Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Road rage incident has left me questioning zed ownership... :/

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Tue May 23, 2017 10:06 pm

Quite a serious incident if I'm honest and this story is going to pre-amble a bit, apologies for that.
Was travelling back home from a meeting in Utrecht today and decided to use the occasion to give the zed its' weekly exercise run. So I'm on a 2 lane dual carriageway leading back into Vleuten, 50km/h speed limit. 4 or 5 sets of traffic lights separated by 0.5 km or so at each set.
I'm in lane 2, another car with a learner beacon on top of it is in lane 1.

1st set of lights we're standing at eventually turn green and we both set off at roughly similar speeds, well under the speed limit as we know we both have to slow down again as the lights ahead are on red.
A black Mercedes C class appears behind us in lane 1 behind the learner. He's revving the engine and it's obv an AMG or some souped up version because of the brapping from the exhaust overrun. Fair enough mate, make your presence known, new toy is it? I think to myself as I look in the mirror.

Lights turn green and we're off. The next set of lights is already on red and we can probably all see that so I and the learner are dawdling towards them and this has obviously pissed off Mr Merc as he's speeding up behind the learner then slowing down again quite aggressively. Again, more engine revving from the Merc, lights turn green and we're off again only for the next set to turn red. 's**t' I think to myself as the Merc pulls behind me and lurches forward and I really thought he was going to smack into my back bumper. Lights quickly turn green and we all set off. The learner in lane 1 has pulled forward ahead of me slightly opening up a gap, the merc sees the opportunity and undertakes me almost taking off my front wing and if I hadn't have take evasive action he would have also caused serious damage to his own car.

What do you know but the next set of lights are on red and both I and the learner have caught up. Still in lane 2 I pull up along side the merc to be met with a torrent of abuse for not getting out of his way. I respond by asking him why he's 'racing towards a f*cking red light?' to which he responded by launching into a full-on and very intimidating tirade of name calling and threats. He's obviously a tad irritated at being held up by dozy drivers and red lights and I really ought to have known better perhaps. :o

But that's not the worst bit. As I notice he's obviously of sub-human standard (or at least of limited education/intelligence/upbringing) by virtue of the vest he's wearing showing the tattoos, the gold chain around his neck, the gangsta haircut, the gold tooth, he flashes what I can only assume was a pistol. He's not holding it by the grip but by the barrel and not pointing it at me but waving it around inside his car while simultaneously pontificating 'You think you're focking mafia, you follow me into next road, I show you who mafia' (he's a dutchie but he's speaking in broken english so i should at least give him credit for that :roll: )
This you can imagine left me quite unnerved and not a little shocked. :cry:
I've never experienced anything as violent or intimidating - even the scraps I used to get into around the bars in Liverpool during a misspent youth pale into insignificance.

What a shame. The illusion of the nice, easygoing, friendly little country I've adopted as my home has been shattered into a million pieces, to an incident happening practically on my doorstep. Really hard to accept and has left me wondering if owning an idiot magnet that the zed has made me think it is from time to time is really worth it?

More serious is the quandary of whether to report the incident to the police. There was obviously a weapon involved and whether fake or real, was used to very intimidating effect. I can also only remember the 3 letters in the middle of his dutch reg number.

On the one hand here's a neanderthal who thinks it's acceptable to drive like a dick and wave a gun in peoples faces. On the other, no damage was done and no-one got a 'cap busted in their ass' :|

What would you do? Friends are telling me to report it but I'm thinking of the potential consequences - they could be less beneficial to me than to others I think.

Sorry for the ramble. Just felt I had to vent.
:(
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Grumpyowl » Tue May 23, 2017 10:14 pm

personally I'd report the top hat. Chances are he's known to the police anyway. Like the school bully the more he gets away with it the more invincible he thinks he his, until someone pays the ultimate price.

AlfaScozzesi

Post by AlfaScozzesi » Tue May 23, 2017 10:15 pm

Bloody hell. Road rage and a half!

Don't think it had anything to do with the Zed unless the learner had a Zed as well,

Sorry to be flippant :D

Don't know what I would do but is surely down to you and how strongly you feel about the inevitable time and possibly ongoing threat if you report verses chance of him getting a punishment. The guy would be able to be traced I am sure from your part registration and car description but whether anything could be done / proven is debatable unless you have another witness so your call.

Don't know what the gun laws are over there but scary stuff. :(

NickDE

Post by NickDE » Tue May 23, 2017 10:16 pm

Report it.
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

Stuartt

Post by Stuartt » Tue May 23, 2017 10:16 pm

Wow just another quiet day at the office then Chris.

Stuart
2004 3.0i SE Roadster , GONE to a good home :thumbsup:
2010 e89 35i Sdrive M sport. GONE for salvage :cry: but has been reborn

2014 e89 35is M-Sport Design Pure Traction 😈😈😈

TomK

Post by TomK » Tue May 23, 2017 10:24 pm

If I see some knob head in a hurry behind me, I move over at the first opportunity, and if there isn't one I make one (by speeding up past the learner driver in your case sounds the most sensible option and then pulling in front of them). I can't be assed to be involved in any way with these kinds of people, just let them get on with their lives and the accident they may well or not cause.
I don't think it has anything to do with the car you or they were driving tbh.
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

ranski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ranski » Tue May 23, 2017 10:29 pm

s**t happens and he sounds a major shithead

I wouldn't bother reporting it, instead take satisfaction some bigger shithead will take down this shithead in the near future.

A glass of wine and a decent sleep to purge those short term memory banks....

Z4 3.0 / Mods done... too many to mention

benv6

Post by benv6 » Tue May 23, 2017 10:49 pm

Quiet surprised you haven't reported it tbh !!!
Now: BMW 335D Touring
Previous: 435D Coupe, BMW Z4 E89 35i, BMW Z4 E85 2.0, BMW E46 330CI

ImageImage

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Tue May 23, 2017 10:52 pm

If you think it's remotely likely you will see him on the road again report it !

I had a incident last year with a Neanderthal - tried followed me and wanted to be in front and I assume stop me - I was in the old discovery so I was a moving road block and he wasn't going to push me into the ditch! I was scary as we had our one year old granddaughter in the car.

My wife was so worried she did 999 and ran a commentary.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Tue May 23, 2017 10:56 pm

ranski wrote: ↑Tue May 23, 2017 10:29 pm s**t happens and he sounds a major shithead

I wouldn't bother reporting it, instead take satisfaction some bigger shithead will take down this shithead in the near future.

A glass of wine and a decent sleep to purge those short term memory banks....
Agreed, I'd have laughed and moved on.. it's not the car you're driving it's just him getting peed off by you being on the road.

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Tue May 23, 2017 10:58 pm

Why would you not report it? Next time the old Dutch granny that pisses him off may not be so lucky.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

ranski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ranski » Tue May 23, 2017 11:07 pm

ben g wrote: ↑Tue May 23, 2017 10:58 pm Why would you not report it? Next time the old Dutch granny that pisses him off may not be so lucky.
I think the police force have enough on their plate, than finding some chump who's been waving an airsoft gun around.

Z4 3.0 / Mods done... too many to mention

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Tue May 23, 2017 11:10 pm

Am ganny sleep on it....
Reason that i'm retiscent to report it is due to not wanting to have to get involved in something that could be blown out of proportion insofaras my address being read out in a court if the cops do actually decide to trace and prosecute the fekker.
Its a quandary for sure :/

Thanks for empathising/sympathising all
:thumbsup:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Tue May 23, 2017 11:12 pm

ranski wrote: ↑Tue May 23, 2017 11:07 pm
ben g wrote: ↑Tue May 23, 2017 10:58 pm Why would you not report it? Next time the old Dutch granny that pisses him off may not be so lucky.
I think the police force have enough on their plate, than finding some chump who's been waving an airsoft gun around.
It's an offence in the UK (fake / Air Gun / real ) and treated seriously. So probably is in the Netherlands.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Young Pretender

Post by Young Pretender » Tue May 23, 2017 11:20 pm

Unless there's CCTV I don't think reporting three digits of a reg will achieve much. You might take some comfort in installing a dashcam.. I went out and fitted one after a recent incident and feel better for it. Admittedly it didn't involve a pistol though :o