Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Car sale ...paypal?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Car sale ...paypal?

Post by mr.tourette » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:07 am

Just sold my daily on the bay..its now old enough to be considered a sub £1000 beater and after 8 years of faithful service decided its time to move on..anyhow after dealing with several idiots I seemed to get a reasonable offer this morning and hoped for a straightforward transaction ...however the buyer has now stated he wants to pay by paypal and send a collection service. In theory I dont have much of an issue with that but am wary of scams. Paypal protection dont seem to cover any type of vehicle so they shouldnt be able to try a chargeback.

Anyone have any first hand experience in this? Should I give it a wide berth? Will try and contact paypal directly after work but wanted to gather any collective knowledge.

Cheers
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

85genius

Car sale ...paypal?

Post by 85genius » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:24 am

Absolutely no chance!

Check the paypal t&c you are only covered as a seller if YOU use an approved delivery service which offers online tracking.

You are never covered with paypal if the buyer collects, all they have to do is tick a box to say they never recieved it and when you cant provide the online tracking they get a refund
Audi quattro driver :o
NOW SOLD - Ruby Black 3.0 SI Roadster :(
Previous - E85 2.5 Ti Silver - See avatar photo - R.I.P Destroyed by a Tranny

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Car sale ...paypal?

Post by TitanTim » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:25 am

Personally I would ask them to do a bank transfer so it's instant and you can see the money in your account. The buyer shouldn't have any problems with that and gives you the reasurance the money is there.

Tim.

85genius

Car sale ...paypal?

Post by 85genius » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:26 am

And yes I'm a cynical f**k and there is every chance your buyer could be legit, BUT having worked in retail for a very long time and most of that now online I have been stung or at least attempted to be stung by scammers enough times to know when to walk away from a sale, and this is definitely a walk away moment unless they will pay cash or BACS

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Car sale ...paypal?

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:26 am

Not in a million years... Slightest issue with the car and Paypal WILL take the money back from you, all of it... And there's also the chance that a less than scrupulous buyer will simply raise an "issue" resulting in the same. Paypal may not cover vehicles, however there is nothing stopping the buyer from doing a chargeback on the card used to pay.

Mike

pvr
Legend
Legend

Car sale ...paypal?

Post by pvr » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:31 am

Who pays the fees anyway?
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Car sale ...paypal?

Post by mr.tourette » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:40 am

Thanks gents..I have already told him small deposit via payal and the rest by bacs but not heard back... What about friends and family payments? they are unrecoverable once sent if I recall correctly? Just trying to keep my options open as I have had to relist twice already due to knobheads :D
At this rate I will probably end up sending it to the local auction house

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Car sale ...paypal?

Post by mr.tourette » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:42 am

Ok ..I smell a rat..he has declined bacs payment and has offered to send extra to cover the fees so he obviously wants some kind of paypal coverage...ffs I hate ebay

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Car sale ...paypal?

Post by Chris_D » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:43 am

mr.tourette wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:07 am Just sold my daily on the bay..its now old enough to be considered a sub £1000 beater and after 8 years of faithful service decided its time to move on..anyhow after dealing with several idiots I seemed to get a reasonable offer this morning and hoped for a straightforward transaction ...however the buyer has now stated he wants to pay by paypal and send a collection service. In theory I dont have much of an issue with that but am wary of scams. Paypal protection dont seem to cover any type of vehicle so they shouldnt be able to try a chargeback.

Anyone have any first hand experience in this? Should I give it a wide berth? Will try and contact paypal directly after work but wanted to gather any collective knowledge.

Cheers
Strictly 'cash on delivery' for private sale of anything in my book. :thumbsup:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Car sale ...paypal?

Post by MACK » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:49 am

I understand what folks are saying about Paypal and Ebay buyer protection. But if vehicles are specifically excluded from this and the vehicle collection company give you paperwork to prove you sent it (especially if you its the buyers appointed collection company). Won't that effectively be the same as say sending an item you have sold on Ebay via a postal company with a tracking number?

It could just be the buyer is skint and wants to purchase the car using a credit card, which I believe they can do through Paypal but won't be able to use for a bank transfer.

Or am I missing something here?
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Car sale ...paypal?

Post by mr wilks » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:51 am

Wouldn't use PP for anything more than a box of Frosties :cry: so heavily loaded in favour of the buyer :(
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Car sale ...paypal?

Post by mr.tourette » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:56 am

Thats a good point Mack but I did offer him the option of a friends and family payment on paypal which he declined. I will call paypal tonight for clarification
edit ..he has just messaged me saying he will send friends and family payment Monday if I can wait until then...maybe he is skint?
Gives me time to chase paypal up anyhow

85genius

Car sale ...paypal?

Post by 85genius » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:57 am

MACK wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:49 am I understand what folks are saying about Paypal and Ebay buyer protection. But if vehicles are specifically excluded from this and the vehicle collection company give you paperwork to prove you sent it (especially if you its the buyers appointed collection company). Won't that effectively be the same as say sending an item you have sold on Ebay via a postal company with a tracking number?

It could just be the buyer is skint and wants to purchase the car using a credit card, which I believe they can do through Paypal but won't be able to use for a bank transfer.

Almost all credit cards can be used to transfer cash to your account. to be honest its more using someone to collect it that I see as really dodgy. Who buys a car without looking at it, its almost certain to cost more to get it picked up than get a train/national express/megabus even ryanair to pick the thing up yerself.

And no doesnt matter who the collection company if its not a paypal approved delivery company with online tracking (it wont be) the buyer only has to tick couple of boxes in his paypal account to get a full refund

85genius

Car sale ...paypal?

Post by 85genius » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:00 am

mr.tourette wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:56 am Thats a good point Mack but I did offer him the option of a friends and family payment on paypal which he declined. I will call paypal tonight for clarification
edit ..he has just messaged me saying he will send friends and family payment Monday if I can wait until then...maybe he is skint?
Gives me time to chase paypal up anyhow
Just remember friends and family payment can be funded by a credit card (buyer pays the fees) which means that whilst it cant be subject to a paypal case can be subject to a charge-back through the credit card company eg. if he is using a stolen credit card, or even if he isnt a full on scammer just he decided he didn't like the car and found a fault

NickDE

Car sale ...paypal?

Post by NickDE » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:01 am

MACK wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:49 am I understand what folks are saying about Paypal and Ebay buyer protection. But if vehicles are specifically excluded from this and the vehicle collection company give you paperwork to prove you sent it (especially if you its the buyers appointed collection company). Won't that effectively be the same as say sending an item you have sold on Ebay via a postal company with a tracking number?

I'm with you on this. I use PP more and more as it's quick, easy and no need to reveal my bank details in any way to the seller.
If they are willing to do a Friends and Family payment (that is not linked to any specific purchase) and pay the fees, they are taking the risks. They are effectively giving you cash up front. Then just make sure the collection company sign for the car - also important to avoid speeding/parking tickets
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic