Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bmw Advanced Eye Dash Cam

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:35 pm

Has anyone got experience of these dash cams please ?

At £320 (fitted ) they seem expensive and I'm not sure if the recorded footage is Mac compatible.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:44 am

Try this thread...link
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

EssexZed

Post by EssexZed » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:27 am

I've got one fitted to my E89 and although expensive I'm very pleased with the dealer fit and the performance of the camera. Apart from watching the recordings on the camera screen you can download from the memory card to a PC or MAC and watch that way. A BMW video player for the dashcam is available to download for free but it's only PC compatible. The instruction booklet for the dashcam states that many other video players are compatible and mentions VLC - which is certainly available for MAC OS-X.

I've had Nextbase dashcams fitted to other cars by Halfords and been happy with both the cameras and the very inexpensive fitting service. However, I just couldn't bring myself to have my two year old Z4 taken apart by somebody that might be totally unfamiliar with the model - and I'd heard that the power management systems on the vehicle can cause problems if these things aren't wired up in the right way.

The camera itself is not the smallest you can find but it seems robust and certainly looks a quality product. When recording in driving mode it has a G sensor that can record 'shock movement' type events as separate files (beeping to let you know when it has done so) and I needed to lower the sensitivity as it was being activated by bumps in the road and hard acceleration :D When in parking mode it records any movement in the cameras field of view or any shocks to the vehicle. However, to protect the car battery, parking mode shuts down after 5.5 hours. When in parking mode a very bright blue led is activated on the front of the camera (this starts to flash when it actually records anything) so it certainly makes its presence known, so if you would prefer a more discrete solution, either stick a bit of black tape over it or buy something else because the led cannot be turned off. It's supplied with a 32gb SD card (with most other cameras you have to supply your own).

I agree it's comparatively expensive but I guess you have to expect that for a BMW approved product supplied and fitted by BMW dealers.

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:37 am

not sure if it the exact model but I just fitted a BMW camera in my mates Z4M, they look big and clumsy

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:37 am

Thanks for the comprehensive reply.
I was about to cancel the installation because of the iMac video playback - the info seemed to suggest it was PC or nothing. I do have a Samsung Netbook i use for my Smarttop setting but I'm more comfortable with the iMac these days.

The kit does look good quality and I hear what you say about the Halfords install - my car is also quite new (10 months ) and I don't fancy somebody faffing about with scotch locks and chocolate block connectors. If bmw fit it the warranty will remain valid.

My only concern was the video playback but as long as other compatible players are available, I'm happy .

The car is booked in at 1100 on Saturday- I will let you know how I get on.

English68

Post by English68 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:24 am

Hi there
I have one of these cameras.
Suggest you discuss location with dealer before fitting - the default position isn't really ideal.
You can view on Mac using VLC but it only plays the video and sound, not the driving data like you see on the YouTube BMW demo.
It is big and ugly and the LED is way over the top but I've got used to it now - plus I have finally found out how to turn the beeping off.
Video quality is excellent and playback of clips from parking mode is addictive (and slightly voyeuristic) so I have resolved to find a way to reduce sensitivity (camera, not me!)
(That said, I have saved the clip it recorded of the new owner driving off in my X3 yesterday!)
32gb card filled up in 700miles/2weeks so I'm thinking about a larger card but may not need if it records fewer clips.

NB: It records sounds from inside the car incredibly well so I'm having to keep comments about other road users and my answers on Popmaster (R2) to myself!

Overall, a quality camera, fitted without affecting warranty that provides entertainment as well as insurance claim back-up cannot be a bad thing.

Just my 2p

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:58 am

I was thinking of going down the cheaper Nextbase route but these previous comments have convinced me to stay on the approved path!

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:05 pm

Aren't these just a rebranded other make with a BMW stamp? I did look at the option but hardwiring isn't much good if swapping between cars, went with a Transend in the end at half the cost.

Tim.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:09 pm

If the BMW camera system works I might get another for Mrs K's 335 - but with the additional rear view camera.

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:17 pm

These do look a quality product,had one as a Raffle prize t the recent National.....as 1st Prize,which Taz One :thumbsup:

Alot of feature,and good quality recording :thumbsup:
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:49 pm

Having it fitted by the dealer - he started at 11.00 and has hit wiring problem - he didn't elaborate but now having lunch at their expense.

Steak and Chips sounds good to me!

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:41 pm

EssexZed wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:27 am When recording in driving mode it has a G sensor that can record 'shock movement' type events as separate files (beeping to let you know when it has done so) and I needed to lower the sensitivity as it was being activated by bumps in the road and hard acceleration
Mine is now fitted and working but has got a few events on an uneventful journey home! So it seems I need to reduce the sensitivity but I don't have the time to fiddle before I go on the Germany trip - so can I ask is 1 sensativity high or low ?

I think it has 1:3 available.

EssexZed

Post by EssexZed » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:55 pm

ronk wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:41 pm
EssexZed wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:27 am When recording in driving mode it has a G sensor that can record 'shock movement' type events as separate files (beeping to let you know when it has done so) and I needed to lower the sensitivity as it was being activated by bumps in the road and hard acceleration
Mine is now fitted and working but has got a few events on an uneventful journey home! So it seems I need to reduce the sensitivity but I don't have the time to fiddle before I go on the Germany trip - so can I ask is 1 sensativity high or low ?

I think it has 1:3 available.
I think 1 is the lowest setting. If you've got unnecessary events being recorded (with the accompanying beep to let you know!) when you go into the menu you'll probably find it's on 3 so switch it to the lower setting. That should sort the issue - it certainly worked for mine.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:02 pm

Thanks !
It was set to a default 2 - I've been to the car and now I can't remember if I've moved it to 1 or 3 :rofl:

I suppose it's easy to change so if i get a constant stream of beeps I will go to the other end of the scale.

The parking monitoring seems good - flashing while it's arming seems like it's indicating " I'm watching you"

sad_old_man

Post by sad_old_man » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:38 pm

Had the cam fitted in my e89 yesterday after a lot of confusion. My normal service advisor was on holiday when I asked my local dealer for a quote and he said £328. That's a little steep for just the front cam but after being told that having my Nextbase 412 GW fitted would invalidate my warranty I opted for the BMW cam. When I took my car in for the fitting my normal service guy was back and when I told him the price he was very unhappy. He then altered the price to £299 fitted and said that was the correct price for them but another local BMW dealer is charging £328 fitted.. I dropped the car off at 8.15am and I finally got it back at 4.50pm so I can only think that fitting the cam into a Z4 is not straight forward. So far I like the cam and especially like the battery monitor that it is fitted with so there should be no battery drain notifications appearing on my dash.