Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Could have been worse...

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Chii

Could have been worse...

Post by Chii » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:38 pm

Oh man, I really wanted to give this a go! This has certainly put me off it.
Really gutting I'm sure

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Could have been worse...

Post by mmm-five » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:52 pm

andysat wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:19 pm What the fastest mph you can get up to on a straight??
Depends on the car and the circuit configuration.

My mates R33 GTR gets 184mph up the Dottinger Hohe straight- but only when it's a full lap (i.e. not BTG tourist day). He also hits 160mph before braking for Schwedenkreuz, and is over 140mph down Fuchsrohre.

It's actually no the straight line speed that impresses me...although that is quick...but how early he can get on the throttle to pull the car through a corner.

As far as mine is concerned, I'm about 20mph slower into Schwedenkreuz, and 10mph slower down Fuchsrohre.

There's nothing to be scared of really - except for fluid spills, blind corners, track day warriors, Ring rental cars (tend to be driven like they're stolen)...just drive it like you would a B-road that you've never driven before. Don't worry about being 'too slow'...there's no such thing...and eventually you will find you're going much faster whilst putting less effort in, and taking less out of the car.

I've done about 1000 laps and am still here...in fact I've had more 'incidents' in the Z4MC on public roads (3) than I've ever had on the Ring (i.e. 0)..yet I take out 1st party insurance every trip. Luckily, due to my 'no claims bonus' with my track cover provider (MORIS), it's gone down every year...so I now pay the same for a 3 day weekend as I used to for a 1 day event.

BTW, I always carry an empty credit card...just in case.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Vonlipvig

Could have been worse...

Post by Vonlipvig » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:13 pm

mmm-five wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:52 pm ...just drive it like you would a B-road that you've never driven before.
That's me in the barrier then :oops:
2009 Sapphire Black 23i

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Could have been worse...

Post by andysat » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:52 pm

mmm-five wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:52 pm
andysat wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:19 pm What the fastest mph you can get up to on a straight??
Depends on the car and the circuit configuration.

My mates R33 GTR gets 184mph up the Dottinger Hohe straight- but only when it's a full lap (i.e. not BTG tourist day). He also hits 160mph before braking for Schwedenkreuz, and is over 140mph down Fuchsrohre.

It's actually no the straight line speed that impresses me...although that is quick...but how early he can get on the throttle to pull the car through a corner.

As far as mine is concerned, I'm about 20mph slower into Schwedenkreuz, and 10mph slower down Fuchsrohre.

There's nothing to be scared of really - except for fluid spills, blind corners, track day warriors, Ring rental cars (tend to be driven like they're stolen)...just drive it like you would a B-road that you've never driven before. Don't worry about being 'too slow'...there's no such thing...and eventually you will find you're going much faster whilst putting less effort in, and taking less out of the car.

I've done about 1000 laps and am still here...in fact I've had more 'incidents' in the Z4MC on public roads (3) than I've ever had on the Ring (i.e. 0)..yet I take out 1st party insurance every trip. Luckily, due to my 'no claims bonus' with my track cover provider (MORIS), it's gone down every year...so I now pay the same for a 3 day weekend as I used to for a 1 day event.

BTW, I always carry an empty credit card...just in case.
Thanks for the write up -out of the 1000 laps you have done what's been your quickest time?
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Could have been worse...

Post by mmm-five » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:08 pm

andysat wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:52 pm Thanks for the write up -out of the 1000 laps you have done what's been your quickest time?
No better than 8m23s...and that was only because my mate in his R33 was acting as a pacemaker/battering ram to make a hole in the traffic for me.

My regular pace is only 9 minutes...not particularly fast, but relatively safe, and I can hit that whether there's traffic, yellows, or not. But it is more or less standard, and on 152,000 miles. Although I haven't timed a lap for about 3 years.

Laps will be a bit quicker now, as some of the track has been reprofiled and smoothed.

The Alfa is only a minute slower :P

Video below of my first (sighting) lap of the day...where you can see I'm taking it carefully on the corners where it can be slippy early on, and braking very early...

...and another, slower, lap a few minutes later where I was asked to shadow a friend in his e34 M5 to see how he liked his new Michelin PSS, Bilstein suspension, and shorter final drive...
Trigger’s Z4MC

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Could have been worse...

