Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Parking Advice

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
buzyg
Legend
Legend

Parking Advice

Post by buzyg » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:35 pm

Not very neighbourly. Have you tried parking one of your cars there?

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Parking Advice

Post by TitanTim » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:55 pm

Why not just let their tyres down each time they park there :)

Tim.

dans6490

Parking Advice

Post by dans6490 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:01 pm

I've always tried ignoring them parking there as I dont want to fall out with them but the parking tonight was so thoughtless it did really annoy me.

The other gripe I have, is that the other side of the road has no houses, just a fence bordering one really long garden ( as the photos show). Any cars parked there obstruct no driveways or houses but no one will park there!! It's as if there is some issue with parking there that only I can't see!! Is it the extra 10 feet walk that puts them off I wonder??

I think the answer is the dropped curb, something I will need once I get round to lowering the zed anyway. This was a fallout is avoided.

I've often considered buying a £200 car, finding out where the culprit lives and park it outside their house permanately.

dans6490

Parking Advice

Post by dans6490 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:09 pm

TitanTim wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:55 pm Why not just let their tyres down each time they park there :)

Tim.
Haha. It has been considered!

If you zoom in on the photo at the passenger window, it was left open quite a bit. When washing the zed earlier, I was so tempted to (accidentally) blast the hose through the gap for 30 seconds!

My problem is, that I treat others how I expect to be treated. So I find inconsiderate twats like this so confusing, I simply wouldn't dream of parking like this so also don't really know how to react.

My first reaction is revenge which is never going to end well, so doing nothing is my next reaction, which also solves nothing

Flyingfifer

Parking Advice

Post by Flyingfifer » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:52 am

Technically they are "obstructing access to the public highway" which is a criminal offence, I work for my local council here and we have a couple of methods for dealing with this, the first is for a "T bar" to be painted by the council in front of your driveway, this solidifies the legal position. The other is we would send round the Traffic Wardens to have a word however technically this is a police matter, there is also the issue that should you require to leave in an emergency you are not able to do so.

TL;DR - Phone the cops, its technically illegal

PerryGunn wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:02 pm Alternatively, you could always 'liberate' a couple of traffic cones from some roadworks and leave them strategically placed in front of your house...
Dont do this, it is obstruction of the public highway and a criminal offence :(
2006 3.0Si Coupé in Monaco Blau with all the optional trimmings

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Parking Advice

Post by jamie_z4 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:27 am

nitromors it
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

dans6490

Parking Advice

Post by dans6490 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:16 am

jamie_z4 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:27 am nitromors it
Lol, that would improve the looks of the horrific "shed".

maxman

Parking Advice

Post by maxman » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:28 am

I would go around to next door and ask them to move the car as you can't get out ,go for a short run.Do this a few times and they will get the message.

Carmad84

Parking Advice

Post by Carmad84 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:30 am

whilst i agree that is a bit of a dumb place to park they are well within their rights to park there. Putting cones like above will just antagonize the situation, it is not legally your space and lowering yourself to their behavior is childish at best, i would be inclined to leave a car out the front.

dans6490

Parking Advice

Post by dans6490 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:31 am

maxman wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:28 am I would go around to next door and ask them to move the car as you can't get out ,go for a short run.Do this a few times and they will get the message.
In the short term this is what I will have to do, then a dropped kerb as long term solution

dans6490

Parking Advice

Post by dans6490 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:35 am

Carmad84 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:30 am whilst i agree that is a bit of a dumb place to park they are well within their rights to park there. Putting cones like above will just antagonize the situation, it is not legally your space and lowering yourself to their behavior is childish at best, i would be inclined to leave a car out the front.
Exactly, I don't want to enter into a war with neighbours that we get on well with. It's just very inconsiderate to even consider parking there, I can't understand the mindset of someone who would do it.

Dropped kerb will hopefully sort the situation

Carmad84

Parking Advice

Post by Carmad84 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:02 am

dans6490 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:35 am
Carmad84 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:30 am whilst i agree that is a bit of a dumb place to park they are well within their rights to park there. Putting cones like above will just antagonize the situation, it is not legally your space and lowering yourself to their behavior is childish at best, i would be inclined to leave a car out the front.
Exactly, I don't want to enter into a war with neighbours that we get on well with. It's just very inconsiderate to even consider parking there, I can't understand the mindset of someone who would do it.

I have had the same in the past and starting wars with neighbours is never a good idea and always ends badly, you will be shocked at the lengths some people go to.. Especially if you have your pride and joy parked out front!

dans6490

Parking Advice

Post by dans6490 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:11 am

Carmad84 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:02 am
dans6490 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:35 am

I have had the same in the past and starting wars with neighbours is never a good idea and always ends badly, you will be shocked at the lengths some people go to.. Especially if you have your pride and joy parked out front!
I can imagine!! To be fair, my neighbours are nice people. They're very religious and generally like you'd wish neighbours to be. We don't have much in common though apart from our ages. They have 5 children and the driver of this car is a lady in her late 50s (I'm guessing), who comes to help with child care.

I'm really surprised they don't mention to her as I would do if it were my visitor blocking them in.

Jaw

Parking Advice

Post by Jaw » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:03 pm

not sure it is entirely legit?

wouldn't it technically count as a nuisance - interfering with the enjoyment of your property? It's clearly a driveway drop kerb or not..

Although maybe it will come down to the original planning provisions of the driveway too..
Z4M Roadster - Gone but not forgotten
E92 M3 | 981 Boxster S | Corvette C4 | 996 911 Gemballa |XR8 | Whatever else is lurking in the garage

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Parking Advice

Post by PerryGunn » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:10 pm

Jaw wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:03 pm It's clearly a driveway drop kerb or not..
Unfortunately not - quoted from elsewhere...

The Highways Act 1980 – Section 184, makes it an offence to drive a vehicle across a footway, or verge, where there is no proper vehicle crossover. It allows for the Highway Authority (or its Agent) to agree to a new vehicle crossover to be constructed. New drop kerb vehicle crossings were historically called carriage crossings. They include both the physical lowering of the kerb (the dropped kerb) and a permission to allow a vehicle to cross the public footway.

i.e. it doesn't matter how long/wide your driveway is, legally you're only allowed to drive onto your driveway via the dropped kerb
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *