Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

NHS Cyber Attack

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

NHS Cyber Attack

Post by TitanTim » Fri May 12, 2017 4:45 pm

Just hearing the news 16 NHS England computer systems have suffered a ransom cyber attack also affecting doctors surgeries and some dentists with files being encrypted, not good. I'm wandering how long before power stations will be targeted etc, fancyfull as it sounds but I feel a reality.

Tim.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

NHS Cyber Attack

Post by Scooba_Steve » Fri May 12, 2017 5:43 pm

Cyber is the battlespace no one talks about. With any luck minimal loss if daily backups, the policy is not to pay as there is no guarantee if you do that it will be decrypted.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

NHS Cyber Attack

Post by TitanTim » Fri May 12, 2017 6:07 pm

I'm guessing or would hope all records are saved to the cloud so would think all infected computers/servers can be wiped clean and records restored.

Tim.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

NHS Cyber Attack

Post by buzyg » Fri May 12, 2017 6:23 pm

Mad bad part of the modern world. It's a crying shame companies like the NHS have to spend so much time and money defending against criminal acts like this. Totally indiscriminate don't care who they hurt. I hope the press focus their venom on the criminal act behind this and don't just take the easy NHS is crap at every thing stance.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

NHS Cyber Attack

Post by TitanTim » Fri May 12, 2017 6:47 pm

I hope so too.

Some time ago my personal computer got infected with a ransom virus, I had a good moan at Norton as it bypassed their software. It was a right pain as it started off with a 10 minute grace displaying a ransom message which counted down by a minute each day and after 10 days it would lock your computer. Luckily after lots of googling I managed to find where the virus was hidden and managed to delete it. Effing nuisance.

Tim.

lordgrover

NHS Cyber Attack

Post by lordgrover » Fri May 12, 2017 7:05 pm

TitanTim wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 6:07 pm I'm guessing or would hope all records are saved to the cloud so would think all infected computers/servers can be wiped clean and records restored.

Tim.
Where the data are stored is not relevant, if the computer/user affected has access it'll get encrypted.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

NHS Cyber Attack

Post by TitanTim » Fri May 12, 2017 7:13 pm

lordgrover wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 7:05 pm
TitanTim wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 6:07 pm I'm guessing or would hope all records are saved to the cloud so would think all infected computers/servers can be wiped clean and records restored.

Tim.
Where the data are stored is not relevant, if the computer/user affected has access it'll get encrypted.
But if backed up to the cloud should be ok shouldn't it so long as the infected computers are dealt with?

Tim

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

NHS Cyber Attack

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri May 12, 2017 7:20 pm

I'm not sure if back-ups are the whole answer - from what I heard they are still using XP, which may go some way to explaining why they got hacked in the first place! :o
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

ranski
Lifer
Lifer

NHS Cyber Attack

Post by ranski » Fri May 12, 2017 7:23 pm

TitanTim wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 7:13 pm
lordgrover wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 7:05 pm

Tim.
But if backed up to the cloud should be ok shouldn't it so long as the infected computers are dealt with?

Tim

You honestly think the NHS will have a 1/2 decent backup strategy? Either way thats only half of the issue at hand.

What is obvious is that the NHS client and server fleet appear to be woefully out of date in terms of security updates, as this loophole was closed by an MS patch back in March. Tech support will need to patch and cleanse 1000's of machines before giving the all clear. Even utilising an Enterprise class toolset this will takes weeks

Z4 3.0 / Mods done... too many to mention

ranski
Lifer
Lifer

NHS Cyber Attack

Post by ranski » Fri May 12, 2017 7:25 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 7:20 pm I'm not sure if back-ups are the whole answer - from what I heard they are still using XP, which may go some way to explaining why they got hacked in the first place! :o

I think some NHS departments dropped out of MS software Assurance a few years back, meaning they arent entitled to the latest OS, nor patching :cry:

Z4 3.0 / Mods done... too many to mention

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

NHS Cyber Attack

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri May 12, 2017 7:27 pm

ranski wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 7:25 pmMr Tidy wrote: ↑Fri May 12, 2017 7:20 pm
I'm not sure if back-ups are the whole answer - from what I heard they are still using XP, which may go some way to explaining why they got hacked in the first place!

I think some NHS departments dropped out of MS software Assurance a few years back, meaning they arent entitled to the latest OS, nor patching
Quite likely - that may explain quite a lot! :(
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

NHS Cyber Attack

Post by TitanTim » Fri May 12, 2017 8:01 pm

I'm still using Vista Home so hackers beware :lol:

Internet explorer stopped working on it ages ago so using Firefox but they are pulling the plug on Vista in Sept :cry: I can't stand Windows 10 so looks like Apple at some stage.

Tim.

Vonlipvig

NHS Cyber Attack

Post by Vonlipvig » Fri May 12, 2017 8:12 pm

TitanTim wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 8:01 pm I'm still using Vista Home so hackers beware :lol:

Internet explorer stopped working on it ages ago so using Firefox but they are pulling the plug on Vista in Sept :cry: I can't stand Windows 10 so looks like Apple at some stage.

Tim.
Windows 10 is actually quite nice once you get used to them moving things around. I quite liked Vista as well (in the minority there!). 7 is good if you can get a copy and still in support, avoid 8 like a misplaced M badge though
2009 Sapphire Black 23i

Gazhyde

NHS Cyber Attack

Post by Gazhyde » Fri May 12, 2017 8:23 pm

TitanTim wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 8:01 pm but they are pulling the plug on Vista in Sept
Not sure where you got September from Tim, but Vista went End of Life on April 11, 2017... I'd upgrade ASAP if I were you :wink:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... of-support
The Spicy Meatball - 2006 Z4 M Roadster, Interlagos / Black, BC Racing Coilovers, Gruppe M Induction, Supersprint exhaust and x-pipe.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

NHS Cyber Attack

Post by TitanTim » Fri May 12, 2017 8:46 pm

Gazhyde wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 8:23 pm
TitanTim wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 8:01 pm but they are pulling the plug on Vista in Sept
Not sure where you got September from Tim, but Vista went End of Life on April 11, 2017... I'd upgrade ASAP if I were you :wink:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... of-support
Sorry Gaz my bad I meant Firefox, I received a message from them to say they are pulling any browser updates for Vista users from Sept.

Vista has been working fine with Firefox for some time although I get the odd plugin exceptions when playing videos.

We use windows 10 at work and I have it on a tablet but I just don't like it, not keen on windows generally.

Tim.