Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hive Indoor Camera

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Hive Indoor Camera

Post by TitanTim » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:06 pm

Tom, thanks for reply and advice, much appreciated. Your whole episode sounds absolutely horrendous and not something anyone needs to go through, I think the worst for me is not so much the possessions, these can always be replaced unless sentimental but the fact someone has been in your personal private space which I would find hard to deal with.

You have highlighted so really useful security advice. I have a the Ring cam which covers the drive in front of the garage, the front door and up the drive to the front if the house. Nice thing with Ring is they will replace any device that is stolen for free and have found their customer support quite good when there has been technical problems. The house is alarmed etc with a professional system although a neighbour has said its gone off randomly at times but good too know they have gone round to the house to check all is OK. I have a few Hive motion sensors dotted around the house but really these are pretty useless as I've received alerts when at work but then I've no idea if there is anyone there lol, without any camera etc. They have sent out alerts at times but were false alarms which all that does is send your stress level up slightly as you have no idea if a false alarm or not so some cameras are a must.

One of the reasons why I've become more aware of all this and become more security concious is since getting the M140i I've read so many threads on various forums of owners getting theirs stolen off their drive and the house being broken into for the keys. There is a chap I know who only had his new M140i for 2 days before it was stolen off his drive. The car was used for other burglaries and was later recovered and written off, he's now bought an i3 as a replacement and said he didn't want the stress of owning a car that attracts the wrong attention again.

There is only so much you can do at the end of the day, but just hope I don't come into contact with anyone like what's happened too yourself, like you say you don't really think about these things until the worst happens :(

Tim.

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Hive Indoor Camera

Post by tomscott » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:00 pm

I wouldnt wish it upon anyone and if my pride and joy had been stole I would have been devastated.

I dont know if they had been canvasing for a while but I did have the boxster S parked there for a while and of course the complex had numbers under the car parking spaces that corresponded with the house.

It was a spate of burglaries for that exact reason, same MO, glass doors etc breaking in for car keys but fortunately I was out in the car.

I think the best thing you can do is have a safe and keep the keys inside, or as far away from the front door as possible.

Is there an issue with the alarm systems? Can they be hacked is that why a few have been stolen or is it all from key theft?

I think by having a camera up that is obvious its a deterent. Many people have nothing at all and its far too easy. Me for example mostly because it was a rental and the building was supposed to have its own security but was never installed. All the rest of the complex which were all flats had alarms and the front had security cams but they wore hoods so couldn't see their faces.

marchantsuk
Lifer
Lifer

Hive Indoor Camera

Post by marchantsuk » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:53 pm

I have a Canary cam, always live, (for a fee) you can save video in the cloud and it sends alerts to my phone if something moves in it's field of view.
https://canary.is/uk/
Previous:
e89 2.5se Roadster
5 series touring
SLK 320
Audi A6 Avant Black edition
Now:
e86 M Coupe, Black/Red
Volvo XC60 R-Design

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Hive Indoor Camera

Post by TitanTim » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:59 pm

marchantsuk wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:53 pm I have a Canary cam, always live, (for a fee) you can save video in the cloud and it sends alerts to my phone if something moves in it's field of view.
Thanks for this, do you know if any of the cloud storage is free? or is just the live view and you subscribe to have any events saved? I'm guessing the alerts are free.

Tim.

marchantsuk
Lifer
Lifer

Hive Indoor Camera

Post by marchantsuk » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:21 pm

TitanTim wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:59 pm
marchantsuk wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:53 pm I have a Canary cam, always live, (for a fee) you can save video in the cloud and it sends alerts to my phone if something moves in it's field of view.
Thanks for this, do you know if any of the cloud storage is free? or is just the live view and you subscribe to have any events saved? I'm guessing the alerts are free.

Tim.
From memory you had to pay £7.99 per month for this part https://canary.is/uk/membership/
Previous:
e89 2.5se Roadster
5 series touring
SLK 320
Audi A6 Avant Black edition
Now:
e86 M Coupe, Black/Red
Volvo XC60 R-Design

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Hive Indoor Camera

Post by TitanTim » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:33 pm

marchantsuk wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:21 pm
TitanTim wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:59 pm

Tim.
From memory you had to pay £7.99 per month for this part https://canary.is/uk/membership/
Thanks for that :thumbsup: Just been reading some reviews and understand Canary have increased free storage from 12 to 24 hrs. I'm unsure I would have many events to save as the only time it will record them is when no one is home lol which would be an intruder. It's a little different to my outside Ring cam where it will record a lot more events, postman, visitors, cold callers etc which is what I want it to do all the while. It's only £2.50 a month though for unlimited cloud storage which is pretty good value.

Tim.

DPG
Lifer
Lifer

Hive Indoor Camera

Post by DPG » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:15 pm

Tim, thanks for the heads up on the hive camera. Was going to look at it but it sounds like it doesn't offer any more than my current DLink setup.

Think I am going to get a proper CCTV setup though.

Having being burgled in the past I know what you are going through Tom and it's not nice. I came home to find 3 of them on my drive just about to get in my Golf GTI after ransacking my house for the car keys and any tech they could take.

I didn't get assaulted but they nearly ran me over. I completely froze.

Still have flashbacks 7 years on.

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hive Indoor Camera

Post by sp3ctre » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:47 pm

Wow Tom, I knew something had happened but didn't know the extent... I guess you were unlucky and lucky in lots of ways.

I have recently setup a CCTV system using the BlueIris software. I got the cameras from AliExpress, Dahua 4MP Dome cameras (£40 each). They are not too obvious to the general public but are pretty obvious to a criminal. I have them on each side of the house and they record all the time. You can set it to only record when motion triggered and you can also get it to upload the clips to the cloud.

Inside the house I have some "fake" PIR sensors (like you get on most alarms) but it has a hidden camera in it. These are only 1MP but the image quality is pretty good and they are only £11 a pop!

You need a decent spec machine to run that lot, but if you are a techie that has machines running anyway it's not so bad.
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Hive Indoor Camera

Post by TitanTim » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:03 pm

DPG wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:15 pm Tim, thanks for the heads up on the hive camera. Was going to look at it but it sounds like it doesn't offer any more than my current DLink setup.

Think I am going to get a proper CCTV setup though.

Having being burgled in the past I know what you are going through Tom and it's not nice. I came home to find 3 of them on my drive just about to get in my Golf GTI after ransacking my house for the car keys and any tech they could take.

I didn't get assaulted but they nearly ran me over. I completely froze.

Still have flashbacks 7 years on.
No problem, I would definitely have gone for the Hive but its simply not very good for what it costs and the only way to save events using just an SD card is a real put off. I've decided to go for the Canary as like the idea it has an inbuilt alarm and gets good reviews, I've already ordered the Cleverdog cam purely as its so cheap but still gets really good reviews which I will use along with the Ring cam I already have to cover the outside of the house.

Tim.