Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fire extinguisher. Carry one?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:53 pm

mmm-five wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:36 pm
Rob_benton wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:52 pm Brilliant advice !!

Just checked 2 powder fire extinguishers in my house that are a few years old but no expiry dates, no noise until I tapped them.
No I can hear the powder moving ( sounds like a sand egg timer).
I presume their ok now ?

Thanks again !!
They should e fine for a while, but just keep checking them regularly (every couple of months should be fine).

I've been relatively lucky when marshalling, as I've only had 2 fire events to attend.

One was at the Britcar24 at Silvertsone...which is when I fell in love with the Z4 coupe...where an M3 hit the grass on hangar straight and flipped. He hit the Armco, burst into flames and did a barrel roll...before landing back on his wheels with the onboard fire extinguisher already putting out the fire.

The other one was when a Ginetta (driven by Hunter Abbott) did a huge number of rolls at Oulton Park. The driver ultimately needed assistance to get out and had minor burns, but that thing just disintegrated in about a minute, and despite there being about 10 extinguishers on it, it barely held back the flames. Luckily, the fire tender arrived quickly and doused the rest.

BTW...the fire tender - a pick up truck with a huge foam extinguisher on the back - can exhaust its supply as quick as we can empty a 9-12 litre extra extinguisher.
:o
Watching hunters' crash brought my own experience right back! The debris, shock and disorientation. I managed 4 rolls before coming to a rest on its roof but count myself incredibly lucky to have got away with cuts and bruises and a few singed extremities.
Seatbelt definitely saved my bacon tho. :wink:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Zed Five

Post by Zed Five » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:03 am

If my car catches fire and I get out, the last thing i want is to try and extinguish. Let it burn to dust. I dont want it to be repairable.
Why is it that people who can't take advice always insist on giving it? 

E89 35is | BMW S1000rr Motorsport Ed.

AldridgeZ4

Post by AldridgeZ4 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:40 am

I have one installed in my works van. I was driving down the M42 and saw a car with smoke pouring from the rear wheels of the car in front. I flashed and got them to pull over, the rear wheels burst into flames when they stopped. I put the fire out with my trusty extinguisher. They were Yanks and not used to UK cars and had hired a car at the airport and driven down the motorway with the hand brake on. They destroyed the car within ten minutes of hiring it. Only time I've used one in 25 years of carrying one.
Now gone.......Z4MR. 2007. Boring silver.
MY05 honda S2000

mad4slalom

Post by mad4slalom » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:51 pm

I dont carry one in the z as i dont expect bavaria's finest to erupt into flames around me, ... the beach buggy, ..? Now thats a different matter 💥😬