Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Head Up Display

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
IRD

Head Up Display

Post by IRD » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:48 pm

Has anyone tried any of these aftermarket Head Up Display Units? They vary in price from under £20 to near enough £500. BMW are now producing their own version at £449 fitted. Had a look at it but wasn't particularly impressed at what you get for the money. Any recommendations?

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Head Up Display

Post by TitanTim » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:20 pm

I looked at a couple of aftermarket HUDs when I ordered the M140i, Garmin and some American make, can remember the name now but the downside was they plugged into the OBD port which is already being used in the car so ended up getting the BMW HUD when the car was delivered and had it fitted at the pdi. The aftermarket ones I looked at weren't that much cheaper than BMWs. Its much neater as its all hardwired into the canbus. Generally pleased with it and the screen brightness adjusts automatically and is easily readable in bright sunlight. Gives a decent amount of info, outside temp, torque, speed etc. My only bugbear is it doesn't integrate with the idrive and cars sat nav and relies on a Garmin/BMW app on your mobile phone for satnav directions, speed cameras and traffic delays etc which is a shame. The screen folds down and switches off if you don't want it displaying. Its not as good as proper windscreen HUD and a little heath robinson sat ontop of the dash binnacle but they don't do a pukka HUD for the F20/21.

Tim.

IRD

Head Up Display

Post by IRD » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:27 am

Thanks for the information Tim. It is the only extra that I should have specced but didn't. I ordered the media professional pack but needed the media professional plus pack to get the integrated HUD. I 'll know next time. On the aftermarket BMW HUD which you have am I correct in assuming you don't need the phone app for mph but you do for navigation and speed cameras?

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Head Up Display

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:36 am

IRD wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:27 am Thanks for the information Tim. It is the only extra that I should have specced but didn't. I ordered the media professional pack but needed the media professional plus pack to get the integrated HUD. I 'll know next time. On the aftermarket BMW HUD which you have am I correct in assuming you don't need the phone app for mph but you do for navigation and speed cameras?
No problem. Yes that's correct.
The HUD as it's connected to the cars canbus displays mph, fuel range, torque revs without using any apps. You need the Garmin maps app for navigation, speed cameras and traffic info. You also need BMWs HUD app to configure the HUD unit. It's OK but sometimes it's quite stubborn to get it all to connect and pic up wifi signal. I do however find having the cars info on top of the binnacle in front your eyesight very useful, especially mph :) I thought it would be distracting but find it much better than looking at cars dials. It's just the look of the unit which is a bit clumsy but then any aftermarket unit will be the same.

Tim.

IRD

Head Up Display

Post by IRD » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:19 pm

Thanks Tim. It looks like this is the best aftermarket buy.

Cheers Ian

IRD

Head Up Display

Post by IRD » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:10 pm

Hi Tim

Don't know whether you will look at this thread again as it's quite old now. Anyway, have had a BMW HUD flitted to the 330d. As you say it's not as good as proper HUD. However, I am quite pleased with it. I will have to see how much data the app uses as I don't have a big allowance on my current contract.
Thanks for your help.