Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Goodwood - every low cloud has a silver lining

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paulgs1000 » Mon May 29, 2017 7:16 pm

I was 60 this year and my children bought me a very special present - a helicopter flight in formation with a Spitfire and Hurricane.
The flight was from Goodwood (a fair distance from Newcastle upon Tyne). Steph and I set off for her family farm in Cambridge, from there I drove to London to stay the night with my eldest Dan. We drove to Goodwood the next morning and I feared that despite the beautiful sunshine over the previous days, Saturday was forecast for interesting weather heading in form the West and likely to effect the South West. We arrived with an hour to spare so sat in the marvellous Control Tower café (which has a brilliant view of the race track - there was a Lotus track day on) when I received a phone call saying that the flight had been cancelled due to low cloud :cry:

We were invited to spend time meeting the owners, pilots and mechanics as well as look around the hanger and fighters. Everyone was very friendly and enthusiastic and I doubt we would have had this time and experience had the flight taken place.

I'd encourage anyone who hasn't visited Goodwood to do so - a brilliant place full of history and in wonderful condition. We got to wander around most the afternoon and with a skid pan and a track day in progress we had a fantastic visit.

Despite the effort and cost of travelling down, I'm looking forward to having to do it all again - and hopefully get to fly with the Spitfire and my favourite, the Hurricane (a Battle of Britain veteran with 5 confirmed BB kills).

[IMG]http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz18 ... C_6791.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz18 ... C_6753.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz18 ... 141231.jpg[/IMG]
Now Porsche flat 6 experience, 986S & 981S.
2006 Z4MR Imola Red/Imola Red, 2008 3.0si Sport Stratus Grey/Piano black, 2006 2.0I Sport Silver Grey Facelift. MX5, TVR Chimaera, many motorbikes.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Mon May 29, 2017 7:23 pm

Looking well Paul :) at least you made the best of it & sure just being there was enjoyment enough :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paulgs1000 » Mon May 29, 2017 7:51 pm

mr wilks wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 7:23 pm Looking well Paul :) at least you made the best of it & sure just being there was enjoyment enough :thumbsup:
Cheers Andy. :thumbsup:

For anyone who grew up reading the 'Victor' and 'Valiant' comics and 'Commando' comic books this is a dream trip and Goodwood felt very special indeed. :D

[IMG]http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz18 ... 251261.jpg[/IMG]
2006 Z4MR Imola Red/Imola Red, 2008 3.0si Sport Stratus Grey/Piano black, 2006 2.0I Sport Silver Grey Facelift. MX5, TVR Chimaera, many motorbikes.

metal licker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by metal licker » Mon May 29, 2017 7:55 pm

Better luck next time Paul :thumbsup:
The Spitfire is a beautiful machine !
718 4.0 GTS Boxster in YELLOW :driving:
718 Guards Red Boxster .........Gone!
A35 AMG saloon .........Gone!
JCW ...........Gone !
E89 35i Msport VO ................Gone !
E89 23i SE DSB ................Gone !

Hello to Jason Isaacs

paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paulgs1000 » Mon May 29, 2017 8:22 pm

metal licker wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 7:55 pm Better luck next time Paul :thumbsup:
The Spitfire is a beautiful machine !
I agree the Spitfire is achingly beautiful but my kids know their Dad has a particular love for the Hurricane. This was the only place they could get me in the air with a Hurricane as well as a Spitfire (not many Hurricanes still flying).

Looking forward to getting down there again :thumbsup:

wegras

Post by wegras » Mon May 29, 2017 8:55 pm

Paul ,you were so unlucky with weather, it had been perfect around Goodwood last week ( live a mile away from circuit)
Hope you can get a rematch, it will be a memorable event
2007 Z4 3.0 si Sport Auto Monaco Blue Roadster / 2013 X1 2.5d Auto M Sport White
1st BMW a 2002 when they were current ..! and wife has a 2014 Mini Cooper auto
All BMW family

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Mon May 29, 2017 9:43 pm

Hi Paul. Such a shame but your 'consolation prize' was pretty special and you can still look forward to the 'main event' next time ! :D
I'm very envious of you because since I was a small boy I've been fanatical about aircraft in general and more specifically WWII 'Warbirds'. I don't know if you've ever been to an airshow at IWM Duxford, but as you appreciate the finer points of the Hawker Hurricane then you would really love a weekend at the Flying Legends weekend in July. It's been my annual 'obsession' for the last 10 years now...just superb ! If the weather's good then it is truly awesome. Watch this ! https://youtu.be/ZTyQINjOicM :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

AlfaScozzesi

Post by AlfaScozzesi » Mon May 29, 2017 9:50 pm

Still looks like a great day to me and as has been said above you get see them again, and from the air next time!