Post by andysat » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:26 pm

Hey don't knock yourself-nearly sub 8 mins!
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Could have been worse...

Post by mmm-five » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:41 pm

andysat wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:26 pm Hey don't knock yourself-nearly sub 8 mins!
We don't go / never went to chase times, so we set ourselves challenges instead...such as completing the lap in 4th gear only...or not going above 4000rpm, or not doing a lap with clutchless changes...etc.

The times were only every noticed when we played back the videos at the end of the day...usually to point out some terrible driving by us/another.

Used to do 20-25 laps a day, but it got VERY expensive in lap tickets & fuel...so we now tend to do 25-40 over the course of 3-5 days.
Trigger’s Z4MC

Nican48

Could have been worse...

Post by Nican48 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:15 pm

Don't think I'd fancy it after seeing the vid!

hopz121
Lifer
Lifer

Could have been worse...

Post by hopz121 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:01 pm

Would like to go but seeing stuff like this makes me doubt my decision.

That is going to cost a lot of money to fix and recover all of those cars!

Hopefully everyone got out safe!
2004 BMW E46 M3 Coupe - Manual - Silver Grey
2017 BMW F31 318d M-Sport - Auto - Glacier Silver
2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 - Manual - Arctic Silver
2003 Renault Clio 172 Cup - Blue
2003 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i - Gone
2008 BMW E90 330i SE - Gone

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Could have been worse...

Post by mmm-five » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:37 pm

I'd like to reassure you all that these incidents are very rare...but I'd be lying.

There's an inordinate amount of time hanging around the car parks waiting for the track to reopen after either a multi-car accident (usually caused by one car dropping fluids), or multiple independent incidents (usually driver/car failure), or fatality (usually a biker vs fluid vs barrier incident). Then you can have up to an hour to get out of the overflow car park and back onto the track.

Some weekends are completely clear...but they're in the minority...so you need to have a back up plan on how you're going to spend the day instead of hanging around for 4 hours during a closure.

We tend to do early morning (8-10), and late afternoon sessions (5-7), and go driving around the region for the 'nutter time'. We can still get 15-20 laps in those 4, quieter hours.

We also turn up on the Friday afternoon so that we can get our tickets sorted and do a few laps before we check in to the hotel.

The German bank holiday weekends are the worst!
Trigger’s Z4MC

stevo///m3

Could have been worse...

Post by stevo///m3 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:30 pm

The white/grey SEAT driver did pretty well!
Stevo
SOLD - '07 MCoupe-Sapphire Metallic-Imola leather-piano black
Previous: E36 Evo Vert
Current: ocean-going G31 estate
Insta: stevothecrab

Lance

Could have been worse...

Post by Lance » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:11 pm

Just having a nose at the BTG Ring website and notice there's a Z4 caught up in a big crash at the Foxhole (spilt fluid).

Looks like a non UK plated car, anyone here?

There's a video here - http://www.bridgetogantry.com/mclaren-o ... ing-early/

Apologies if a re-post, was away for a week.
Last edited by Wondermike on Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged

MJJamieson

Z4 Nurburgring Crash

Post by MJJamieson » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:51 pm

The z4 only had light front damage in that video, see what it looks like in this one. :cry:
https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A ... hAO7Re0rEz
2004 E85 Z4 2.5i SE Sterling Grey.

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Z4 Nurburgring Crash

Post by GuidoK » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:41 pm

I think there's a large topic on the german Z forum on this crash with additional video material/report.

By the looks of it after the z4 came to a standstill some others crashed into it? (really badly)

(video from btg site)

German news report that was made on this:
https://www.swr.de/swraktuell/rp/nach-u ... index.html
(click on the screen to start the video)

http://www.zroadster.com/forum/index.ph ... ng.120988/

What a brake save from that seat though.

You can also see that maybe the fluid spill messed up the brake bias on the cars (or maybe its brake balance). Both with the seat and the z4 the back steps out quite a bit under braking and they have to countersteer pretty heavily . Its a slight corner but still looks more than it should.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Z4 Nurburgring Crash

Post by buzyg » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:10 pm

There's another there's on here from a few weeks back. :wink: Some interesting comments...

Here you go. :D

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=99382