Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Are "Smart" motorways actually smart?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:23 pm

Just returned from a round trip from Sunderland to Birmingham and very frustrated to say the least. Set off early, roads very quiet due to school holidays and all was going well until I hit a stretch between the end of the M42 and onto the M6. Four lanes of motorway, mid morning and very light traffic but someone had to switch on the speed restriction signs slowing traffic from 70 "ish" to 60 and down to 40 WHY?
Inevitably this was followed by a sign warning of congestion and queues ahead which there was. No road works or actual increase in traffic but all caused by the slowing of the traffic. There were some roadworks approaching the city so speed restrictions at this point were understandable but 10 miles of them on the M6? The return journey at 4pm was just the same with congestion until the speed restriction signs were lifted and the traffic flowed easily.
The motorways may be "smart" but the people controlling the traffic certainly are not. They surely just have to look at their cameras to see the problems they are causing.

End of rant.
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:30 pm

I share your pain OP!

SMART is the one thing they aren't!

Every week I have to use the M3 which had 50 average cameras for over 3 years while they turned it into one of these disasters! An I use it to get to the M25, which has a queue and a reduced limit every time I do this trip. After 1 junction the limit usually returns to the N/S/L and like magic the queue disappears! :headbang:

The operators seem to be morons - if they were smart the concept may even work. :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Zeld4

Post by Zeld4 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:44 pm

As soon as big brother makes us slow to 40 we bunch up, cars can't move from one lane to the other and slip roads on to the motorway become congested. Yes smart motor way cause congestion.
Have you ever sat at a roundabout controlled by lights and noticed that nobody is actually going round the roundabout, there are just queues of cars waiting at lights. It's all the same thing isn't it.
Smart motorways are all about creating revenue or contriving congestion so we can be forced off the roads when road pricing comes in.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:58 pm

Came home on the latest "Smart" motorway tonight (M3 from J2 to J4).

Gantry signs had a 40 limit and 3(!) lane closure signs due to "workforce in road", so allegedly only 1 lane open. But all 4 were open and no sign of any workforce - so I'd have to say not too "Smart". :evil:

It's taken over 3 years to turn it into a total f*ckup - I hate to think what it has cost. :cry:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:00 am

Zeld4 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:44 pm As soon as big brother makes us slow to 40 we bunch up, cars can't move from one lane to the other and slip roads on to the motorway become congested. Yes smart motor way cause congestion.
Have you ever sat at a roundabout controlled by lights and noticed that nobody is actually going round the roundabout, there are just queues of cars waiting at lights. It's all the same thing isn't it.
Smart motorways are all about creating revenue or contriving congestion so we can be forced off the roads when road pricing comes in.
We are soon to get this on the main Carkeel junction of the A38. I'm dreading it. At least we can get around to the bridge by other routes from where we live. :? :tumbleweed: :cry: