Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

F@@king potholes

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
jabber
Lifer
Lifer

F@@king potholes

Post by jabber » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:20 pm

Wife was out in our 220d convertible last night on a narrow road on coming car doesnt move from middle of road so she has to go nearer to the edge of the road, loud bang and she's found a deep pothole! I have a look when she gets home and we now have a square wheel !
Luckily took it in this morning to a wheel repairer and its sortable but just had a call telling me the tyre is knackered so its goodbye to a couple of hundred pounds
Z less again
14 E89 Z4 2.0 msport grey gone now
10 E89 Z4 3.0 Black auto now. Very sadly gone
Gone 04 E85 z4 3.0 Maldives blue smg

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

F@@king potholes

Post by mmm-five » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:30 pm

I did something similar about 2 hours after I picked up my Z4MC on brand new CSLs and Michelin PS2s.

Approaching a speed bump and brake down to about 5mph as the road in front is flooded and I can't see how steep the approach to the speed bump is. I bet about 1m away from the speed bump...am braking...and the NSF wheel goes down into a pothole with an almighty crunch. End up with a nice 3" gash in the tyre wall that the mobility kit will do nothing about.

Got BMW Assist to recover me to the garage and leave it there until they can supply a new wheel & tyre.

Luckily I'd taken out wheel/tyre insurance when I bought the car (about £250 for 2 years cover), and the dealer replaced the wheel & tyre without argument...at a cost of £700.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

F@@king potholes

Post by WLH » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:44 pm

Kind of off subject but I wonder how these "Self Driving Cars" are going to deal with potholes?? I am always driving around them and as careful as I have been I still managed to break a rear spring and damage a rim.
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

F@@king potholes

Post by RickRob » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:25 pm

WLH wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:44 pm Kind of off subject but I wonder how these "Self Driving Cars" are going to deal with potholes?? I am always driving around them and as careful as I have been I still managed to break a rear spring and damage a rim.
Maybe the boffins should spend their budgets and brainpower on self-healing potholes, rather than self-driving cars.
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

F@@king potholes

Post by ronk » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:34 pm

I've been on roads in Germany that warn of poor condition surfaces - invariably they are better than our normal standard of road in the UK!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup: