Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Lung paralysis some questions answered.

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:46 pm

Hey guys,

Firstly apologies for keep banging on about this but it's been rumbling along now for a while and some folk are kindly asking how things are going so I'll keep updating for the interested. :)

Yesterday I saw the top people in this area at the Royal Brompton in London, which I've had to set up as Sheffield has washed their hands of me and brushed me under the carpet hoping I'll go away as they have zero idea what to do, despite the fact the paralysis was done on their slab and the fact I can find the best people to speak to and sort out a meeting with referral help from my GP and they can't just speaks volumes. Anyway that's another issue.

Breathing tests showed a very poor level of capacity, along with a sniff test which shows a continuing zero level of movement in the right diaphragm after 6 months now. However they are saying that at this high level of phrenic nerve paralysis I need to give it another 18-24 months for any recovery to start. 3 years is a worst case cut off point at which time if there hasn't been any signs of recovery then there won't be any. Treatment in this case is simple, there isn't any, all they can do is plication, which means pulling the diaphragm down and pinning it which will hold the right lung at full stretch, it won't ever move again or give much improvement but it stops the lung being squashed and prone to infection and will allow as much oxygen transfer as possible. At the moment the lung is pushed up and being squashed by the elevated diaphragm, much like a squashed sponge. Pinning it is not reversible so if there is a breakthrough a few years down the line i won't be able to have it, so I need to know all the risks in leaving it squashed first, although these guys have been doing a research programme and so far they don't see any developments in any treatment due to the nature of phrenic nerve paralysis, and are saying plication is the only sensible option if we come to that. They can't tell me yet if I'd be on oxygen for life, that would only become apparent after plication. They also want to do a sleep test to see if there are any underlying issues and to see if a respirator will help me get some better quality sleep.

All that paints a bad picture and is entirely possible but then so is a recovery, we just won't know for another 2 years or so. On the plus side they have answered a lot of questions I had, so at least I know more now. The down side is there's another 2 years wait on 24/7 oxygen which is not only impacts me but my family as well, mostly my son who at 10 is wanting to do more with me out and about and I simply can't do it, I can't take him cycling or walking or swimming etc, it's such a shame, but he's very understanding, which in a way makes it worse as I feel so sorry for him. But he's got mates and does a lot elsewhere, so he'll be fine but it's far from what I wanted for him, we have a very very good relationship and he's leaning towards me now rather than his mum as he grows out of young childhood.

So I'm quite frankly scared, worried and yet optimistic all rolled into one big mess, but as I've said before it really could be hell of a lot worse even in the worst case scenario, that's not to sound like a martyr or anything, but you look around and see so much tradedgy elsewhere, proper grief, and I may well yet recover, let's hope so.

Cheers for reading, I won't bang on again about this now until there's an outcome so breathe easy chaps... :lol:

I know I talk rubbish, tell awful jokes on here but your support truly means a lot, I honestly feel like I've made some friends here. :thumbsup:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:05 pm

I am disappointed with that result John, I had hoped of a bit more certainty and not another number of years waiting to see what happens.

What I am not sure I quite understand - if the lungs are kept open as such, does that mean that you don't need the oxygen anymore and can back to some fitness level?
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:42 pm

You are being very level headed about this. Well done you sir :thumbsup:

I can imagine the not being able to enjoy times with your son the hardest part of all. Sounds like you and him have a great relationship. I never did much with my dad as he was always working. He was/is still my hero.
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

Austin

Post by Austin » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:55 pm

Not a lot I can say on this that will improve you situation, but for what its worth I wish you all the best with your on-going recovery and well done for the way you are handling it all. A few of us could learn a lot from you!
///MC - Bought to drive. Eventuri / Eibachs / Stubby added

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:43 pm

Thanks for your openness John. Reading your posts certainly helps me to accept the creeping restrictions brought on by simply getting older. Though I hope to never have to acclimatise to a step change, in the way you have had too. Keep that optimism and make sure life moves forward, whatever the outcome.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:48 pm

More waiting and then possibly a very tough decision there John. Difficult times for you and your family I'm sure, but I've no doubt your stoicism will be making the situation a lot easier for everyone in your life. I wish you all the best.
Last edited by Marlon on Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

maxman

Post by maxman » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:16 pm

That's a difficult read,but there is hope as you have said.Being positive as you sound will help you over the next year or so.Keep the humor coming .

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:37 pm

pvr wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:05 pm I am disappointed with that result John, I had hoped of a bit more certainty and not another number of years waiting to see what happens.

