Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Someone has been in my Zed overnight . . . .

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jamie_z4 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:32 pm

you can wire a dash cam into the fag lighter which is a permanent live- if you use the car on a daily(ish)basis it wont drain the battery.
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

Rusky

Post by Rusky » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:50 pm

Could be that who ever took the keys out tried them on your door, with the hope that they could possibly get in and get the car keys. :(
3.0l Silver SMG, whippy and ginge fringe/ Sound gen mod/ Media bridge fitted (bluetooth and audio streaming) / Clear third break light/ Hard Top/ Eibachs springs and DLV back box/ Roof motor in the boot/ plus lots more.

Bumpy

Post by Bumpy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:24 pm

jamie_z4 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:32 pm you can wire a dash cam into the fag lighter which is a permanent live- if you use the car on a daily(ish)basis it wont drain the battery.
And then you would have had to claim for a stolen dash cam. just sayin'

Back in the Old Daze (early 60's) I lived in an apartment building and my friend's father drove a Porsche 356.
That meant very little to me at the time, except that his dad never locked it. Plus he always left money in it.
I thought that was crazy in underground parking until I understood the logic.
If the car was locked, the theif would break something getting in. Problem solved if the door is already open.
Money inside ? A thief get pi$$ed if they receive nothing for their efforts. They take it out on your car, so make sure there is something.

It seems to have worked cause I can't recall his car ever being vandalized or stolen, but that was then. I always thought that car was noting more than a squashed VW, so why would anyone want to steal it?

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:39 pm

You've been sleepwalking & visited your car in the middle of the night, check your pockets for the few extra pounds missing from the car :o
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:42 pm

Maybe a space / time dislocation caused by leaving the wine bar prematurely? 8)

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:47 pm

If the cars parked on the drive at night than locked away in the garage then an external security cam is a must, first thing I did when I got the 140i. I don't think a dash cam would be much use as you ideally need something watching the car and surroundings. Unsure it's a great idea keeping spare house keys in the car even if they won't know which house they're for. I would certainly be on your guard as they might have been testing your security and will take the car next time, hopefully just an opportunist.

Tim.

IRD

Post by IRD » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:56 pm

Really sorry to read about your unpleasant experience. Leaves you feeling uncomfortable and worrying that they might come back again. The only saving grace is that they didn't take anything of value and that there was no damage.

blackabbot

Post by blackabbot » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:59 pm

Glad there's no damage done to your car Marlon, With my OCD my Z could never be left unlocked overnight, I have to go and check it a couple of times along with my front and back doors even though I know I have locked them :oops:
2008, E85 2.0i sport, Titan Silver, Hardtop, ZHP Gear Knob, Chrome Exhaust Tip , Hydro Graphic Carbon Interior, DLV roof motor relocation and CDV delete and a Whippy :D

chrissrush

Post by chrissrush » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:18 pm

I use remote controls to turn off the mains to the kitchen & bedroom TV's as I prefer not to leave them on standby.

I used to come home sometimes to find the TV on, eventually sussed that I'd not put the TV into standby when using the remote to turn off the mains and that next doors remote unlocking was switching the mains back on.

Now I always put TV to standby before turning the mains off with the remote so I'd say there is definitely some overlap of frequencies for different things but isn't the car suposed to have some kind of code transmitted to "authorise" the transmitting source to lock/unlock it?
2009 118d & 2007 Z4MR

Yorkie Z

Post by Yorkie Z » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:33 pm

Shocking, you got driving gloves :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
A Dirty M///

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:48 pm

Does the ash tray insert look like this Marlon?
IMG_0861.JPG
IMG_0861.JPG (424.37 KiB) Viewed 1589 times
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:59 pm

Smartbear wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:48 pm Does the ash tray insert look like this Marlon?
IMG_0861.JPG
Rob
Yes, thats the one
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:00 pm

Yorkie Z wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:33 pm Shocking, you got driving gloves :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
update - checking glove box again before and no, they were nicked too :(
Loved them - supple leather and fitted like . . . er . . . a glove
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:05 pm

Marlon wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:59 pm
Smartbear wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:48 pm Does the ash tray insert look like this Marlon?
IMG_0861.JPG
Rob
Yes, thats the one
Il bring it to shepshed if you can wait that long (will post if desperate) :thumbsup:
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

z4pilot

Post by z4pilot » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:12 pm

ronk wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:20 pm I'm told by the Electronic boffins that there is a very narrow band width for stuff like alarms/door bells etc ?
I had a car with an after market alarm that I could not disable between 0720 and 0740 each day ? It all started to happen after the install of a sub station with dish type devices. I suspect they were streaming data - they pointed towards the police HQ
As the frequency fobs use is low powered - they told me it was easily swamped by other signals.

I hope somebody will correct me if I've been fed some duff info :thumbsup:
I had a similar experience... Parked up and when I got back to the car, some delivery wagon was delivering building materials. The guy was using a hand held remote control to operate the grab claw thing and the signal completely swamped out my key fob. Bastard knew exactly what was going on as well and watched me try several times to unlock the car with the fob, only to have to resort to the key, which set the alarm off when I opened the door.
Now Gone - 2008 Coupe, Montego Blue, Champagne leather and Piano Black interior, Eibachs & Koni Sport shocks, Style 230 19s, Eisenmann Quad - approaching perfection...