Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Car sale ...paypal?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
85genius

Car sale ...paypal?

Post by 85genius » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:04 am

NickDE wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:01 am
MACK wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:49 am I understand what folks are saying about Paypal and Ebay buyer protection. But if vehicles are specifically excluded from this and the vehicle collection company give you paperwork to prove you sent it (especially if you its the buyers appointed collection company). Won't that effectively be the same as say sending an item you have sold on Ebay via a postal company with a tracking number?

It could just be the buyer is skint and wants to purchase the car using a credit card, which I believe they can do through Paypal but won't be able to use for a bank transfer.

Or am I missing something here?
I'm with you on this. I use PP more and more as it's quick, easy and no need to reveal my bank details in any way to the seller.
If they are willing to do a Friends and Family payment (that is not linked to any specific purchase) and pay the fees, they are taking the risks. They are effectively giving you cash up front. Then just make sure the collection company sign for the car - also important to avoid speeding/parking tickets
Sorry mate you are wrong here, as much as I like paypal as a buyer as a seller you leave yourself open to abuse by dodgy buyers, sometimes you can fight it and I did recently fight a case where a scammer tried to seat a £400 mattress off me, but alos lost a case earlier this year where some t**t stole a bed.

Friends and family is fine from friends and family but is really shady when dealing with randoms as like I mentioned in my last post it can be cc funded and therefore charged back. It is NOT the same as cash or BT
Audi quattro driver :o
NOW SOLD - Ruby Black 3.0 SI Roadster :(
Previous - E85 2.5 Ti Silver - See avatar photo - R.I.P Destroyed by a Tranny

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Car sale ...paypal?

Post by Ewazix » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:06 am

One read of this sorry list of problems should convince you not to touch full payment with PalPal. It seems that PP don't offer buyer protection on cars but it still happens and there are sub-scams where people pay their PayPal account with a credit card, then charge back via that.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Dis ... uage=en-gb

Scammers operate because sellers get greedy or desperate and take a chance despite their gut feeling.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Car sale ...paypal?

Post by mr.tourette » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:09 am

Im going to tread carefully for sure and see what occurs on Monday if the payment lands. In the meantime I will contact paypal tonight. If he sends a collection company I will get their details in advance and check them out and get written confirmation as well as a signed reciept on collection. I will check the t and c of paypal friends and family payments but Im pretty sure having used it myself that there is no possible comeback on it.

Im not going to proceed with anything unless Im 100% sure there is no possible comeback...tbh Id rather run the car for another year whilst saving for a new daily than take any risks..Ill keep you all informed and thank you for the feedback gents..it is much appreciated
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

85genius

Car sale ...paypal?

Post by 85genius » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:11 am

mr.tourette wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:09 am Im going to tread carefully for sure and see what occurs on Monday if the payment lands. In the meantime I will contact paypal tonight. If he sends a collection company I will get their details in advance and check them out and get written confirmation as well as a signed reciept on collection. I will check the t and c of paypal friends and family payments but Im pretty sure having used it myself that there is no possible comeback on it.

Im not going to proceed with anything unless Im 100% sure there is no possible comeback...tbh Id rather run the car for another year whilst saving for a new daily than take any risks..Ill keep you all informed and thank you for the feedback gents..it is much appreciated
Seriously do not accept a friends and family payment from someone you don't know for that kind of money. If he can do paypal gift he can do BT

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Car sale ...paypal?

Post by mr.tourette » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:13 am

85genius wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:04 am
MACK wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:49 am I understand what folks are saying about Paypal and Ebay buyer protection. But if vehicles are specifically excluded from this and the vehicle collection company give you paperwork to prove you sent it (especially if you its the buyers appointed collection company). Won't that effectively be the same as say sending an item you have sold on Ebay via a postal company with a tracking number?

It could just be the buyer is skint and wants to purchase the car using a credit card, which I believe they can do through Paypal but won't be able to use for a bank transfer.

Or am I missing something here?
I'm with you on this. I use PP more and more as it's quick, easy and no need to reveal my bank details in any way to the seller.
If they are willing to do a Friends and Family payment (that is not linked to any specific purchase) and pay the fees, they are taking the risks. They are effectively giving you cash up front. Then just make sure the collection company sign for the car - also important to avoid speeding/parking tickets
Sorry mate you are wrong here, as much as I like paypal as a buyer as a seller you leave yourself open to abuse by dodgy buyers, sometimes you can fight it and I did recently fight a case where a scammer tried to seat a £400 mattress off me, but alos lost a case earlier this year where some t**t stole a bed.

