Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cash ISA account error

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Cash ISA account error

Post by TitanTim » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:33 pm

Just been doing some money savings housekeeping today as you do :roll: Anyways I've got a Cash ISA account with a passbook, I haven't looked at it for just over 12 months as it's a limited access high interest account. Last time was when I went into my local branch to get some interest paid in. I didn't check the pass book afterwards and put it away when I got home, daft not too check I know. Anyways just opened it up and the cashier has put the total savings amount in twice then totalled it up so I've got twice the savings showing. It's not exactly a paltry sum so a bit of an error on the bank's part. Obviously I'm going to inform them but I actually feel quite bad I hadn't spotted the mistake before now. Have I technically and unknowingly being committing fraud? What about interest etc as it's a high interest account. Should the bank have spotted the error before now considering a year has passed through auditing etc. It was quite surreal seeing my savings doubled :lol:

I guess I just inform them and they right the error.

Interested on your thoughts before I get thrown in the clinker :)

Tim.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Cash ISA account error

Post by Smartbear » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:36 pm

their mistake, not yours Tim. Sounds as though its only an admin error anyway, if they really have doubled your money id delete this post & keep quiet about it :lol:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Cash ISA account error

Post by TitanTim » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:58 pm

Smartbear wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:36 pm their mistake, not yours Tim. Sounds as though its only an admin error anyway, if they really have doubled your money id delete this post & keep quiet about it :lol:
Rob
:lol: Thanks Rob, just curious if whats entered on the passbook is recorded on their central system or just the passbook itself, if so how come it hasn't been picked up after 12 months. I wonder if I left it and waited until the next interest is recorded if its picked up then and whether the interest would have doubled :D Unsure if it would be different if it was an everyday current account.

Tim.

maxman

Cash ISA account error

Post by maxman » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:05 pm

I thought pass books went out with ration books,Stafford must still be in the dark ages.For the crime of not owning up you should be put in the stocks for a day . :rofl:

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Cash ISA account error

Post by Ewazix » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:10 pm

Hand written pass book? branch? sounds like a slip of the quill or abacus fault, do you live in the 1920's :wink:
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Cash ISA account error

Post by TitanTim » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:18 pm

:rofl: Its with the Coop, I had a number of savings accounts and ISAS with Britannia until they went tots up so transferred it all over to the Coop. They gave me a passbook for the ISA :D When you go into the branch the cashier feeds it into teleprinter type machine :lol: Its not handwritten otherwise I would be making 3s into 8s and adding extra 000s :lol:

I think its actually classed a fraud if you don't tell the bank of an error even if you don't spend the money etc.

Tim.

Silverzedtom

Cash ISA account error

Post by Silverzedtom » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:37 pm

I wouldn't inform anyone :evil:
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Cash ISA account error

Post by TitanTim » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:50 pm

Silverzedtom wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:37 pm I wouldn't inform anyone :evil:
I'm not really sure I fancy doing porridge, the thought of communal showers with undersized bars of soap scares me slightly :o

Tim.

Silverzedtom

Cash ISA account error

Post by Silverzedtom » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:15 pm

:rofl:
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Cash ISA account error

Post by dr_john » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:06 pm

You are stuffed Tim, see you in 20 years.

But seriously, if it shows up in your passbook (I do recall such things) and that is printed on their machine then that is a reflection of what they think your balance is. Happy days.
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Cash ISA account error

Post by TitanTim » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:28 pm

dr_john wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:06 pm You are stuffed Tim, see you in 20 years.

But seriously, if it shows up in your passbook (I do recall such things) and that is printed on their machine then that is a reflection of what they think your balance is. Happy days.
I don't think I could make a bar of soap last 20 years, I'll be 72 then but on the bright side being looked after :lol:

Well its nice having what's printed in the passbook but a shame I can't spend it :(

Tim.