Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hive Indoor Camera

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Hive Indoor Camera

Post by TitanTim » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:56 pm

As there has been a property near to mine that has suffered a recent aggrevated burglary I'm currently looking for an indoor security camera/s, I have a RING camera for outdoors and which is generally great etc. Anyways Hive have recently brought out an indoor cam https://www.hivehome.com/products/hive-camera which interested me as everything else I have tech wise, heating, motion sensors, smart plugs, smart bulbs are all Hive so was thinking this would be great to integrate in. Wrong, after contacting Hive for some clarifications as their product info is poor, it saves footage to an SD card and not to the cloud, you can't set timing schedules for when it activates and turns off when you're at home, it requires a seperate specific app and doesn't integrate with the Hive App used for all the other products. Hive have told me its not being promoted as a security camera yet it has an inbuilt siren and can mimic a dog barking :roll: basically its a load of tosh and very dissapointing and ill thought out. Seems completely pointless apart from watching the dog or cat when not at home.

I don't wish to spend a shed load, so currently now looking at Blink which looks to do the job with free cloud storage which is my main requirement https://blinkforhome.co.uk/products/bli ... era-system

Tim.

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Hive Indoor Camera

Post by tomscott » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:28 pm

I was burgled a couple of months ago and have done substantial research. All my photography gear was stolen :cry: I caught them and was assaulted was a pretty grim experience.

Best one I can find although possibly not the best IQ is the Netgear Arlo Pro.

They are weather proof which I think is more important than them being indoors. Most burglaries occur by someone ringing the bell and then trying the door so similar to your ring system you can communicate to help stop anything happening by spooking.

No subscriptions, 7 days free online storage and local storage available by attaching a HDD. It has a base station and you can add up to 8 cameras, it has 2 way communications and a 120db alarm built into the base station. It also has smart detection and zones, it lets you know via the app and can be viewed instantly. The base station also creates its own network so it doesnt hog all your bandwidth but having fibre is a must with any cloud based home security. Every camera is wirelss so no drilling and can be hard wired or it has a 3 month battery built in.

A 4 camera kit isnt cheap at £800 but its the only one that does everything. It can also be integrated into other home systems which is great as you can control your lights, thermostat etc.

The cloud is all well and good but I wouldnt want one that relies on it completely. If it so happened they were messing with the cabinet the day something happens they are completely pointless. Having local is very important as you can record at full quality also, The cloud stuff is so heavily compressed that you can barely make anything out.

For example an hour of 720p would take about 1gb of space at the least. Even with fibre if you get 10mb upload it would take about the same of time and hours so hogs your internet. So it is heavily compressed and if you take a look its pretty poor. At least if something happens you have a full quality version.

http://www.arlo.com/uk/products/arlo-pro/default.aspx

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Hive Indoor Camera

Post by markeg » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:26 pm

Cheap and cheerful - I have a "Clever Dog" cam which is set up and linked to my iPhone - currently it points towards my front door, but can be easily relocated. Sends me an update message to my iPhone for every motion detected between the times I specify and will stream the video on request - video files are still stored on the SD card until you upload them. Night time images are fine also, as I have motion-sensitive outside lights.
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Hive Indoor Camera

Post by TitanTim » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:27 pm

Thanks for the replies, Tom, that must have been an awful experience and sorry to hear what happened, hopefully the people have been dealt with.

I don't live in a particulary high crime area, however I do feel the neighbourhood has become less safe over the past few years borne out by a recent burglary with 3 guys beating up the homeowner. I live at the end of a quiet cul de sac, mainly retired neighbours although two bungalows next door are now empty as the owners have gone into care homes, the one has been empty for 3 years and guessing nothing can be done until the owner decides to sell up or dies.

After having some garden lights nicked recently, petty I know I've joined the local online community group which has a good network of home owners who look out for one another and post up of any problems etc or give a heads up for any potential problems. Most recent are blokes driving around in a transit van for no real reason except to eye up properties, they have been reported a number of times and I've reported them for no MOT on the van but the police are only interested if something happens. Apparently they are Romanians so doubt they have insurance etc.

Thanks for the heads up on the Arlo cams, will have a look at those, I will probably need around 3 cams.

Tim.

Buckz

Hive Indoor Camera

Post by Buckz » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:50 pm

I've got an armcrest 1080 camera that does the job really well. Can get to it from my phone, motion detection, alerts to your email/SMS etc. Was like £59 and is super reliable.. either store it in cloud (monthly subscription) or sd

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Hive Indoor Camera

Post by TitanTim » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:15 pm

markeg wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:26 pm Cheap and cheerful - I have a "Clever Dog" cam which is set up and linked to my iPhone - currently it points towards my front door, but can be easily relocated. Sends me an update message to my iPhone for every motion detected between the times I specify and will stream the video on request - video files are still stored on the SD card until you upload them. Night time images are fine also, as I have motion-sensitive outside lights.
Thanks Mark, I've ordered one in blue wasn't sure on the pink one though :lol: worth a go at that price and looks to get decent reviews, will keep me going until I decide what to get that saves the footage externally. I'm finding the choice bewildering to be honest, a bit like dash cams :?

Tim.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Hive Indoor Camera

Post by TitanTim » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:16 pm

Buckz wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:50 pm I've got an armcrest 1080 camera that does the job really well. Can get to it from my phone, motion detection, alerts to your email/SMS etc. Was like £59 and is super reliable.. either store it in cloud (monthly subscription) or sd
Thank you Buckz :thumbsup:

Tim.

Rusky

Hive Indoor Camera

Post by Rusky » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:07 pm

Was looking at the Hive cam today, think i will look at alternatives now. :thumbsup:
3.0l Silver SMG, whippy and ginge fringe/ Sound gen mod/ Media bridge fitted (bluetooth and audio streaming) / Clear third break light/ Hard Top/ Eibachs springs and DLV back box/ Roof motor in the boot/ plus lots more.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Hive Indoor Camera

Post by TitanTim » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:48 pm

Rusky wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:07 pm Was looking at the Hive cam today, think i will look at alternatives now. :thumbsup:
A bit of a let down and feel it's been rushed out onto the market to compete against the likes of Nest, it could have been so much more. Hive did say to me that they may look at a dedicated security camera in future.

Tim.

Rusky

Hive Indoor Camera

Post by Rusky » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:21 pm

TitanTim wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:48 pm
Rusky wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:07 pm Was looking at the Hive cam today, think i will look at alternatives now. :thumbsup:
A bit of a let down and feel it's been rushed out onto the market to compete against the likes of Nest, it could have been so much more. Hive did say to me that they may look at a dedicated security camera in future.

Tim.
They are definately missing a trick there i think :roll:
3.0l Silver SMG, whippy and ginge fringe/ Sound gen mod/ Media bridge fitted (bluetooth and audio streaming) / Clear third break light/ Hard Top/ Eibachs springs and DLV back box/ Roof motor in the boot/ plus lots more.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Hive Indoor Camera

Post by Nictrix » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:30 pm

Do you really want something that records 24/7 to the cloud?
Can just imagine if you forget its there and get a bit frisky in front of Bargain Hunt one day and then the vid is all over the net if the cloud gets hacked :lol:
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Hive Indoor Camera

Post by TitanTim » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:28 am

Nictrix wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:30 pm Do you really want something that records 24/7 to the cloud?
Can just imagine if you forget its there and get a bit frisky in front of Bargain Hunt one day and then the vid is all over the net if the cloud gets hacked :lol:
I've got nothing to hide :lol:

Tim.

ranski
Lifer
Lifer

Hive Indoor Camera

Post by ranski » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:45 am

I bought the hive camera a few weeks ago for the nursery, works well for us.

Z4 3.0 / Mods done... too many to mention

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Hive Indoor Camera

Post by TitanTim » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:54 am

ranski wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:45 am I bought the hive camera a few weeks ago for the nursery, works well for us.
Thanks Ranski, I think it would be fine for certain tasks but not so much as a security camera, not being able to set time schedules like their other products is a fail for me :(

Tim.

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Hive Indoor Camera

Post by tomscott » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:34 am

TitanTim wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:27 pm Thanks for the replies, Tom, that must have been an awful experience and sorry to hear what happened, hopefully the people have been dealt with.

I don't live in a particulary high crime area, however I do feel the neighbourhood has become less safe over the past few years borne out by a recent burglary with 3 guys beating up the homeowner. I live at the end of a quiet cul de sac, mainly retired neighbours although two bungalows next door are now empty as the owners have gone into care homes, the one has been empty for 3 years and guessing nothing can be done until the owner decides to sell up or dies.

