Crazy Harry wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:50 pm I've got one of the moulded plastic type - first example on your link.

I did start to wonder about the virtues of the creeper once you start trying to apply pressure to something.... I like the idea of getting in and out from under the car more easily, but do usually end up contorting myself into all sorts of angles to apply the correct amount of pressure to the various bolts under there.....

The 2-in-1 might be a great shout. That way if the creeper is useless to me, at least i still have a trolley stool for cleaning etc...
You can normally get your foot against something to stop it slipping when you're working - I find it a real challenge getting onto the bu**er - slippier than the winner of a slippy content on ice :rofl:

stevespg

Post by stevespg » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:40 pm

for those of us that are "rotund"....the floor and a thin camp mat wins every time.....
Z4 3.0si - gone
Z4MR - gone
E89 35i - gone

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:41 pm

I got one of those sets that included 4 axle stands, a jack and a creeper that came in 2 connecting sections with 4 wheels on each section. Ive never used it for car maintenance but theyve been terrific fun when pi$$ed up and having races down the road on ! :lol:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:40 pm

Chris_D wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:41 pm I got one of those sets that included 4 axle stands, a jack and a creeper that came in 2 connecting sections with 4 wheels on each section. Ive never used it for car maintenance but theyve been terrific fun when pi$$ed up and having races down the road on ! :lol:
Photo's :poke: :D
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:02 pm

I have one of the padded ones that folds up for transport. Ideal to work under my Jeeps that are well raised on 35" tyres, but have never even considered bothering on the Zed as it's so low. You'd spend ages raising it up high on 4 axles stands to get enough room to slide around. I always used to just jack one side or end way up on a large 3 tonne jack, put stands for safety and work on one side or end at a time
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills