Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hot tub - issues - what would you do?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
RubyBlueZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RubyBlueZ4MC » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:16 pm

Hello all!
After my thread earlier in the year we took into account all of your valued opinions (ok not the ones about pampas grass and nsfw pics) and ended up deciding to purchase a 4 person hottub from a special department at our local garden centre. It cost us over £4000.
It was installed 29 days ago and we absolutely loved it and were sure we made the right decision. However after 10 days and about 3 uses, the last where we took it up to its highest heat of 40 deg we noticed a crack near the filter which had appeared from no obvious actions (I know what you lot are thinking and no there was none of that!).
We immediately spoke to Which about our consumer rights and they advised us that since the product did not adhere to the expected quality standards and that we were within 30 days that our rights entitled us to request a full refund. We went for this option but the company offered us an exchange of another new product and as we had thoroughly enjoyed having the hottub we agreed on this. It was delivered today but the cable is not as long as the previous one and we cannot plug it in! Also they say that the lid needs to be changed as in theory our existing one should have fit but they are saying that this is a touch bigger and the clasps will not fit so they will arrange a new one to be delivered.
We are exasperated :headbang: and very aware of day 30 being tomorrow. We sent them an email with formal letter attached rejecting the product and then promptly received a phonecall from the owner saying she will endeavour to get the issues sorted asap and todays issues were not fed back to her by the delivery team. We are not sure what to do as logic tells us to save ourselves more hassle and reject and take refund. However, we are pretty sure she will agree to an elongation of the grace period where we can request a refund if there are issues should we chose to keep it. She quoted she wants happy customers regardless of our final decision. Personally I have lost confidence in the product as it shouldn't have cracked in 10 days of mild usage.
However we like the product in the time we have used it (see below) and want to keep it (without further issues). We have all agreed to sleep on it and chat tomorrow regarding decisions.
What would you clever people recommend?

Gone: Interlagos Blue Z4 ///M Coupe
Remains: Red Skoda Yeti DSG Family Wagon! :o and the Hubby's Topaz Blue Z3 2.8 Facelift

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:28 pm

If you really want the hot tub (it sounds like you do) I would give the replacement a chance, it sounds like the seller is keen to do the right thing to make you happy with it & you have the guarantee to cover further issues.
I'd stick with it.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

hopz121
Lifer
Lifer

Post by hopz121 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:32 pm

Smartbear wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:28 pm If you really want the hot tub (it sounds like you do) I would give the replacement a chance, it sounds like the seller is keen to do the right thing to make you happy with it & you have the guarantee to cover further issues.
I'd stick with it.
Rob
This

They seem to want to help which is good.

I am guessing if it goes wrong after the 30 days you have a warranty too?
2004 BMW E46 M3 Coupe - Manual - Silver Grey
2017 BMW F31 318d M-Sport - Auto - Glacier Silver
2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 - Manual - Arctic Silver
2003 Renault Clio 172 Cup - Blue
2003 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i - Gone
2008 BMW E90 330i SE - Gone

Disca

Post by Disca » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:37 pm

hopz121 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:32 pm They seem to want to help which is good.

I am guessing if it goes wrong after the 30 days you have a warranty too?
They have been decent in handling it so far yes.
There is a warranty for two years on the shell covering any water leaks and a one year warranty on the electrical bits. I need to clarify though whether the warranty would cover another chip forming in the shell for example, as that isn't a leak.
But if something did go wrong, would I end up kicking myself (read this as Ruby kicking me) for not getting rid of it, as even with warranty it would still be some form of hassle.
He who has the most toys, wins.

‘15 VFR1200FD

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:41 pm

That's a risk you will have to take on the chin, something can go wrong with any purchase after a period of use :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Mittsee

Post by Mittsee » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:19 am

What do you do??? You stop wasting your time by taking photograph, then let the water feel your (plural) warmth.

volumex65

Post by volumex65 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:51 am

sale of goods act will cover you for longer than the 30 days :thumbsup:
You don`t need a parachute to skydive - you only need one to do it for a second time :exitright:

Post by sticky » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:43 am

if you have good response from the dealer then go with that, chances are many will listen to your calls and do ,,,,not a lot

Disca

Post by Disca » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:46 am

sticky wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:43 am if you have good response from the dealer then go with that, chances are many will listen to your calls and do ,,,,not a lot
Yeah we've had past issues which is why we are cautious however this business is a family one and they really have been doing everything they can to resolve the issues rapidly up until now!
He who has the most toys, wins.

‘15 VFR1200FD

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:57 am

The seller appears to to be responding well to the issues. Of course that won't change the built quality of the product. My understanding of the 30 day rule, is it reboots each time you receive a new replacement, worth checking that for peace of mind, if you accept the replacement. :)

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:16 pm

For the value of the product, and if there is no real inconvenience to you, I would try a replacement if offered. 30 days is only for a full refund and as long as you notify within that time it's an option for you - your preference though so you need to decide what you want.

Within 6 months a fault is presumed to have been present at the time of purchase and the burden of proof is reversed, i.e. the retailer must prove you caused the fault. If an attempt at repair or replacement has failed, you have the right to reject the goods for a full refund or price reduction - if you wish to keep the product.

If you have paid any amount for the product on credit card you also have the option to pursue your card issuer under s71 of The Consumer Credit Act - useful if the firm goes bust or to save the costs of enforcing against the retailer.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Stuartt

Post by Stuartt » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:09 pm

On a side note, how do you get in and out of your patio door as it looks completely blocked by your lovely new purchase :wink:

Stuart
2004 3.0i SE Roadster , GONE to a good home :thumbsup:
2010 e89 35i Sdrive M sport. GONE for salvage :cry: but has been reborn

2014 e89 35is M-Sport Design Pure Traction 😈😈😈

RubyBlueZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RubyBlueZ4MC » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:42 pm

Stuartt wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:09 pm On a side note, how do you get in and out of your patio door as it looks completely blocked by your lovely new purchase :wink:

Stuart
Probably hard to tell from that pic but there was ample space in front of the open doors. In fact the fit was rather perfect.
Remains: Red Skoda Yeti DSG Family Wagon! :o and the Hubby's Topaz Blue Z3 2.8 Facelift

RubyBlueZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RubyBlueZ4MC » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:47 pm

Thank you all for your input, its nice to get opinions from knowledgable people when trying to make a big decision. We ended up deciding to take the refund as we didn't think we have full trust in the product anymore and would be waiting for something to go wrong. We are rather upset as we really liked it but don't think we can have anymore ongoing sagas after a few things going wrong over the past year and writing too many complaint letters. For a product that we thought would help with stress it just started causing too much of it. Maybe in a year or 2 we will think about looking elsewhere for a replacement.

Pastry

Post by Pastry » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:39 pm

If you do revisit hot tubs, consider hotspring. We are are really happy with ours and they come with a great warranty which we haven't had to use :thumbsup:
991 Carrera 2S
Now gone:
2008 Z4MR Midnight Blue Metallic
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Ruby Black
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Titanium Silver
2010 Z4 23i Msport and a 3.0i