Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Robbing b******s

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Leesfarm07

Robbing b******s

Post by Leesfarm07 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:40 am

Went to Birmingham airport yesterday evening to collect my partner (she'd been enjoying a girlie weekend in amsterdam so Z4 tinkering weekend for me :D ) followed the signs for short stay pick up and parked. 55 mins later (I was a bit early tbf) I got back to the pay machine and popped my ticket in holding a tenner in my hand expecting maybe 5 or 6 quid.... £47.00 :o :o
After protesting I found out I'd parked in some sort of premium puck up which they've conveniently put where the short stay pick up car park has always been.....Robbing b******s!!!
Current
2012 Mercedes SLK 250 AMG Sport auto in black
Westfield SE 1800 Zetec on twin 45's Aldon-Tuned pocket rocket in orange
Gone but not forgotten my lovely Zed 2.5

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Robbing b******s

Post by Chris_D » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:52 am

Uk airports are becoming notorious for this. I've seen so many scouse families coming back from holiday at liverpool airport fainting with disbelief at what they have to pay ('two hundred and therrrrrrty quid!! Yeravinalaff!! :lol: ) cos they chose shortstaycarpark by mistake. Prob cost more than the holiday. :?
Its 3 quid just to pick up and if you stop on the road leading up to the airport you get busted by a permaparked coptard jobsworth. 100 quid.
So whenever i go, i walk down to the first side road where my lift can pull in and pick me upor drop me off then a 10 walk to the airport, out of sight of the cameravan twonk.
Teeven bastids, i totally agree.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Sky-drive

Robbing b******s

Post by Sky-drive » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:23 am

I run an airport transfer company and we constantly run the gauntlet for getting stung for these charges. These days my drivers and I park up near the airport, enter the flight number of the plane we are waiting for into the Google app on our phones - once the app confirms the plane has landed, give it 20 minutes for the passenger to clear the plane and customs and then contact them and ask them to meet you in the pickup/drop-off car park (rather than the arrivals hall) thus minimising parking charges.
Xenons | LED S/lights | CF Trim | Royale SW | ZHP | CDV | AUX | DISA | Vanos Refurb | Cruise | MV2s | Roof motor > boot | K&N | Sound Gen | Interior LEDs | E/H seats | Remapped

bz4kev

Robbing b******s

Post by bz4kev » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:27 am

Been stung for Liverpool airport charge my van had a warning light come on the dash stopped as it advises in handbook waiting the time it took me to turn my engine off and on again and drove off maybe 5 seconds and low and behold £100 fine in the post needless to say it was never paid told them to take a long walk off a short pier that was 2 years ago no reply was sent toss---s :lol:
2004 z4 30i auto Toledo blue stubby Areo front back sideskirts and rear spoiler M/// MFSW DLV exhaust mod mma tips vanos overhaul 108s refurbed ram air scoop E46 M3 heated seats clear rear lights M/// sport black grills

Leesfarm07

Robbing b******s

Post by Leesfarm07 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:09 pm

Really annoying though cos it directs you with massive signs to carparking 1, 2 or 3 for short stay pick up but following a line of traffic everyone turned in to what I assumed must have been one of the three. The guy at customer service that I complained to showed me the tiny sign I'd driven past telling me this car park was premium pick up or something....hence the ridiculous charges :headbang: :headbang: if it's not a money making operation why not put a massive sign warning people that it's premium rate
Current

pvr
Legend
Legend

Robbing b******s

Post by pvr » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:46 pm

I always go back to drop-off when I land, but they do make it more and more difficult as a passenger to get from Arrivals to Departures and outside again. I know a lot of the staff doors in the airport to get down emergency stairs to get back where I need to be, and avoid being stung by any charges.