After having some garden lights nicked recently, petty I know I've joined the local online community group which has a good network of home owners who look out for one another and post up of any problems etc or give a heads up for any potential problems. Most recent are blokes driving around in a transit van for no real reason except to eye up properties, they have been reported a number of times and I've reported them for no MOT on the van but the police are only interested if something happens. Apparently they are Romanians so doubt they have insurance etc.

Thanks for the heads up on the Arlo cams, will have a look at those, I will probably need around 3 cams.

Tim.
Ye was really distressing. I was off ill and went out to pick up a prescription. The DRs is literally half a mile away so was out for 4-5 mins.

The house was a rental and we had a viewing though the letting agents on the Monday as we had just purchased our house and were moving out. Obviously I run my business from the house so my office has all my gear and that was the main target.

Bit of a stupid design, it was a brand new build. The house was built in a courtyard and the front door faced a main road at the back and they failed to get planning permission to put the door in. This is because if the door was opened it could have hurt someone on the street. So our only entrance and exit was at the back, basically glass french doors. They got a bus glass pick and shattered it. I came back to see a strange shadow on the door as I got closer released someone had smashed it.

As you do I turned into rage mode and started screaming and ran into the building to find two blokes, both bigger than me in our bedroom. I ran up the stairs and as i turned into the room one of them completely took me out and knocked me through a partition wall and ran out. The other was trying to get out of a 2nd floor window with about a 20ft drop below but he couldn't work the child safe window locks. So he ran past me and I managed to pull myself together and catch him. I grabbed him at the bottom of the stairs and got him in a headlock and he swung at my face with some sort of implement which I thought was a knife so I let go and let him go.

In those situations its you or them and im sure if I had pursued... not worth thinking about it. It was either - my gf, mum and dad would come down and help me clear the house up or find me in hospital or worse. Not worth it.

When I look back and think.. I was really lucky.

Because I was only going to be out for a couple of minutes I left my phone, wallet and everything I was doing basically where it was. So they stole my phone, I rang 101 on the house phone as I thought 999 was only for life or death emergencies. It took 50 minutes to get through. In the mean time I was desperately trying to get hold of my GF. Of course in this day and age we take technology for granted and I had no idea what her number was!!

I then realised the devastation they had left behind. My studio was completely destroyed, I had a server, mac pro and 2 27" displays. When trying to steal the displays they are attached so it pulled the table over and my server was flung across the room the display DVI cables were screw in so they just ripped the cables out and ruined the socket and bent the graphics card. They then decided it was a good idea to throw them down the stairs!!!! £1000 a pop.

The only way i could think of getting hold of the GF was to put the computer back together and facetime her, thankfully one was a mini display so just pulled out and was in tact. Its pretty sad that I had to put the computer back together to get hold of her.

Obviously she was in bits and made her way home. Managed to survey the damage and its a good job I caught them in the act. I had been doing the laundry and the bed sheets had just come out of the dryer. They used the pillow cases to put all my lenses etc in. I also found them all at the bottom of the stairs. I cost to replace is similar cost to buying an E86 3.0SI if not a bit more. Taken me about 10 years to accumulate.

The house was completely destroyed, every draw was ransacked and you couldn't see the floor for our possessions. All my our random medication had been stolen including the GFs birth control. They had gone all through her underwear etc All her clothes/cupboards/wardrobe were turned over ruined the walls and obviously stuff was everywhere.

Its the emotional turmoil you go through, that your things are no longer private and that someone has gone through everything and left it like a bomb has gone off and left you to sort it.

When I finally got through on the phone they put me on hold again for a further 30 minutes, so 1hr 20. Just disgusting, I was completely on my own and had no support at all. We had a forensic detective come maybe 4-5 hours later but they were career criminals and left nothing. We had no officers come until about 24 hours later. In the mean time our landlord had the window boarded up, but it doesn't make you feel safe. We put all our furniture etc in front of the door in case they came back as they got away with so little compared to what they had lined up. I was fully expecting them to come back.

So sad that you board up the front door in fear in your own home.

I had shot a wedding the week before so I was in the middle of sorting it but thankfully they didnt steal my Mac Pro as its about a 10kg weight or any of my main hard drives. Otherwise I would have had a pretty awful conversation to have with a newly wed. I always back up and keep the cards full for a third backup until the next wedding, but because I was busy and was only 2 days after I hadnt got round to making a copy.

