Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Zip merging

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

Zip merging

Post by Grumpyowl » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:46 pm

Why drivers who merge at the last minute are right: the benefit of zip-merging

Why drivers who merge at the last minute are right:
the benefit of zip-merging

Ever been infuriated by the sight of cars passing you in the outside lane while you wait patiently in the queue for a lane-closure ahead?
You’re not alone, but that doesn’t necessarily make you right.

Indeed, many argue those ‘queue-jumpers’ are actually helping the flow of traffic by zip-merging, even if that might not be their intention...

What exactly is zip-merging?

Zip-merging originated from America as a traffic flow measure that drivers are supposed to adopt when a motorway lane or dual lane closes leaving only one lane available.

It is intended that drivers merge at the point of the lane closure instead of indicating early and merging as soon as possible.

Should people zip merge?

Studies reveal that zip-merging reduces crashes, speeding and congestion.

In 2008, a study by Ken Johnson, a state work zone engineer in Minnesota, found three primary benefits of using zip-merging, which can be summarised as follows:

A reduction in the difference in speeds between the two lanes: without the urgency to move over, the traffic is travelling at roughly the same speed in both lanes, making the merge easier and safer.
The length of queue is reduced by up to 50%, which is critical in areas where you find junctions and slip roads.
When nobody has a perceived advantage, the potential for ‘road rage’ is reduced significantly.

The UK government seems to agrees, although this is a little grey.

See rule 134 of the Highway Code:

“You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed.

"In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily.

"Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed.”

What's the issue with zip merging?

When motorists encounter a lane closure on a motorway or dual carriageway, the majority of drivers follow the etiquette of moving over early, but this creates one long, slow line of traffic and a near-empty outside lane.

While motorists on the inside lane might think they’re doing the right thing, it can be more beneficial to continue using the open lane until the last minute, utilising all of the available road and then ‘merging in turn’ at the point at which the road narrows to a single lane.

However, many drivers find it annoying to watch fellow motorists using the outside lane as they sit stationary on the inside.

But if we remove good old-fashioned British queuing etiquette from the equation taking all emotion out of the scenario, the plain and simple fact is that two lanes of slow moving traffic are better than one.

So if cars use all of the space available to them on both lanes, it should result in the line of congestion disappearing, or at the very least reduced.

Conclusion

The crux of the issue comes down to education, or a lack of, about what is the correct driving practice.

If all drivers were taught the same, to use all of the space available on the road, then some drivers would no longer feel aggrieved when motorists try to cut in front of them, as indeed other drivers would no longer adopt a queue-jumping mentality in the first place.

A wider acceptance of zip-merging therefore requires a change in driving habits, and it could be argued this falls to the government to better highlight it, driving schools to teach more universally, more accurate signage along roads or all of the above.

Despite the studies, opinions still differ on zip-merging.

Unless you drive a BMW :D

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Zip merging

Post by Nictrix » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:47 pm

I hate it but understand that its every individuals choice whether to sit in a queue or not.
I also think that the 2 slow moving lanes will eventually end up as 1 even slower lane once they merge and I dont think it matters how cars queue it will always end up at a standstill, just 2 shorter looking queues of traffic but will probably take the same length of time to get through.
However if everybody adopted the system of using both lanes it would cut down on anger building up by the people sitting in the queue hardly moving while others speed by, cutting in making their wait in the queue longer.
What I hate more is people who know where they are going waiting till the last second before jumping from a wrong lane to the right lane to miss a queue of traffic, nothing to do with lane closures.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Zip merging

Post by buzyg » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:48 pm

What he said. :thumbsup:

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Zip merging

Post by Marlon » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:59 pm

I used to commute 30 minutes into work every day and at one section of dual carriageway the lanes merged into one (heading North on A59 Hutton dual carriageway approaching Penwortham).

Anyway I was one of the drivers patiently staying in the left hand lane before the merge while the odd one or two drivers would be whizzing down the right-hand lane and cutting in at the last minute.

It used to annoy the hell out of me. I'd see cars up ahead refusing let the overtakers back in, but eventually someone would.
The whole situation used to wind me up every morning, I even started shortening the gap to the car in front to prevent the overtakers cutting back in.

Anyway I decided to change things to try and relieve my stress levels.

I figured that I was getting stressed by trying to prevent the overtakers cutting in, therefore I began to let them in. Every time I saw one coming up the outside I would slow and allow them in, and they would usually thank me with a wave or a flash of the hazards.
This worked for several weeks but I still felt annoyed that they were shortening their commute while I was lengthening mine and I began to feel stressed again.

So I reasoned that there was really only one solution - I became the overtaker:
Every day I would take the outside lane overtaking dozens of cars each morning and then cut in at the last minute. It felt great. However, I decided that rather than quickly dart into any gap and cut someone up I would politely indicate left and wait in the right hand lane until some one let me in. 9 times out of 10 I would be allowed in and I would flash a thank you with my hazards.

So I'm that guy :)
Last edited by Marlon on Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Young Pretender

Zip merging

Post by Young Pretender » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:00 pm

Single lane queuing just means the queue is more likely to cross other traffic intersections and block up other roads. Zip merging makes perfect sense.

What is most irritating is when when you get single lane queuers who hang out in lane two to stop anyone passing! Quite ridiculous. Easily solved with basic signage telling drivers to use both lanes when there's traffic - no arguments then (in theory) :)

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Zip merging

Post by Number5 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:31 pm

The Advantage of Zip-merging is that its better to have a 1/2 mile queue of traffic in 2 lanes than it is to have a one mile queue in one lane, whilst one sits empty. This reduces the possibility of the queue extending back over the previous junction/roundabout, etc and affecting people travelling in other directions.

I think its true, that if everyone understands the policy, it does take out the frustration. I'd like to see more signs encouraging Zip merging so everybody's on the same wavelength.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Zip merging

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:39 pm

Number5 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:31 pmThe Advantage of Zip-merging is that its better to have a 1/2 mile queue of traffic in 2 lanes than it is to have a one mile queue in one lane, whilst one sits empty. This reduces the possibility of the queue extending back over the previous junction/roundabout, etc and affecting people travelling in other directions.

I think its true, that if everyone understands the policy, it does take out the frustration. I'd like to see more signs encouraging Zip merging so everybody's on the same wavelength.
Exactly - I'm all in favour of that (it's what I do). :lol:

Maybe it is a British thing, but drivers here seem to love a queue - how often do you approach traffic lights and see the queue in the nearside lane is twice as long as the offside lane even though everyone seem to be going straight on? I'm yet to work that out!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Zip merging

Post by ronk » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:44 pm

I agree with merge in turn - but it could also be argued that a log queue leaves an open lane for an ambulance or fire engine?
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Zip merging

Post by markeg » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:04 am

We have that issue at Canwick Hill in Lincoln - local council now recommends zip merging although, since the article came out, you still get the complainers ...

Link to article
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

srhutch

Zip merging

Post by srhutch » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:53 am

People don't understand what the middle lane is for on a motorway. There is no chance they will understand this. :lol: :x :!:

rooha

Zip merging

Post by rooha » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:03 pm

This is all about being british and the two types of drivers on the road ... the polite queue loving brit and the knob. neither are right ( i fall into category one). Unfortunately those in category two are overwhelmingly made up of the dreaded audi knobmobile (various models available, but all only can fit knobs in them) users; the Polo / Seat crowd; and yes - BMW road warriors.

interestingly, audi knobs whilst being the most amazingly poor drivers in the history of civilisation are so completely Mr.Magoo about their shortcomings they recently failed to own up to almost any bad behaviour in a recent survey except for undertaking and jumping red lights (but then again red is probably the only colour those twats can see, and it would take hi-def video evidence to prove to them any other cars are actually using the UKs road network)

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/car ... bad-habits

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Zip merging

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:10 pm

rooha wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:03 pmThis is all about being british and the two types of drivers on the road ... the polite queue loving brit and the knob. neither are right ( i fall into category one). Unfortunately those in category two are overwhelmingly made up of the dreaded audi knobmobile (various models available, but all only can fit knobs in them) users; the Polo / Seat crowd; and yes - BMW road warriors.
Oops, I must fall into the BMW road warrior category then!

I just can't see the point of leaving usable bits of road empty - despite my fierce warrioringness (made that word up BTW)! I actually use the inside lane on dual carriageways and motorways. :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black