I refuse to use the airport taxis as well as they rob you blind as well, so get collected from departures in any UK airport by a local firm which is literally half the price.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Robbing b******s

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:25 pm

The tip for Birmingham airport is to not go into the short stay which as you correctly say is for pickup and does cost a shed load if you park

If you go the railway station you can park in one of the free pick up slots and transit to the airport in <5 mins door to door on the elevated transit train
If you're worried about waiting there too long just check flight arrival times and cross when you know the planes in as posted above.
Do this all the time as do my family and it's free or if you must stop longer then the Virgin multi storey is a max £12 for a full day..
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Robbing b******s

Post by firebobby » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:40 pm

We did a pickup and drop off at Aberdeen airport a few year. You can drop off, but try and pickup and the gestapo are on you in a flash. It's a bloody scam.
We use "park on my drive" when using Heathrow and we catch a free bus to the airport.
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Robbing b******s

Post by Chris_D » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:43 pm

firebobby wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:40 pm We did a pickup and drop off at Aberdeen airport a few year. You can drop off, but try and pickup and the gestapo are on you in a flash. It's a bloody scam.
We use "park on my drive" when using Heathrow and we catch a free bus to the airport.
'Park on my drive' fred? That sound very congenial. Is there a 'come in for a slice of cake and cup of tea' option too?
:lol:

Hilly30si

Robbing b******s

Post by Hilly30si » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:28 am

That drop off pick up Car Park in Birmingham airport in the summer months takes 30k a day. When the airport closed for a week in 2010 during the Ash Cloud debacle their management moaned like crazy losing that much revenue. It's not the £1 that they charge for 10min it's the people who go over, like the OP. I Contracted to the main contractor and my lads were there for twelve months on a big refurb hated every bloody day
My Cars

2021 X3 M Sport loaded with Tec
1974 Triumph TR6 in Mimosa Yellow
Gone but not forgotten
2008 Z4 3.0 SI Roadster

Leesfarm07

Robbing b******s

Post by Leesfarm07 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:57 am

cj10jeeper wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:25 pm The tip for Birmingham airport is to not go into the short stay which as you correctly say is for pickup and does cost a shed load if you park

If you go the railway station you can park in one of the free pick up slots and transit to the airport in <5 mins door to door on the elevated transit train
If you're worried about waiting there too long just check flight arrival times and cross when you know the planes in as posted above.
Do this all the time as do my family and it's free or if you must stop longer then the Virgin multi storey is a max £12 for a full day..
I'll remember that in future :thumbsup:
Current

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Robbing b******s

Post by firebobby » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:35 am

Chris_D wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:43 pm
firebobby wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:40 pm We did a pickup and drop off at Aberdeen airport a few year. You can drop off, but try and pickup and the gestapo are on you in a flash. It's a bloody scam.
'Park on my drive' fred? That sound very congenial. Is there a 'come in for a slice of cake and cup of tea' option too?
We use this service a lot, normally a couple of quid for the day and you can get dropped of/pickup to & from the airport. Around Heathrow there are free buses that take you into and out off the airport. Saves paying the rip off parking charges Chris, oh, and not been offered tea and cake yet :rofl:
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Mini 1000 1981

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Robbing b******s

Post by Chris_D » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:44 am

firebobby wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:35 am
We use this service a lot, normally a couple of quid for the day and you can get dropped of/pickup to & from the airport. Around Heathrow there are free buses that take you into and out off the airport. Saves paying the rip off parking charges Chris, oh, and not been offered tea and cake yet :rofl:
Ok, it sounds like any generic park&ride gig, but i was amused by the name- it sounds like one of those grassroots socialmedia-driven type things.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Robbing b******s

Post by pvr » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:10 am

Chris_D wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:44 am

Ok, it sounds like any generic park&ride gig, but i was amused by the name- it sounds like one of those grassroots socialmedia-driven type things.
Not accessible to you Chris, the owners do not want to be left with oil stains and car parts that have dropped off on their drive ... :evil:
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Robbing b******s

Post by firebobby » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:14 am

pvr wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:10 am
Chris_D wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:44 am

Not accessible to you Chris, the owners do not want to be left with oil stains and car parts that have dropped off on their drive ... :evil:
BANG!!!! :rofl: :rofl:
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Mini 1000 1981