What I am not sure I quite understand - if the lungs are kept open as such, does that mean that you don't need the oxygen anymore and can back to some fitness level?
Yes 'will it recover' was the main question I had Paul, it's very very disappointing, all they can say is there's hope. It's a high level of paralysis which has been measured with a previous EMG electrode test, and from that result along with the level of breathing restrictions gives them a base to put a time needed to wait for it to start recovering should it do so. Waiting is all we can do unfortunately.

If the lung is pinned open the movement of the working left lung will push 'some' air through the right one, however each lung needs movement from the diaphragm to push and pull it open and closed like bellows so having the right side not moving severely compromises the the amount of air pushed through, the lung is missing its pump if you like. As the diaphragm is all one piece the right side not moving puts some restriction on the left side, hence I need oxygen. If the left side wasn't restricted I wouldn't need oxygen as you can live on one lung without help. As my right side diaphragm is completely static, unless there is some recovery it will always stay static and the amount of extra air drawn through the pinned open lung may not be enough to give me sufficient saturation to come off the oxygen, again we don't know, we'll only find out once it's pinned open should we get to that stage. Should there be no recovery the best I can hope for is to get to a level of fitness enough to come off the oxygen, but there is a limit to how much one compromised lung can do.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Darren Slone
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Darren Slone » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:51 pm

John I'm sorry to read that, I was hoping, like you obviously, that you wouldn't have to wait for up to 2yrs, you're an absolute top man and your attitude is fantastic, as I've said before if I can do anything to help then all you have to do is ask :thumbsup:

Current Porsche Cayman S 987.1

Now sold - Imola Z4MC

Now sold - Silver Grey Z4MC
OEM CSL’s, Supersprint, Gruppe M, Eibachs, Carbon Roof, carbon rear spoiler,,

Now sold - My other Z
‘71 Datsun 240Z imported from West Coast USA

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:22 pm

Hi John, I hope the future holds a decent recovery for you-your treatment at the responsible hospital sounds pretty dire to say the least :thumbsdown:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:09 pm

Difficult time for you john, i think that's obvious and clear. With an ambiguous outlook/prognosis it can't be the easiest thing to deal with of course and i think i speak for al of us when i say you're obviously resilient and courageous enough to deal with this debilitating situation and also for what the future holds.
Positivity and maintaining an optimistic outlook is hugely important imo and certainly helped me through 3 months of hosi with pericarditis. You've been subjected to your particular condition for a lot longer and via the forum have kept us up to date and informed as to developments while all the time maintaining a sense of humour and a positive outlook and that's certainly a credit to you.
I hope in time things improve for you so that you can reclaim some semblance of normality before this situation came about. I'm absolutely positive that you will have a renewed appreciation for life, living and health when things start to get better. I know i did and still have! Until then, keep strong, keep positive and keep active on the forum!
:thumbsup:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RickRob » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:46 pm

My thoughts are with you. Positive thinking is a powerful thing and you have to keep your sense of ultimate optimism. Good luck!
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Grumpyowl » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:47 pm

Wow wasn't expecting that John.
I'm sorry your in limbo, a wait and see time. fingers crossed that you start to see some improvements soon.

Having had the pleasure and privilege to meet you and your son recently he came across as a very bright and mature young man and he's I'm sure just happy and pleased to be with his dad.

No bullshit here I have to say you inspired me with your positivity, keep your pecker. up and I wish you and your family all the best for the future.

Don't stop posting updates we all want to know how things are progressing.

Jim.

Silverzedtom

Post by Silverzedtom » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:11 pm

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

I was very close to my grandad when he was alive, he sustained severe injuries to his leg when he was 17 as he was knocked off of his bike and run over by a bus. He couldn't join us for walks, play with me when I was a kid or do much at all to be honest. He never liked to talk about it but he was a great cricketer and had potential to take it further than just a hobby.

My grandad is my hero despite being limited in terms of what he could do with me and his other grandchildren. I haven't a bad memory of him. His sense of humour made me laugh for hours on end and I have countless stories to tell my kids when I have them. Try not to over think about what you can / can't do with your children, they love you for who you are.

Sounds like the road to recovery is longer than planned but wishing you all the best :thumbsup:
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:49 am

Hi John, sorry that it's not good news mate, but medical advances are happening all the time and we don't know what's around the corner. It's not a good situation, most of use take our health for granted, but reading this makes you realise how lucky we are.

Anyway, if your going to be stuck at home for another 2 years, does that mean more bad jokes then :wink:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981