Lots of pics please from you or Steph on the fly past. :thumbsup:

paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paulgs1000 » Mon May 29, 2017 10:11 pm

wegras wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 8:55 pm Paul ,you were so unlucky with weather, it had been perfect around Goodwood last week ( live a mile away from circuit)
Hope you can get a rematch, it will be a memorable event
Lucky you wegras :thumbsup: If I lived that close I'd be there a lot - there were lots of interesting cars even in the car park - magic place :thumbsup:

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Mon May 29, 2017 10:27 pm

If your allowed spectators Paul give us a shout, only just down the road.

paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paulgs1000 » Mon May 29, 2017 10:28 pm

patriot66 wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 9:43 pm Hi Paul. Such a shame but your 'consolation prize' was pretty special and you can still look forward to the 'main event' next time ! :D
I'm very envious of you because since I was a small boy I've been fanatical about aircraft in general and more specifically WWII 'Warbirds'. I don't know if you've ever been to an airshow at IWM Duxford, but as you appreciate the finer points of the Hawker Hurricane then you would really love a weekend at the Flying Legends weekend in July. It's been my annual 'obsession' for the last 10 years now...just superb ! If the weather's good then it is truly awesome. Watch this ! https://youtu.be/ZTyQINjOicM :thumbsup:
Good man - sounds like me :thumbsup: Luckily, my wife's family has a farm in the Fens and it's only 25 mins to Duxford. Been visiting for over 20 years and a Friend of Duxford for many years (with my Father in Law up to his sad passing last year). Get to visit a great deal and what a place if you like aviation. Normally a trip to Duxford is a given if we are down the farm. Nice 'Friends' seating area with free tea/coffee and toilets at their Airshows if you're a member - no standing allowed in the seating area :thumbsup: .

Nice to hear from a WW2 aviation fan :thumbsup: Have you been to see the Shuttleworth Collection at Old Warden? They have another of my great favourites of WW2, the Lysander. Some fabulous stuff at Cosford and Hendon too . . . :thumbsup:
AlfaScozzesi wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 9:50 pm Still looks like a great day to me and as has been said above you get see them again, and from the air next time!

Lots of pics please from you or Steph on the fly past. :thumbsup:
The gift is one of those 'Red Letter' days - the helicopter takes off and the Hurricane and Spitfire fly around it and make simulated attacks - really looking forward to seeing these warbirds up close in the sky. I've flown at Duxford in one of their Tiger Moths (qualified on microlights 3 axis at Carlisle) in the same airspace and in the circuit as the Battle of Britain pilots but this will be very special.

paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paulgs1000 » Mon May 29, 2017 10:33 pm

srhutch wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 10:27 pm If your allowed spectators Paul give us a shout, only just down the road.
Well I never! ! There is a large viewing area (with a section to see into the hanger) but when they are flying visitors are not allowed airside, only us 'passengers'
I've got to re-arrange the date - their are some options available through the rest of the year. Have sent them an email with my preferred times but no confirmation yet. Will let you know by pm. :thumbsup:

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Mon May 29, 2017 10:35 pm

paulgs1000 wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 10:33 pm
srhutch wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 10:27 pm If your allowed spectators Paul give us a shout, only just down the road.
Well I never! ! There is a large viewing area (with a section to see into the hanger) but when they are flying visitors are not allowed airside, only us 'passengers'
I've got to re-arrange the date - their are some options available through the rest of the year. Have sent them an email with my preferred times but no confirmation yet. Will let you know by pm. :thumbsup:
If your unlucky pvr could even pop along :lol: