Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Beware of on-line parts supplier

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
huytonman

Post by huytonman » Mon May 22, 2017 5:39 pm

I need some rear brake components for my Merc E350, did the usual research on which brands are used by Mercedes themselves and then looked for an on-line seller. I came upon "buycarparts.co.uk", they showed an excellent choice of products from the best German OEM's, free delivery etc and in-stock status. Placed my order and after more time than I expected the parts arrived from Germany not the UK which the site ID implied. Fair enough, the parts are made there so thats fine. Opened the box and apart from the Bosch wear indicator the pads and disks came from some totally mysterious supplier called Stark (not the one who makes the flying robot suits but they could well be as no search engines show any information about the company). The boxes had no identification of origin just a few GmbH signs here and there which made me suspicious that these were little re-assuring red herrings. A quick search shows up other people having the same experience with this outfit i.e. order brake parts, find the delivery is a "higher priced" substitute from Stark. Now I dont know about you guys but for me, Tryes and brakes are the highest priority for me on a car and there is no way I would fit unknown quality components. They offer a 14 day return policy, which is a bit obscure to follow (but not that unusual for German companies) but to make matters worse the return shipping cost is ending up almost 30% of the price of the kit due to the weight, so even assuming that I get a full refund I'll be out of pocket anyway - no refund of return post.

So be very careful and use buycarparts in full knowledge that you may not get what you ordered.

Keith

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Mon May 22, 2017 7:04 pm

Thanks for the heads up, but if you wanted genuine or OEM parts then why not buy them for a few £ more for a reputable (and UK-based) supplier?

Did you order genuine/OEM parts, or their own brand? If you ordered a specific brand and they substituted them for another, then you should get a full refund INCLUDING return postage as it's their error.

...alternatively, just don't buy anything from random companies/individuals on the internet!
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

dans6490

Post by dans6490 » Mon May 22, 2017 7:36 pm

I've had a quick look at the site, typed in my car model and it's come up with lots of differently branded brake pads.

By the side of each one,it clearly says who the manufacturer is (including stark branded ones).

I'm presuming you've ordered a different brand (I.e Brembo or Pagid) but received Stark branded pads instead? In which case, surely they are liable?

Although if you ordered stark pads and received stark pads, you will obviously have to pay postage costs.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Mon May 22, 2017 8:01 pm

You are not the first! viewtopic.php?t=90599

It looks like STARK are a cheap own-brand advertised at stupidly high retail price to make you feel better when bargain parts sites substitute STARK for the quality item you actually ordered. Scammers I'd say :thumbsdown:
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RickRob » Mon May 22, 2017 8:29 pm

If you can prove what you ordered and you paid by card - debit or credit - or paid by PayPal and paid PayPal by card, then your card issuer should give you the money back if you get nowhere with the supplier.

There's bad people out there!
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon May 22, 2017 9:25 pm

Google is full of reviews about them not delivering, wrong make supplied, claiming mailed but not, etc.
Just email, request full refund of payment and hopefully you paid by credit card or PayPal so ask them, as RickRob posts, for a full refund a second soon as you make no progress
Live and learn and thankfully not a massive amount of money
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Mon May 22, 2017 9:47 pm

Ewazix wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 8:01 pm You are not the first! viewtopic.php?t=90599

It looks like STARK are a cheap own-brand advertised at stupidly high retail price to make you feel better when bargain parts sites substitute STARK for the quality item you actually ordered. Scammers I'd say :thumbsdown:
Yer, remember that well. scammin bastidz!
and that thread was also my and ben g's little spat. hahha. we're all mates now. :roll:

re. that retailer OP, I played hell and demanded they send the textar pads or refund in full.
They try to fob people off with that shity stark crap rationalising that as they charge more they must be better. fekin pikeys! surprised they didnt try to throw in a dog with the deal!
:lol:
737db218d2856cb6ae7906a8c1cf5e74.jpg
737db218d2856cb6ae7906a8c1cf5e74.jpg (61.04 KiB) Viewed 734 times
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

huytonman

Post by huytonman » Tue May 23, 2017 12:05 pm

Cheers guys..in my case the google checks came after the delivery so the horse had bolted and thats my own fault :headbang: Substituting Stark is clearly not an error, its deliberate and as I mentioned this site gives every impression thats its UK based..anyway I've re-highlighted their existance guys and lesson learned on my part!
Keith

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Tue May 23, 2017 12:14 pm

How did you pay?
There are ways to get the money back depending on which you used
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Dietcokeman

Post by Dietcokeman » Tue May 23, 2017 5:27 pm

That's pants Keith, sorry to hear but thanks for giving everyone the heads up .

andy.c

Post by andy.c » Wed May 24, 2017 12:20 am

Sounds like they have gone down the pan with their service,
I used them last year to order some brembo coated disks and brembo pads and they came within a few days
with no problems