Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

A Long Night Out

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
buzyg
Legend
Legend

A Long Night Out

Post by buzyg » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:32 pm

After a few injuries this year I have not done as much walking as I would like. So what possessed me to turn up on Friday evening at the Castle Inn Lydford, http://castleinnlydford.com/index.html , is a mystery.

After a boring dive up on to the Moor, in Friday evening traffic, at least they had reserved a nice safe spot for the Zed in the car park. :oops:
20170707_192935.jpg
20170707_192935.jpg (242.17 KiB) Viewed 1164 times
After a hearty meal of Steak & Ale Pie Chips and Peas, six of us set off, into the light rain, wearing a T shirt, due to the 14 deg temp, heading toward the centre of Dartmoor and our target of Fur Tor. We arrived just before midnight. Much to the surprise of another nutter who was wild camping up there.
DSCN4674.JPG
DSCN4674.JPG (96.48 KiB) Viewed 1164 times
No way to get a decent photo in the fog, with all that reflective kit. The spotty stuff in the back ground is the Dartmoor granite of Fur Tor, take my word for it. :wink:

The walk back to the car was a toughy. After the briefest of glimpses of the full moon, two river crossings, much bog and the dreaded Dartmoor tussock grass, it took us 2.5 hours to do 4 miles, before we reached the relative comfort of the Military road across the Willsworthy firing range. A total a 13.5 miles after starting out, we poured ourselves into the car park, wet through to the skin and happy. Had to feel sorry for the walk leader Steve. He had been out the night before, to the first few Tors, in beautiful starlight and was too busy apologising for the weather and a minor navigation error, to appreciate our thanks.

A change of tee shirt and socks and it was back into the car for the drive home at 03:50am

The rain had stopped the road was dry and as the clouds parted, bringing the setting full moon into glorious view ahead of us, we set of towards the first light of dawn me and the ///MR, roof down, ready to do battle with some of Devon and Cornwall's best twisties and not another vehicle in sight. :D
The stretch of road from Tavistock to Gunnislake, such a frustration in the Friday evening traffic, was now ours to do with as we liked. The right hander down over the stone bridge, at the river Lumburn, invites speed and commitment before hauling off speed into a tight hairpin bend that heads a sequence of challenging curves, sweeping upwards towards Gullworthy Cross. The ///M's 3rd gear perfect for the entire climb. The tightening turns requiring local knowledge and all that the four MPSS could give, to maintain momentum and keep the S54 singing it's glorious heart out, above 4500rpm. A brief pause in the action for the tight round about at the top, is rewarded with a nerve tingling adrenalin rush down to the narrow stone bridge at Gunnislake. The CSL brakes proving a worthy opponent for the final hair pin, as the Zed was plunged into the sudden darkness of the pine trees. Then a relaxing drive through the villages home to a welcoming bed.

All in all quite a night. Next time I might just do the drive. :wink:

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

A Long Night Out

Post by patriot66 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:14 pm

:o Don't know how you had the energy for a drive like that after such an adventure ! Respect ! :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

A Long Night Out

Post by Number5 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:51 pm

Well done Busy.. Good to hear you're living life to the max. :thumbsup:

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

A Long Night Out

Post by Marlon » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:09 am

Phew, I'm worn out just reading it :cry: - well done Buzy :thumbsup:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

buzyg
Legend
Legend

A Long Night Out

Post by buzyg » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:05 pm

Marlon wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:09 am Phew, I'm worn out just reading it :cry: - well done Buzy :thumbsup:
Didn't leave the house on Saturday Marlon. Knackered :roll: Fully recover now and looking forward to leading a walk Wednesday. Bring on the sun. 8)

Rusky

A Long Night Out

Post by Rusky » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:11 pm

Wish i could spend my days like that :thumbsup: roll on a lottery win :rofl:
3.0l Silver SMG, whippy and ginge fringe/ Sound gen mod/ Media bridge fitted (bluetooth and audio streaming) / Clear third break light/ Hard Top/ Eibachs springs and DLV back box/ Roof motor in the boot/ plus lots more.

Vonlipvig

A Long Night Out

Post by Vonlipvig » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:38 pm

Sounds lovely, and you are right, the tavi to gunnislake stretch is lovely. I normally approach from the other direction as I will start off from the torpoint ferry and work my way back, saves the toll on the tamar :P
2009 Sapphire Black 23i

buzyg
Legend
Legend

A Long Night Out

Post by buzyg » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:33 pm

Rusky wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:11 pm Wish i could spend my days like that :thumbsup: roll on a lottery win :rofl:
Just have to find the time. :poke: I was up for work, 05:45 Friday morning ahead of the walk. We are lucky to live in such a wonderful part of the world though. :D

Rusky

A Long Night Out

Post by Rusky » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:37 pm

05:45 thats a layin :thumbsup: hats off to ya for doing it on a working day though. I save my long walks for the weekend with my mate (my pooch Arthur) :thumbsup:
3.0l Silver SMG, whippy and ginge fringe/ Sound gen mod/ Media bridge fitted (bluetooth and audio streaming) / Clear third break light/ Hard Top/ Eibachs springs and DLV back box/ Roof motor in the boot/ plus lots more.

Rusky

A Long Night Out

Post by Rusky » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:37 pm

And you do live in a very beautiful part of the country :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

A Long Night Out

Post by buzyg » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:46 pm

Rusky wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:37 pm 05:45 thats a layin :thumbsup: hats off to ya for doing it on a working day though. I save my long walks for the weekend with my mate (my pooch Arthur) :thumbsup:
Only place I prefer in Britain, is the Highlands and the midges would drive me mad in the summer. Very happy to make do with Cornwall and the high moors. We even have a couple of puka mountains. :wink: Still wouldn't turn down that lottery win you mentioned though. :lol:

Rusky

A Long Night Out

Post by Rusky » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:47 pm

buzyg wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:46 pm
Rusky wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:37 pm 05:45 thats a layin :thumbsup: hats off to ya for doing it on a working day though. I save my long walks for the weekend with my mate (my pooch Arthur) :thumbsup:
Only place I prefer in Britain, is the Highlands and the midges would drive me mad in the summer. Very happy to make do with Cornwall and the high moors. We even have a couple of puka mountains. :wink: Still wouldn't turn down that lottery win you mentioned though. :lol:
Absolutely :thumbsup: :thumbsup: