Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Lung paralysis some questions answered.

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Clarkie

Post by Clarkie » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:54 am

John I am new on here and I am not often moved to posting but your story struck a chord with me. I am father of a daughter who has had her fair share of medical drama - at one point we didnt think she would walk and would have no effective vision - 18 years on and she is currently in the middle of A levels - physically completely able - albeit partially sighted - but basically just another stroppy teenager...... so what relevance does this have - well the one thing I have learnt over the years of medical intervention/clinics/consultations etc is that the Medics dont have all the answers - they just work on the last set of information they have and/or experiences and cases they have seen - they are fallible - and often the wait and see reaction is all they can do. So in this context the most important thing is to maintain positivity and humour - keep these throughout and things will get better because mentally you will be in the right place. From your post I think you have that state of mind already which I really respect - keep going... It will get better .. I truly wish you and your family all the best.
SOLD 2007 Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport Montego Blue/Pearl Grey

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:38 pm

Sorry to read that its not really positive news, John - did have my fingers crossed for better. Glad to see you're remaining positive though, and that recovery isn't ruled out. BTW - our next door neighbour is fully active, cycles, walks everywhere etc and he operates on just one lung, but please don't take him as a role model - he's an arsehole. :wink:

Chin up mate, there are plenty of us on here that are wishing good things for you - although there is sometimes a lapse when you post a crappy joke :D
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

Darren Slone
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Darren Slone » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:54 pm

Just to say if any of you go and see John for a catch up and cuppa it's really worth it, he's a great guy with a cracking sense of humour, just one thing ....... take your own biscuits! :lol: :poke:

Current Porsche Cayman S 987.1

Now sold - Imola Z4MC

Now sold - Silver Grey Z4MC
OEM CSL’s, Supersprint, Gruppe M, Eibachs, Carbon Roof, carbon rear spoiler,,

Now sold - My other Z
‘71 Datsun 240Z imported from West Coast USA

Bumpy

Post by Bumpy » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:50 am

john-e89 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:46 pmThe down side is there's another 2 years wait on 24/7 oxygen which is not only impacts me but my family as well, mostly my son who at 10 is wanting to do more with me out and about and I simply can't do it, I can't take him cycling or walking or swimming etc, it's such a shame, but he's very understanding, which in a way makes it worse as I feel so sorry for him. But he's got mates and does a lot elsewhere, so he'll be fine but it's far from what I wanted for him, we have a very very good relationship and he's leaning towards me now rather than his mum as he grows out of young childhood.
Hi John
Such troubling news. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Two freekin' years to wait. Tell that Doc to make up his mind cause you have stuff to do !
Your son is 10 and you feel badly because you have denied him father / son activity time ?
My bet is the kid sees his Dad as his Hero .
You focus on stuff you can't do with him ?
Cripes, my 2 kids had just about no interest in anything I liked to do. So you might not be missing out on anything.
You think I liked getting up at 4am to wait outside a mall to get in line for a Maple Bear Beanie Baby ?
(Actually that was alot of fun, but my point is that if everyone is considerate of each other, then there will be no problems finding crazy stuff to share with your kid.)
What to do ?
Lots of stuff that you can do.
Forget about the stuff you can't cause that stuff just doesn't count.
Plus getting depressed over what you thought you are missing out on, is a waste of time.

So Cheers and <3 to you and yours
Bumpy

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:38 am

Darren Slone wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:54 pm Just to say if any of you go and see John for a catch up and cuppa it's really worth it, he's a great guy with a cracking sense of humour, just one thing ....... take your own biscuits! :lol: :poke:
Typical North / South divide again :rofl:
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Havard

Post by Havard » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:20 am

Hi John.

Without going back and reading your threads, how did this all start with you?

Please don't apologise about talking openly about this either. It is great that people get subjects like this out in the open and it may actually help others in the future, if they know your symptoms and what process you had to go through.

Chin up and I hope that things improve for you and your family. As you have said, there are many families who's situation changes overnight and they don't get chance to do or say the things they want. Having this time in limbo must be frustrating but time is what you have and you can make the best of that, even with restrictions.

H.
ImageImage

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:53 am

Thank you all so much for the well wishes, some poignant posts as well, I hope you guys and your families affected continue to do well.

Thanks everyone. :thumbsup:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:56 am

pvr wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:38 am
Darren Slone wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:54 pm Just to say if any of you go and see John for a catch up and cuppa it's really worth it, he's a great guy with a cracking sense of humour, just one thing ....... take your own biscuits! :lol: :poke:
Typical North / South divide again :rofl:
It's not my place to spoil your svelt new figure with biccies Darren you foxy Adonis you..... :lol:
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:09 am

[quote=Havard post_id=1432872 time=1497082850 user_id=17595]
Hi John.

Thank you for the kind post Havard. :thumbsup:

I had a cardiac ablation op last November to cure atrial fibrillation, a rapid shallow heart beat, and unfortunately my right phrenic nerve was damaged during the op, you have one of these nerves each side of the chest which sends signals to the diaphragm muscle to tell it to work evenly, so my right lung is crushed or collapsed as the diaphragm is stationary on that side. A very rare complication of using a cold tip in an ablation procedure, approx a 0.4% chance so we've been very unlucky.
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

Havard

Post by Havard » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:14 am

john-e89 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:09 am
Havard wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:20 am Hi John.

Thank you for the kind post Havard. :thumbsup:

I had a cardiac ablation op last November to cure atrial fibrillation, a rapid shallow heart beat, and unfortunately my right phrenic nerve was damaged during the op, you have one of these nerves each side of the chest which sends signals to the diaphragm muscle to tell it to work evenly, so my right lung is crushed or collapsed as the diaphragm is stationary on that side. A very rare complication of using a cold tip in an ablation procedure, approx a 0.4% chance so we've been very unlucky.
Cheers John. Wasn't sure if was a gradual thing or not.

Best wishes for you and your recovery.

H.
ImageImage

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:31 am

Best wishes John, you always strike a chord with me as someone with lots of positivity and wish you make a full and speedy recovery and as said don't apologise, its good to share lifes problems at times :) :thumbsup:

Tim.