Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dealer has totalled my 30k miles engine!

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Wed May 24, 2017 5:01 pm

Deep breath ............ not the Z4 fortunately, but I need to vent!

So I took my (daughters) 3 year old Hyundai i20 to the local dealer for a routine 'big' service and get a call at the end of the day to say they needed a part for the window fault I reported, so would be a day or so, fair enough I thought. Couple of days later I get a call to say that during the service the ceramic end of one spark plug broke up and fell in to the cylinder and was being troublesome to get out, plus some BS about vacuum clearance not doing it, "unfortunately the head would have to come off". A new loan car was supplied but I was pretty annoyed.

Two more days passed with no word so I rocked up today and walked in to the workshop (on a mission) to find my car, there it is on the ramp with everything out, front end, suspension, engine the lot! None of the staff would discuss my accusation that this was "no head-off job", Question: "had some gibbon run the engine with bits inside?" No answers and scuttle of disappearing staff whilst I waited for the MD.

He was pretty meek, when I explained that I knew the Hyundai 'book' says a head gasket replacement was 6 Hrs and wasn't an engine out job, "so lets stop the bulls4it" . He quickly fess'es up, as suspected they had run up the engine with ceramic bits in the pot, scoring the bore and damaging a piston & ring. But the best was to come, "it's OK" he had a replacement engine on the way with the same age/miles. He looked pleased with the offer, but I pointed out a) I wasn't having an engine of unknown history from a scrapper b) no fecker had discussed this with me, so it wasn't happening. He was a bit crestfallen and asked if I wanted my engine bore honed and a graded over-size piston fitted. "Nope, no way" I say, "new engine or legal action" (Now, I knew that's not going to happen, the cost of a new full engine would write off the car and legally I'm only entitled to restoration of my goods to a 'like condition', not 'betterment' by way of new for old).
Moments pass as I left the silence for him (awkward for staff watching) then, weirdly he offers to take the engine out of a later, lower mileage car they have in stock, 1 owner sold by the dealer with FSH, and swap it. So I've reluctantly accepted this, and to knockoff the £250 service bill and including a new full clutch on my gearbox whilst it's out. I'm being supplied with a copy of their cars V5 to prove the source and letter supporting the work.

I'm never going to be happy, short of a new engine which isn't going to happen, but does it seem a reasonable offer? :x
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Wed May 24, 2017 5:17 pm

Blimey :o
good that you stood up for yourself.
'Never ever take any s**t from anyone ever' is my personal motto :thumbsup:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Wed May 24, 2017 5:20 pm

Chris_D wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 5:17 pm Blimey :o
Apart from that guy who upset you in the Merc the other day :?
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Wed May 24, 2017 5:41 pm

That this has tried to be covered up would be the negotiating point I would pursue with Hyundai head office to source a brand new engine. I doubt they would like that sort of bad press, and it would spread like wildfire on social media... Worth a shot.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Wed May 24, 2017 6:01 pm

Bu**er!!!

If they haven't started on the engine removal from the stock car it might be more cost effective for them to swap cars with you (they have a replacement engine for yours after all) assuming that colour; trim and options are acceptable. Well you never know!

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Wed May 24, 2017 6:12 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 5:41 pm That this has tried to be covered up would be the negotiating point I would pursue with Hyundai head office to source a brand new engine. I doubt they would like that sort of bad press, and it would spread like wildfire on social media... Worth a shot.
Yes I did think about pushing via Hyundai UK but I know from experience they differentiate between a product issue that's effectively a manufacturer fault, and a complete fook-up by dealers who are a separate business entity, they'l tell them to sort it.
Getting a fair deal with sweetners is a lot different to getting a full new engine that's actually going to write-off the car and leave me with substantial 'betterment', something I'm not legally entitled to. If push came to shove the dealer could legally write the car off and I'd get no more than trade-low retail price, just as if they had crashed the thing.

I'm thinking the offer is fair, all I want in addition are the grease monkeys balls on a plate! I've changed hundreds of plugs over the years and never dropped bits in, I always have a look at them to check colour/burning etc so I just cant understand how he managed it then ran the engine. :headbang:
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Wed May 24, 2017 6:14 pm

mr wilks wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 5:20 pm
Chris_D wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 5:17 pm Blimey :o
Apart from that guy who upset you in the Merc the other day :?
Apart from when you're confronted by someone with a potentially lethal weapon. Then you need to run like hell :lol:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Wed May 24, 2017 6:17 pm

Crazy Harry wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 6:01 pm Bu**er!!!

If they haven't started on the engine removal from the stock car it might be more cost effective for them to swap cars with you (they have a replacement engine for yours after all) assuming that colour; trim and options are acceptable. Well you never know!
It's a good shout but unfortunately theirs is a base spec 5 door grandpa special in recession white, daughter likes her up-spec metallic 3 door (Coupe' :wink: ) with toys.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Wed May 24, 2017 6:31 pm

Ewazix wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 6:12 pm
Scooba_Steve wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 5:41 pm That this has tried to be covered up would be the negotiating point I would pursue with Hyundai head office to source a brand new engine. I doubt they would like that sort of bad press, and it would spread like wildfire on social media... Worth a shot.
Yes I did think about pushing via Hyundai UK but I know from experience they differentiate between a product issue that's effectively a manufacturer fault, and a complete fook-up by dealers who are a separate business entity, they'l tell them to sort it.
Getting a fair deal with sweetners is a lot different to getting a full new engine that's actually going to write-off the car and leave me with substantial 'betterment', something I'm not legally entitled to. If push came to shove the dealer could legally write the car off and I'd get no more than trade-low retail price, just as if they had crashed the thing.

I'm thinking the offer is fair, all I want in addition are the grease monkeys balls on a plate! I've changed hundreds of plugs over the years and never dropped bits in, I always have a look at them to check colour/burning etc so I just cant understand how he managed it then ran the engine. :headbang:
Not a bad outcome given the circumstances.
How did it happen - I suspect as with all garages the basic service stuff, plugs filters, oil, etc. is given to the trainee, rookie, whatever, who did the job, put the new plugs in, kept quiet and only when started up did an experience mech. realise something was wrong.
Strange why the dealer thought it reasonable to try to stick a scrapper motor in and leave you with a car with non matching numbers
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Wed May 24, 2017 6:37 pm

Ewazix wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 6:12 pm

Totally get what youre saying but I still think it's worth a try. The bad press alone could cost them more than a new lump. I'm not sure how the dealer could write the car off as it's not theirs to write off. You could ask them to leave it on the forecourt while you decide, in bits with a sign on - "Only came in for a service..."
It's the trying to cover it up that I would be pushing, were they going to return the car having put a new engine in and tell you at that point...? While you're only entitled to be back to where you were I'd happily argue that I shouldn't have an engine I know nothing about from a fundamental error through no fault of my own.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Wed May 24, 2017 7:00 pm

Cheers guys,

Yes the covering up is the most amazing part of the saga, the MD denied it but I actually think they were going to try to do the engine swap and hand it back without saying anything about it. If I hadn't smelt a rat and gate-crashed the workshop to see what was going on it could have all been brushed over with BS.

The irony is I only took it to the main dealer to maintain the warranty (yes I know about the Euro block exemption saying you can get it serviced at any MOT registered garage, but it's not cast iron if non-oem parts are fitted).
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Wed May 24, 2017 7:13 pm

I know that plugs can be broken but in all my days of changing plugs I have never broken one.
How did a dealer manage to break one?
And if they did break it, surely they should have hoovered out the broken bits before completely removing the rest of the plug rather than risk anything falling in.
I wonder if they would have told you about the replacement engine at all if you hadnt walked in.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Wed May 24, 2017 7:35 pm

Cheers guys, I'm cooling off now, I should get it back with a later, lower mileage engine, new clutch and no service bill.

It's the daughters car and I've just been watching the news, worse things happen out there, far, far worse things :(
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed May 24, 2017 7:53 pm

Blimey just catching up on this one. What a bunch of sharks. Good that you hooked em up and got some sort of workable result. :thumbsup:

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed May 24, 2017 8:09 pm

I'm guessing the monkey dropped a new plug and then fitted it where upon it broke.