Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Trackers

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
jimmybell

Trackers

Post by jimmybell » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:42 pm

I literally know nothing about them - and you guys tend to have some reasonably (some of you) researched opinions on things...

Can i get one i can monitor on my iphone yet? Any particularly good brands/models? Anyone any experience of using them in anger?

Cheers
V12 Vantage S - Hammerhead Silver, Manual, Lightweight Wheels, Exterior Carbon++, Carbon Buckets, AMR Performance Pack.
M135i LCI - ZF8, White, HK Audio, Adaptive
--
GONE Z4 M Coupe, Imola, CSLs
GONE C63 AMG, Black, Performance Pack+, LSD, HK

slick

Trackers

Post by slick » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:15 pm

Skytag.........there is an option for tracking on your own internet enabled device
E85 2.5 sterling grey
E89 3.0 se
Porsche 987 Boxster 3.4S
E89 3.5i
TVR Chimerea 4 litres of rolling thunder
Corvette C6 a moment of insanity
E89 3.0i

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Trackers

Post by TitanTim » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:59 pm

Would you want the car back if nicked, personally I wouldn't and hope it would be written off. BMW are playing ball now with stolen new cars as they are able to track them but a while back refused to assist the Police but understand this has changed now. Theres a codeword that BMW use which i think is Operation Cundell which you give to the Police. There was a guy on the babybmw site who had his M140i stolen a few days after collecting it and was tracked by BMW and found by the Police, the car had been used in a few robberies, thrashed and abused and was written off.

I think gap insurance is a better bet.

Tim.

jimmybell

Trackers

Post by jimmybell » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:23 pm

TitanTim wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:59 pm I think gap insurance is a better bet.

Tim.
Appreciate the input .. but... anyone know anything about trackers? :P
V12 Vantage S - Hammerhead Silver, Manual, Lightweight Wheels, Exterior Carbon++, Carbon Buckets, AMR Performance Pack.
M135i LCI - ZF8, White, HK Audio, Adaptive
--
GONE Z4 M Coupe, Imola, CSLs
GONE C63 AMG, Black, Performance Pack+, LSD, HK

Silverzedtom

Trackers

Post by Silverzedtom » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:57 pm

Not sure if it works the same for individual trackers for private use but the company I work for has a fleet of vans that are all fitted with trackers. The main reason is to bring down the insurance price.

They show the van as a dot on a google earth style map and it's live, so the vans can be seen in real time.

It also shows engine rpm, what gear was used and when, engine temps, how long the van has been at addresses. It's all stored as well.

It's fascinating to look at the data. I can find out what tracking device is used and what software is used to view the data if that's of any use.
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S