Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sometimes new isn't better

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:17 pm

Hi all,

Just wandered if there are any radio buffs out there?. I tend to listen to the radio alot when home, probably more than watching the box. About 6 months ago I decided to give up trying to stream radio to my Bose blutooth speaker as got fed up of it disconnecting frequently. I have other modern radios but they never seem to be much cop sound wise and just look boring. Anyways I thought I would look at something a little more vintage, I'm not that bothered about blutooth and DAB etc so the world was my oyster :)

While looking around I came across a video by Techmoan who reviewed a 1970 Grundig OceanBoy 210
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CARjPj6lFE After seeing this video I thought I've got to find one of these. Fast forward 5 months after searching everywhere and a model 209 from 1969 turned up on ebay albeight located in Italy. These things are always a risk, will it work etc however the seller seemed genuine and the pics seem to show a good example so went for it.

Radio arrived today after 5 days of tracking it from Milan and all I can say is I'm absolutely blown away by this thing. The weight, the quality with solid chrome trim, the sheer size and the beautiful rich sound. I think these things were quite costly to buy in their day. Considering its 48 years old the condition is mint with virtually no wear whatsoever, what a lovely find. Shame it didn't arrive with a manual so will try and track one down. The aerial itself is over 5 feet :o

I just hope FM isn't done away with anytime soon :lol:

Tim.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:50 pm

Now that is very Cool indeed. 8)

and what a fine whippy. :D :thumbsup:

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:25 am

nice find tim!
Love retro tech and have a baziliion tube amps to play with at any given time. Can't spot the tubes on your oceanboy tho? is it all solid-state inside?

and re. a manual:
https://elektrotanya.com/grundig_ocean- ... nload.html

yw
:thumbsup:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:48 am

Thanks guys, it's fully transistorised Chris, I think by the late 60s tubes in radios were done away with. I do have a bakelite radio from the 30s that takes like 10 mins to warm up :lol:

Can't believe the whippy as nearly hits the ceiling. :o

Tim.

obewan

Post by obewan » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:57 am

I've just been clearing out my late cousins house and came across a Grundig Melody Boy - a lot smaller than yours Tim, but the tone is incredible
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:52 am

TitanTim wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:48 am Thanks guys, it's fully transistorised Chris, I think by the late 60s tubes in radios were done away with. I do have a bakelite radio from the 30s that takes like 10 mins to warm up :lol:

Tim.
kewl. yeah, most tube-driven stuff takes about 10-20mins to get 'on-song'.
I have a KT-88 headphone tube amp that takes about 30-40 mins to get fully warmed-up. I should think about investing in a decent timer to switch it on for late night jazz or drum n bass sessions :lol:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:58 pm

obewan wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:57 am I've just been clearing out my late cousins house and came across a Grundig Melody Boy - a lot smaller than yours Tim, but the tone is incredible
Hang onto it as it might be worth a bob or two if in good condition. I think Grundig radios were renowned for producing a nice tone and I think you had to be posh to afford one :)

Tim.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:00 pm

Chris_D wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:52 am
TitanTim wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:48 am Thanks guys, it's fully transistorised Chris, I think by the late 60s tubes in radios were done away with. I do have a bakelite radio from the 30s that takes like 10 mins to warm up :lol:

Tim.
kewl. yeah, most tube-driven stuff takes about 10-20mins to get 'on-song'.
I have a KT-88 headphone tube amp that takes about 30-40 mins to get fully warmed-up. I should think about investing in a decent timer to switch it on for late night jazz or drum n bass sessions :lol:
:D

Tim.