Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Koenigsegg Freevalve - camless engine

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:02 pm

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:04 pm

I think lotus have been playing around with camless engines for yonks, they had a running engine but I don't think it had a very high rpm range?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:16 pm

Shame that you would need to rely on electronics to make sure the engine didnt go bang after the valves hit the pistons.
At least with a normal engine there needs to be a failure like a belt or chain snapping for damage to occur.
I think the best idea for an engine was an old Honda design with gear driven cams. I think Aprilia have also done this in recent years.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Ethicsgradient

Post by Ethicsgradient » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:08 pm

Nictrix wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:16 pm Shame that you would need to rely on electronics to make sure the engine didnt go bang after the valves hit the pistons.
At least with a normal engine there needs to be a failure like a belt or chain snapping for damage to occur.
I think the best idea for an engine was an old Honda design with gear driven cams. I think Aprilia have also done this in recent years.

Ford 2.3 and 2.8 V6 Cologne engine was gear driven I think . Hondas 750 VFR engine was definatley gear driven , thats what the interesting whine noise they made was .

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:16 pm

Ethicsgradient wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:08 pm
Nictrix wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:16 pm Shame that you would need to rely on electronics to make sure the engine didnt go bang after the valves hit the pistons.

Ford 2.3 and 2.8 V6 Cologne engine was gear driven I think . Hondas 750 VFR engine was definatley gear driven , thats what the interesting whine noise they made was .
They would have been quite a bit before the Honda engines then, Im sure the VFRs first had it in the mid 80s.
Aprilia put gear driven cams in their WSB bikes trying to bend the rules a little as they gave more power. They had to release a kit to change the normal engines to gear driven to stay withing the rules, even though probably nobody would buy the kit.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:24 pm

750 VFR :wub:

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:52 pm

The Ford cologne had a camshaft drive gear made from FIBRE, running in oil.. I kid you not! They used to just break into pieces...
TV1422.jpg
TV1422.jpg (82.57 KiB) Viewed 1474 times
Mike

maxman

Post by maxman » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:09 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:52 pm The Ford cologne had a camshaft drive gear made from FIBRE, running in oil.. I kid you not! They used to just break into pieces...

TV1422.jpg

Mike
I remember when I worked in a garage in the 70's,we had a V6 ford in with a misfire and after a lot of digging it was found the outer part of the fibre gear was slipping backwards and forwards,leading us a merry dance.

Ethicsgradient

Post by Ethicsgradient » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:21 pm

Nictrix wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:16 pm
Ethicsgradient wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:08 pm

They would have been quite a bit before the Honda engines then, Im sure the VFRs first had it in the mid 80s.
Aprilia put gear driven cams in their WSB bikes trying to bend the rules a little as they gave more power. They had to release a kit to change the normal engines to gear driven to stay withing the rules, even though probably nobody would buy the kit.

Nice bikes Aprillia , Had a SL1000 Falco some years ago , as a sport touring miles muncher it was great .

Ethicsgradient

Post by Ethicsgradient » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:23 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:52 pm The Ford cologne had a camshaft drive gear made from FIBRE, running in oil.. I kid you not! They used to just break into pieces...

TV1422.jpg

Mike
I went for a look because it was a foggy memory of them , seems there was a conversion kit to make the gears not fiber and proper metal :)

Flyingfifer

Post by Flyingfifer » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:56 am

Freevalve wrote: What happens if there is a catastrophic failure on a Freevalve equipped engine compared to a camshaft equipped engine?

If the complete system fails, the engine will simply stop running with no damage to the engine, as compared to a camshaft equipped engine which will be badly damaged or destroyed if a belt or chain breaks.

...The engine will be able to provide limp-home capability even if 75% of the actuators were to fail.
Cool tech, its about time we removed belts and stuff from the engine bays and with upwards of 50% increases to both torque and power its exciting stuff not to mention the lower profile of the engine (lowering the centre of gravity) and substantially lower weight! :driving:
2006 3.0Si Coupé in Monaco Blau with all the optional trimmings