Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bmw Advanced Eye Dash Cam

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
EssexZed

Post by EssexZed » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:53 pm

I had mine fitted about 4 months ago and the price quoted by my local dealer (and other dealers online) was £329 for the front camera. Unless it's changed, £299 sounds like you got a nice deal. Mine works a treat so although expensive I'm very pleased with the installation and overall quality :)

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:48 pm

sad_old_man wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:38 pm...having my Nextbase 412 GW fitted would invalidate my warranty...
What! :o

Next they lying barstewards will be saying you'll void the warranty if you go over the speed limit, or fart with the top down :thumbsdown:
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:53 pm

The fitting is not straight forward ! The install killed my sat nav due they say to the gps on the dash cam confusing the aerial on the cars gps.
(Ref BMW travelling Tech man )

The system couldn't seem to lock on to location after travelling to Europe by ship. When we docked in Imuiden, the cars gps would only see the roads in the port of departure .
Its sorted now (I think) and we now have the front and rear bmw system fitted on the 335

I paid £322 fitted for the single camera - it's expensive but I like the 5hr parking monitor with its flashing blue warning light.

How are people viewing footage ? I'm running an iMac and a lot of available info is omitted i think as the software is windows based and not Mac compatible.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

EssexZed

Post by EssexZed » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:53 pm

ronk wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:53 pm The fitting is not straight forward ! The install killed my sat nav due they say to the gps on the dash cam confusing the aerial on the cars gps.
(Ref BMW travelling Tech man )

The system couldn't seem to lock on to location after travelling to Europe by ship. When we docked in Imuiden, the cars gps would only see the roads in the port of departure .
Its sorted now (I think) and we now have the front and rear bmw system fitted on the 335

I paid £322 fitted for the single camera - it's expensive but I like the 5hr parking monitor with its flashing blue warning light.

How are people viewing footage ? I'm running an iMac and a lot of available info is omitted i think as the software is windows based and not Mac compatible.
Not had any issues with sat nav. I think the person who fitted yours perhaps hadn't put one into a Z4 before and made an unfortunate error in his choice of cable run!

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:23 pm

EssexZed wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:53 pm
Not had any issues with sat nav. I think the person who fitted yours perhaps hadn't put one into a Z4 before and made an unfortunate error in his choice of cable run!
Yes it was the first time they'd fitted a unit into an E89 at my dealer.
The cars Gps antenna is in the centre of the top of the windscreen ie the area around the light .
They ran the gps cable directly adjacent / underneath it. The BMW instructions are going to be amended to show the proper routing of the cable. The dealer has also wrapped the dash cam gps in screened wrap.
It seems ok now but only my Euro trip in the Z4 next summer will tell.

The upside of the problem is that I have been adequately compensated. :thumbsup:

sad_old_man

Post by sad_old_man » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:34 pm

ronk wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:23 pm
EssexZed wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:53 pm
Yes it was the first time they'd fitted a unit into an E89 at my dealer.
The cars Gps antenna is in the centre of the top of the windscreen ie the area around the light .
They ran the gps cable directly adjacent / underneath it. The BMW instructions are going to be amended to show the proper routing of the cable. The dealer has also wrapped the dash cam gps in screened wrap.
It seems ok now but only my Euro trip in the Z4 next summer will tell.

The upside of the problem is that I have been adequately compensated. :thumbsup:
At first I wondered what all the wires were about? I thought it would be a single cable connecting the cam to the power but its not that simple. I agree with your comments that in the exact area that my cam cables have been routed are the cables for the sensors that control the auto windscreen wipers, auto lights, auto dimming headlights, auto dim interior mirror? There is too much going on there to start letting a buffoon near it with a screwdriver and some duct tape?

The reason for the invalidated warranty came from the dealers having a customer return a two month old 240i with airbag fault warning light activation. The man had a nextbase dash cam fitted by ??????. They refused to carry out the work under warranty unless he had the camera removed? Non standard BMW equipment being fitted by non BMW technicians. Its simple business protection really? I'm not saying its right but its true never the less!

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:02 pm

I'm told that the BMW install instructions are going to be amended following the install of mine and if the problem of corrupt sat nav isn't cured 100% they will move the sat nav antenna to the dashboard area at the base of the screen. Drastic but they intend to cure any potential problem.

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:57 pm

Glad it's resolved,Ronk.....these are not cheap,but do look great bits of kit.
Had one as a Raffle prize back in July's National,courtesy of Sopers BMW,and they love them,and use them them themselves.
The parking feature does look handy :thumbsup:
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mcbeee » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:16 am

Not available here, dammit!

Asked the dealer and they knew nothing..... pathetic!
Sold the Z4 M Roadster and a 911 Carrera S now I have a 2021 Z4 3.0i
8) 8) 8)

EssexZed

Post by EssexZed » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:18 am

mcbeee wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:16 am Not available here, dammit!

Asked the dealer and they knew nothing..... pathetic!
The camera was never listed as compatible with the E85/6 Z4's but given Ronk's experience I notice that now the E89 appears to have been delisted from the list of compatible models! http://www.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/topics/disco ... =9872.html

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jamie_z4 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:04 pm

cant understand why anyone would pay so much for a dash cam.

ive got one in mine i fitted myself in 10 minutes , cost 80 quid and is perfect quality.
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mcbeee » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:13 pm

jamie_z4 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:04 pm cant understand why anyone would pay so much for a dash cam.

ive got one in mine i fitted myself in 10 minutes , cost 80 quid and is perfect quality.
And the same can be said for Sat Nav. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Sold the Z4 M Roadster and a 911 Carrera S now I have a 2021 Z4 3.0i
8) 8) 8)

sad_old_man

Post by sad_old_man » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:30 pm

The Nextbase 412GW next to the BMW Advanced Car Eye is like comparing my e89 35is with a Fiat Uno? However when the dealer categorically states that fitting the Nextbase to my car will invalidate my warranty I do consider the fact that the DCT replaced under warranty should it go faulty would more than compensate for the £299.04 I paid for the dealers to fit the cam. But that's because I'm stupid.

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jamie_z4 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:41 pm

sad_old_man wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:30 pm The Nextbase 412GW next to the BMW Advanced Car Eye is like comparing my e89 35is with a Fiat Uno? However when the dealer categorically states that fitting the Nextbase to my car will invalidate my warranty I do consider the fact that the DCT replaced under warranty should it go faulty would more than compensate for the £299.04 I paid for the dealers to fit the cam. But that's because I'm stupid.
Hmm id like some paperwork in writing to say why an auxiliary item like a dash cam plugged into an auxiliary port in a car would invalidate warranty. Defo scare tactics to make you pay through the nose but understand your logic!
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:25 pm

The BMW Advanced Car Eye goes into park mode for 5hrs with a low battery protection system - Im not sure its worth all the extra dosh but it does seem like good kit.