They got away with my 5DMKIII and a 100mm L Macro lens attached as I was shooting some studio work at the time, 2 x macbook airs one 11" one 13" both maxed out with 512gb SSDs and i7s and max ram, iPhone 6s 128gb, iPad mini 128gb a 4tb hard drive that had all my travel images on but thankfully was backed up and all our completely useless medication.

They managed to take all of that in my laptop bag.

So in the end nothing too bad but the path of destruction took about 3 days to clear up. Obviously replacing items and fortunately we moved not long after so didnt have to live where it happened for long. Its more the emotional side.

I have a bit of a delayed reaction to things now im getting older and seemed to deal with the situation well until about 2 weeks later when I sort of fell to bits and started to deal with the situation, anxiety was through the roof, fear, stress etc and it took me a good 2 months to pull myself together with the help of friends and family which were invaluable.

So things I learned.

GET SECURITY SORTED!

Anything to deter, be that a dog bowl at the front door lol. Get at least a Ring system as the way thieves operate is to ring the door first, if you can at least see who they are and talk to them deterring them the likelihood is they will be spooked and move on. If they get no answer at the door they will then try the door and then be opportunistic.

Standard alarms are useless. These days unless you live in a small village the neighborly spirit has pretty much diminished. So alarms ring and they are an annoyance and people will get aggravated rather than investigate. So it could ring all day and you would be non the wiser unless it sends an notification to the police who then get intouch with you. By that time its too late.

If you are looking to move, only do viewings when you are present! Dont let the agent take people round on their own and watch them like a hawk. The new trend is burglars are getting random people to go and view properties for a small fee for information. If you can remove all valuable items.

Its all well and good thinking it will never happen, like I blissfully did, but when it does and the probability is that it will at once in your lifetime your better off being prepared. Make sure you have all your possessions itemised that are worth above the minimum value as you have one hell of a time trying to get the insurance companies to pay out.

Get a safe and put all your jewelry in it. We are still quite young and dont have a lot of jewelry but nether the less it doesn't need to be expensive to be worth a lot emotionally.

Look around and see what stuff you have! If your a techy guy like me the likelihood is you have amassed a large amount of tech etc and dont use it but is worth a lot of money. Get rid of stuff you dont use! Both me and the GF had a laptop, ipad etc 2 laptops and 2 iPads could be worth 3-4k and are easy targets. The money is better off in your pocket than trying to get it out of the insurance companies, its really hard work. For example they offered me £150 for my iPhone 6s and at the time I would have needed £600 to replace it so i haven't been able to replace it... Had to buy a used 5s with the money.

If your tech has a security feature make sure its on, iPhones etc set them to erase. Computers/displays etc usually have a security slot like a kensington lock, the locks and cables are really cheap and anchor it. Just another deterrent, if its hard work they will leave it.

Look at what they did in 5 minutes...

Last thing BACK THINGS UP!!!! Hard drives are so cheap now that there is no excuse 4tb drives are only £100 buy two! Have one as a security measure at home in case your computer hard drive packs in and leave another off site at work! Once or twice a month bring it home and let it back up. If you dont have a huge amount of data cloud services are cheap, 1tb is like £10 a month set your computer to back up over night and its accessible anywhere, anytime.

A lot of these things will be obvious to most and dont mean to patronize, its just so awful when it happens it literally turns your world upside down replacing things is always more expensive than you think, especially when its emotional and you cant. It was really hard for us as we just spend our lives savings/available cash on a house and the money we had set aside to do a few jobs ended up going on the things that got stolen.

The case was dropped in the end with lack of leads.

80% of Police energy is now spent on domestic disturbances and vulnerable people. Theft is basically the last on the list which makes sense. Items are worth far less than the life of a person. But it just means burglary has gone up and is acceptable. You have to take things more seriously if you want to protect your assets. The police force is so stretched that our local area is manned by 2 officers and they have 150,000 people to look after. When they came they were wonderful people they just don't have the resources they once did. Cheers conservatives :thumbsup:

Criminals are clever but also stupid. The worst thing is that you cant get into any of the Apple devices and if they did and it was set up as a new device the Serial is always attached to a user. To this day ive had no pings on any of the devices. The camera can also be tracked using its serial number which it embeds into images and websites can search across the internet for hits. So far nothing its been 4 months.

So I assume that because I caught them and got a good look at them they ditched everything they stole. So the whole thing was pointless.

Sorry for the long post but might inspire people to re evaluate their home security.