Friends and family is fine from friends and family but is really shady when dealing with randoms as like I mentioned in my last post it can be cc funded and therefore charged back. It is NOT the same as cash or BT

How does that work then re the chargeback on cc ...how do they prove there was an issue to get the cc company to intervene?

Wylie1

Car sale ...paypal?

Post by Wylie1 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:16 am

I wouldn't trust anybody buying a £1000 vehicle sight unseen! If they really are skint, all the more reason to check the car out thoroughly!

Go with your instinct & walk away
Z4C 3.0si Sport 2008 | Alpine White | Black CSL'ish 19's

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Car sale ...paypal?

Post by mr.tourette » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:17 am

ugh...ffs..guess Im gonna have to cancel :(

85genius

Car sale ...paypal?

Post by 85genius » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:25 am

mr.tourette wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:13 am
85genius wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:04 am

How does that work then re the chargeback on cc ...how do they prove there was an issue to get the cc company to intervene?
Firstly its if it is actually their card but we'll come to that later....

To do a CC charge back on a car they just need to find a fault (its a sub 1k car wont be hard to do) and call the CC company the card company may say we want a confirmation from a garage, so go get a written quote to fix the fualt with the cars no plate or vin on and you got yoursen a chargeback..... Your money disappears

Other thing is it could be not their credit card ie stolen... Then the card owner notices the payment on their statement in a months time and.... Your money disappears

Third possibility not their paypal account i.e. hacked someone stole their logins and paid you, real owner of said paypal account reports an unauthorised transaction.... Your money disappears

And that si going the "safe" friends and family route... Absolutely not worth the risk IMO

85genius

Car sale ...paypal?

Post by 85genius » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:28 am

If it helps last time I sold a car on ebay the buyer was pissing around I sent a second chance offer to the next high bidder and he had BT'ed me the money and driven off with it within a couple of hours, would have been sooner but the battery died and he had to pick a new one up on his way over to collect

Wylie1

Car sale ...paypal?

Post by Wylie1 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:29 am

mr.tourette wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:17 am ugh...ffs..guess Im gonna have to cancel :(
It's annoying but better than losing your car/ money. The collection bit, i.e. a faceless transaction is the final nail in the coffin for me! They could simply be using a stolen/ cloned credit card.

There's some dodgy people out there and you just can't rely on everyone to play by the same rules honest folks live by.
Z4C 3.0si Sport 2008 | Alpine White | Black CSL'ish 19's

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Car sale ...paypal?

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:30 am

mr.tourette wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:09 am Im going to tread carefully for sure and see what occurs on Monday if the payment lands. In the meantime I will contact paypal tonight. If he sends a collection company I will get their details in advance and check them out and get written confirmation as well as a signed reciept on collection. I will check the t and c of paypal friends and family payments but Im pretty sure having used it myself that there is no possible comeback on it.

If he's using a stolen C/Card, it WILL get charged back to Paypal, and then you, regardless of it being a friends/family gift.

Mike

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Car sale ...paypal?

Post by mr.tourette » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:40 am

Ok..all noted, thanks for the advice...I will tell him bacs or cash or no deal...actually Im just going to cancel it and bite the listing fees...really cant be arsed with selling a car this way..it can go off to the auction house next year once Ive tucked a bit more cash away :headbang: :headbang:

thanks again for all the input :thumbsup:
Last edited by mr.tourette on Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

volumex65

Car sale ...paypal?

Post by volumex65 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:49 am

bank transfer or cash only for me on anything over twenty quid
You don`t need a parachute to skydive - you only need one to do it for a second time :exitright:

Car sale ...paypal?

Post by sticky » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:59 am

NO NO NO NO NO, They can claim all sorts of damage by the delivery guy, is he insured or doing a favour is he liable for anything ?????
If the car arrives in a "lesser" condition then the buyer can claim against YOU regardless of what you say. It becomes your fault and your problem to make good any "claims" arising after delivery and using PP and ebay is only good for the "buyer". PP then holds YOUR money back until you prove it was ok on handover, try proving it. That"s the scam used by some where they claim faulty goods therefore lower price

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Car sale ...paypal?

Post by TitanTim » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:06 am

If they want the car they will pay however you wish them too so if cash or instant bank transfer is a problem forget it.

Tim.