Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:30 pm

I encourage and support everyone to purchase and drive electric cars.....
Because that will leave more and cheaper gas for me... :P
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

LordOxygen

Post by LordOxygen » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:22 am

Diesel and petrol will still be around for a long time yet, its only new cars that will change in the short term.

We can expect a whole new battery industry, now is the time to invest in some start-ups.

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:39 pm

I know this latest move by the Government is all to do with saving the environment but IMHO they really haven't thought this through.

First. They estimate that it will increase the demand for electricity by 20% so how exactly are they going to generate that extra electricity without increasing pollution. Renewables are not going to be the answer as they cannot get anywhere near what we need now. We all know what happens to any product when demand rises so household bills will increase even if you don't own a car.

Second. Presumably the batteries will be based on Lithium as they are now which is highly toxic so imagine trying to dispose of a vast quantity more without polluting the planet. The cost of second hand cars will also plummet as these batteries don't last very long and cost a fortune to replace. (4K approx every 4-6 years in a Nissan Leaf so I am told)

As for charging points where are they all going to be for the millions of cars on our roads. Especially difficult if you live in flats or only have on street parking.

Finally why only cars when lorries, buses and trains are more polluting than cars.

Discuss?
Last edited by Wondermike on Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Electric or hybrid only cars by 2040

Post by ronk » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:07 pm

There is a very fundamental issue -
We know how any government loves to tax us, vehicle fuel attracts a massive amount of duty. Where will they raise that same duty when there's no petrol or diesel ?
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Grumpyowl » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:46 pm

They'll replace fuel tax with road charging, every vehicle will be fitted with a tracker that will DD your current account monthly for every mile covered . You'll be fined directly for every speed limit broken and if you don't or can't pay your monthly DD your car will be remotely disabled. Every journey will be monitored and your driving habits will all be kept on file.
The government will not lose out on taxation.

pHilli0

Post by pHilli0 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:57 pm

Whole thing is inevitable. I love driving. But I am hating driving on UK roads more each year. I hate my commute. Endless people, in my way. I want two forms of driving. The commute - get in something, anything, and arrive at work. Ideally without me having to drive, I can watch vids and chill. Then there is weekend/4am driving, in a sports car loving life. Then there are track days, and finally racing.
I want all 4, and I want something specific to meet my need doing each one.
2006 Z4 ///M Coupe || Schrick CSL Cams | Eventuri | Brembo 6/4 & Pagid RS-29s | KW V3s | H&R ABRs | Stromung | ARC-8s | Corbeau Revolution | OEM Strut | ZHP | Stubby | CDV | RTAB | Evolve Map ||
http://www.phillynchracing.com/index.php/blog/

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:18 pm

Being selfish here - I don't care what they do!
I will be 94 ( hopefully) :rofl:

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:00 pm

They say there will be no new petrol or diesel cars sold after 2040 and nothing about those still running. I will be 96 and the Zed will be 25 hopefully both still "running" if not just a little slower than present.!
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:30 pm

Us old goats eh?
My car will only 24 - but do you know if they retro fit commodes?

Flyingfifer

Post by Flyingfifer » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:00 am

Nanu wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:39 pm I know this latest move by the Government is all to do with saving the environment but IMHO they really haven't thought this through.

First. They estimate that it will increase the demand for electricity by 20% so how exactly are they going to generate that extra electricity without increasing pollution. Renewables are not going to be the answer as they cannot get anywhere near what we need now. We all know what happens to any product when demand rises so household bills will increase even if you don't own a car.

Second. Presumably the batteries will be based on Lithium as they are now which is highly toxic so imagine trying to dispose of a vast quantity more without polluting the planet. The cost of second hand cars will also plummet as these batteries don't last very long and cost a fortune to replace. (4K approx every 4-6 years in a Nissan Leaf so I am told)

As for charging points where are they all going to be for the millions of cars on our roads. Especially difficult if you live in flats or only have on street parking.

Finally why only cars when lorries, buses and trains are more polluting than cars.

Discuss?
This.

Virtue signalling politics nothing more. With Honda working on the Hydrogen fuel cell electric battery powered cars are nothing more than a stop gap measure, we have them here at work and they are all but useless unless you are travelling locally (or dont plan to get back) also the infrastructure simply isnt there, even if as above we were producing the electricity required there arent enough places to charge them AND the rental cost of the batteries is insane (https://www.nissan.co.uk/vehicles/new-v ... tions.html) thats more than I spend on petrol each month :headbang:
2006 3.0Si Coupé in Monaco Blau with all the optional trimmings

Mittsee

Post by Mittsee » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:15 am

It is not wise to think that we all will have an advanced and relaxing technology with the electronic cars in 2040. In 1960's, people thought human will definitely started living on space, at least other than earth. But there's not a single man went to moon after 1980 :D :D :D

So, we might not have a electric car we are going to need in 2040, and that is why there should not be making any rules on assumptions.

Paulr

Post by Paulr » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:03 pm

Not a vote winner. Next government will reverse it.
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.

DMC63

Post by DMC63 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:41 pm

Not a ban on the cars. Just a ban on producing new ones. :thumbsup:
Highly likey the planet will not to be in an inhabitable state in 2040. Pretty sure a few nukes would
have been let off by then and not many people left wandering around on the surface.
Not long before the N Korean peninsula kicks off.

Don't mean to piss on your chips but it doesn't take a political scientist to work this one out. :|
BMW Z4 2003 2.5i and lots of bits and pieces - 2016 - 2020 Sold

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:12 pm

patriot66 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:34 pm What about the thousands of airliners in the air worldwide at any one time all burning thousands of litres of kerosene - based Avgas (JetA1 etc) ? We're all, including the politicians of this world; quite happy to sit on one regularly for hours on end or have your fruit & veg flown from Chile or Kenya or wherever ! Hypocrisy ? :x

I agree - big ships don't run on angel spit either !
Maybe we should start building tea clippers again,