Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Recommend a camera

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
DMC63

Recommend a camera

Post by DMC63 » Thu May 18, 2017 7:18 pm

I've just started a blog, Instagram and anti-social media pages related to my primary business as a Personal Stylist.
Having read through countless online articles/blogs for the 'best camera' for my needs, I now find myself 'slightly confused'

First off ,my budget is £600. Remember, I'm not aiming to become a pro photographer. I want a camera that's going to be easy to point and shoot. Obviously I'll read the manual and grasp a basic understanding of the camera, but I don't want to be sucked into the 'accessories hole', I've got my Z for that :rofl: I want a good all-rounder with one lens fits all.

I've read that some cameras have built in filters. Is this a good idea? It would be nice to be able to enhance pics within the camera and upload them straight into the blog or social media. That said I'd like to be able to get high quality images as well as ability to export the image in the right compression for the blog, large files slow sites down and loose views.

Again, simplicity is the key. I'm very busy and would rather not have fart around with photoshop to get things looking good..

Clear, sharp, defined with amazing colour.

I've seen some great pics on here taken by members whom obviously know their stuff.

I'll be using the camera for close ups.
Point and shoot in the street in all kinds of weather.
Video (occasionally)
BMW Z4 2003 2.5i and lots of bits and pieces - 2016 - 2020 Sold

alane29

Recommend a camera

Post by alane29 » Thu May 18, 2017 7:49 pm

Im using a canon eos 700d ,also bought a long lense and filter should be within your budget
2007 E86 M Coupe
2005 E85 2.5SE

VRSteve

Recommend a camera

Post by VRSteve » Thu May 18, 2017 8:01 pm

I have a Nikon D3300 with a couple of lenses. I upgraded from an old Canon 400D.

I got great pics from both, just need to practice and learn how to use them.
///M|Silver Grey|Black Leather|BT|Nav|DSP|Heated Seats|PDC|Stubby|Turner Limiters|Turner Rear Top Mounts|Bilstein B12|Powerflex ARB Bushes|Powerflex Lollipops|M-Track|
SOLD

Lance

Recommend a camera

Post by Lance » Thu May 18, 2017 8:48 pm

I spent about a year researching and then changing my mind time and time again. I eventually went for the Sony A6000 and the kit 16-50mm kit lens. Will add the Sony 50mm prime later. I had a Canon 400d before, the Sony is better IMO and much easier to carry around. Sony kit was £499, the 50mm will be another £200 ish.

If point and shoot is high on your priorities, perhaps something like the fixed lens RX100 would be better suited.

bluespit

Recommend a camera

Post by bluespit » Thu May 18, 2017 9:09 pm

Im one of those with more enthusiasm than knowledge. I've a cannon 700d with a USB zoom that I was getting along with fine until I bought one of these

https://www.johnlewis.com/olympus-om-d- ... r/p2283546

Absolutely fantastic bit of kit. As well as built in filters and effects it also has three user defined program modes that you can preset however you want. One button for each preset is my idea of easy to use.

The 4/3 format gives excellent results too, plus it's tiny and very light too.
now I'm about to have more time I've suddenly got less toys to play with!

Darkangelv2

Recommend a camera

Post by Darkangelv2 » Thu May 18, 2017 11:08 pm

Nikon d3300 here.

Worth noting that similar to you, my wife and I wanted to be able to upload photos fairly quickly but built in wifi seemed to add £150-£200 to the price of the camera.

We went for a Toshiba SD card with built in wifi (£35 for 32GB on amazon) and it works really well. I had no idea these existed before! Transferred straight onto my iPhone and straight onto instagram.

The savings went on a nice lens.
Last edited by Darkangelv2 on Fri May 19, 2017 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
BMW Z4 2006 2.5SI - 437M Wheels - Strut Brace - H&R ARBs
3.0si Brake Conversion - Custom Nappa Sport Interior - Z4M Bumper+Bonnet -
BC Racing BR Coilovers - AFE Stage 2

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Recommend a camera

Post by tomscott » Thu May 18, 2017 11:32 pm

Pretty much any modern camera will do the performance is incredible from the beginner models compared to even a few years ago.

Its more how it feels how you get on with its controls and its weight. A mirrorless camera is the best of both worlds has a large sensor so can be used in lower light and still get good images but is the size of a compact and you can get interchangeable lenses for it.

Im a canon guy the new M6 would be a good point and shoot but the Sony A6000 range is probably your best bang for buck.

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Recommend a camera

Post by enzed4 » Fri May 19, 2017 3:15 am

I'm with tomscott on this one. I have a Nikon D7200 - brilliant camera for what I do ('enthusiast' photographer always learning), BUT, the quality of the 'point & shoot' cameras today is on another level to what was available not so long ago. A good p&s camera should do almost everything you could think of. Sorry I can't personally recommend any brand/model, but a bit of research should find you something within your budget. I'm really not sure you 'need' a DSLR for your particular requirements.
Good luck, will be very interested to know what you end up with :thumbsup:
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

LewisB

Recommend a camera

Post by LewisB » Fri May 19, 2017 7:09 am

This has been a really timely post by the OP, so thanks!

It's MrsB's birthday and she wants to 'upgrade' her point and shoot to a DSLR. I've got a similar budget as the OP.

There is a lot of choice out there even if I have narrowed down the search to a Canon or Nikon!
Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe - Ruby Black - Champagne Nappa leather - my weekend drive......

Norwegian

Recommend a camera

Post by Norwegian » Fri May 19, 2017 7:31 am

It sounds to me that you dont want to use manual modes, (like adjusting A, S, T, ISO etc) am i right?
Build in filters is cool, i sometimes use them on my Fujifilm XT-10.
I love that camera, iv been used to Canon EOS, but now i dont see the point in this big rather clumsy mirror cameras.
By a systemcamera without mirror. Then you can, if you want to, stil change lenses.

Here are some samples iv took with my Fujifilm XT-10:

Using filter:

...and i dont even have Photoshop.

Lance

Recommend a camera

Post by Lance » Fri May 19, 2017 7:59 am

Lance wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 8:48 pm I spent about a year researching and then changing my mind time and time again. I eventually went for the Sony A6000 and the kit 16-50mm kit lens. Will add the Sony 50mm prime later. I had a Canon 400d before, the Sony is better IMO and much easier to carry around. Sony kit was £499, the 50mm will be another £200 ish.

If point and shoot is high on your priorities, perhaps something like the fixed lens RX100 would be better suited.
I forgot to mention, uploading photos from camera to smartphone/tablet is very quick and very easy. You just link them together and you're done.

DMC63

Recommend a camera

Post by DMC63 » Sat May 20, 2017 2:01 pm

Wow, lots of useful info as always. Thanks to you all, and some fantastic pics. :thumbsup:

After a bit of thinking and online reviews I went with the Nikon D3300. I bought a new one with the 18/55 Nikon lens it came with plus I bought a Sigma SIGMA 70-300 zoom, bag and cleaning kit. So that wraps that up. Like I said, I'm only into simple shots for my blog/online magazine and website.

Camera with the sigma lens cost £395. Pleased with the cost and quality.

I'm really impressed with the filters, shoot modes etc.
BMW Z4 2003 2.5i and lots of bits and pieces - 2016 - 2020 Sold

adann

Recommend a camera

Post by adann » Sat May 20, 2017 2:45 pm

Recently bought myself the Panasonic GX80 - have been very impressed with it so far. It also has 4K Video and the option to shoot 4K photos which means you can snap stills from a video which is good for action shots.

You can read up on it here as it has more information and reviews.
ImageImage
BMW Z4 23i

LordOxygen

Recommend a camera

Post by LordOxygen » Sat May 20, 2017 6:19 pm

I've got a Sony A77 DSLR and several lenses and Sony RX100iii point and shoot. The little RX100iii is a very competent fixed lens camera. Despite having a couple of nice cameras, 90% of the time I use my 18 month old LG G4 mobile phone. It takes super pictures in Auto mode, and in manual mode you have the usual controls and it can shoot RAW. The overriding benefit is that it's always in my pocket so always ready. You can edit images and upload on the one device.
What I'm saying is don't dismiss the latest mobile phones if you're due an upgrade soon. The latest LG G6 and the Google Pixel both have excellent lenses and make great point and shoot cameras.

https://www.dpreview.com/samples/508175 ... le-gallery

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Recommend a camera

Post by buzyg » Sun May 21, 2017 12:49 am

Modern point and shoot cameras are just amazing. I bought a Nicon Coolpix P610 in 2015 and it simply does every thing from macro to photographing Jupiter and it's moons the other evening. It's also light & fairly compact. I carry it on all my walks on the moors. Great cameras, just no need to spend more unless you have a specific need.

The current model is the Coolpix P900, I would definately be checking it out if I where looking for a camera today.
http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/produ ... olpix-p900 :thumbsup:

A few snaps.
DSCN2256.JPG
DSCN2256.JPG (140.01 KiB) Viewed 3033 times
DSCN4222.JPG
DSCN4222.JPG (182.24 KiB) Viewed 3033 times
Picture 005.jpg
Picture 005.jpg (103.68 KiB) Viewed 3033 times
Crop.jpg
Crop.jpg (178.22 KiB) Viewed 3027 times