Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sciatica

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Sciatica

Post by MACK » Wed May 17, 2017 11:38 pm

You need to push for a scan to get to the bottom of it. Alot of prolapsed discs etc (assuming thats whats causing it) right themselves inside 10-12 weeks beyond that and it usually needs surgery. Really car wise most aren't great for your back if your knees are higher than your hips which means if you did come out of the zed your really looking at a SUV type vehicle. I wouldn't make a knee jerk decision just wait for a proper diagnosis. I've had two back surgeries myself and am perfectly fine these days in a sports car. The cars I had weren't the root cause of my issues although at the time I was thinking like you that I may not be able to have these types of cars going forward.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

85genius

Sciatica

Post by 85genius » Thu May 18, 2017 10:11 am

Thanks for all the replies guys!

I've definitely made a vast improvement over where I was when I made the first post, especially after a few sessions with a chiropractor. When I first went to see him he diagnosed it (as he best could he thought a 95% certainty) that it was a tear in one of my lower discs and did state he thought he'd have to write to my gp for an mri scan. As it has improved over the course of the last 10 days he's now convinced of his diagnosis and has been impressed with how quickly it's improved and now doesn't think the scan will be necessary unless it gets worse again.

I'm still not right far from it and am getting pain if I sit or stand in the same position for too long but I can actually get in and out of my car without holding the roof or door, and I've been back at work this week. It's a desk job so not physically taxing but still difficult enough due to the sitting
Audi quattro driver :o
NOW SOLD - Ruby Black 3.0 SI Roadster :(
Previous - E85 2.5 Ti Silver - See avatar photo - R.I.P Destroyed by a Tranny

Kingfisher

Sciatica

Post by Kingfisher » Thu May 18, 2017 2:49 pm

I had three MRI scans to determine arthritis at the bottom of my spine pinching the nerve, not helped by the surgeon damaging my sciatic nerve when I had a new hip ... sold my Lotus Elise which you need to be a contortionist to get in and out of and p/exed it for the Z4, which is manageable and a darned sight more comfy!
Dec 2014 ... E89 35is sDrive M DCT ... Red ... :driving:

DMC63

Sciatica

Post by DMC63 » Thu May 18, 2017 4:24 pm

85genius wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 4:28 pm Just had a proper nightmare 12 hours totally unable to move, absolute agony, sat in a&e for 4 hours, codeine, diazepam then finally morphine. Now I'm back home at least and feeling slightly better although still unable to walk, but it's got me worried.....

Am I going to be able to keep the zed? :( I absolutely love the car but thinking maybe it could have been part of why I had this issue basically sat on the floor with hard suspension and also the way it wants to be driven with harder cornering and breaking forces than could be healthy?

So the question is anyone else suffer back problems, and how do you make it work with a sportscar?
Sorry to hear about your pain.
Desk-jobs and back problems go hand in hand. Especially if you've sat at one for years at a time
Most of the time the person is outta shape, weak abs and core as well as back muscles. No support to the skeletal mechanics and 'pop goes the weasel'. When you're better, unless you already do so, I'd suggest 'gently' getting on with developing your overall strength and core.
A prevention based exercise regime that takes into account your injury and current state of physical health, wherever that may be.
Good luck and a speedy recovery. :thumbsup:
BMW Z4 2003 2.5i and lots of bits and pieces - 2016 - 2020 Sold