Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

nfbr's 2007 Ruby Black Z4 Coupé! Blog/Build-Thread

Post your Z4 pictures! See sticky post at the top for details of the photo competition.
nfbr

Re: My 2007 Ruby Black Z4 Coupé! Diary/Blog/Build Thread

Post by nfbr » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:23 pm

Managed to find time the other night to get my technician John to have a look at the geometry alignment :)
Took a couple of photographs along the way.

Here it is on the 4-post ramp with the Hunter Alignment system...

Alignment system hubs clamped onto the wheels

Up in the air for a few adjustments - Rear camber and toe were out slightly

Rear end readings: Spot on!

I forgot to take a photo of the front readings, but all was spot on!
The toe was at 0˚05' on both sides, Camber at -1˚21' (L) and -1˚25' (R) - This is adjustable however we didn't have the correct tool for it, so this will be done again at a later date - Hopefully when I decide whether to go with new tyres, or new wheels and tyres!
Caster was a healthy 5˚01 (L) and 4˚51' (R) but isn't adjustable.

The car now drives miles better. Steering feels more direct and I have less pulling over lumps in the road.
Mega happy :)

Next up, a good clean.

Dale_B

Post by Dale_B » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:19 pm

Good results mate :thumbsup: makes such a difference having the alignment set up correctly.

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:50 pm

At the weekend I finally got around to giving the car a good clean!

First up, A quick rinse with the pressure washer to get rid of any loose debris

Then a pre-wash, a rinse, then another wash using the good old two bucket method and a microfibre wash mitt

Another rinse and it's looking better already!

Next up was to clay the paintwork on the car, For this I used a medium Bilt Hamber clay and a home mix of clay lube.

Just a small area of the paintwork on the roof brought up this with just one pass! Looks like it hasn't been done before...

After 2-hours of claying, the paintwork felt a lot smoother, but needed brightening up a little

So, On the recommendation of a friend, I gave the car two coats of AutoSmart Platinum Polish. Very similar to AutoGlym Super Resin, but with far less powder.

After drying with an Ultra Plush Microfibre Drying towel, it was polishing time.

With the polish applied and removed, We're now onto the finishing coats! I've chosen to go for FinishKare FK1000P after a lot of recommendations on detailing forums.

FK1000P Applied

2-Coats later

Next up, The leather... Due to me having no seat cover and having worked on it quite a bit in the past few months, the drivers seat had got a little dirty.
For this, I opted to go for a leather cleaner and conditioner kit from Gliptone - Basically - Gliptone are a leather producer and one of the worlds finest leather dye/paint companies, so they know exactly what they are doing when they make their leather care products!

Needless to say, It came up absolutely beautifully and I'm now happy that the leather is protected and conditioned!

Another cool by-product of this stuff, is that my car now smells like a leather factory! Such a nice smell :)

Anyway - Here's a couple of finished pictures:

And a couple of beading pictures for those interested in how the FK1000P works with rain :)

Overall, I'm happy with the products that I've used, but I'm thinking maybe a little later on in the year, I'll have the paintwork professionally machine polished as there are unfortunately a number of marks that I'd like to get rid of and some areas on the bonnet where it looks like someone has made a poor and thoughtless effort of removing bird poop.

Next up, Hopefully discs and pads once they arrive with me from Italy :)
Last edited by nfbr on Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dale_B

Post by Dale_B » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:32 pm

That clay bar was fairly dirty! I can imagine the lower half of the doors and side skirt panels being even worse? Overall it's came out great 8)

Any particular discs & pads you are getting for them to come from Italy?

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:08 pm

Dale_B wrote:That clay bar was fairly dirty! I can imagine the lower half of the doors and side skirt panels being even worse? Overall it's came out great 8)
Strangely enough, the only two surfaces that were this bad were the roof and the bonnet. Everything else was pretty good overall! The bumper, the tailgate, the skirts, doors and wings only needed one pass!
Dale_B wrote:Any particular discs & pads you are getting for them to come from Italy?
Tarox 'D95' Discs (Heat Treated, Anti-Corrosion Treated , Countersunk Drilled) and Tarox 'Strada' Pads (moderate fast road use).
They normally only offer their G88 (40-grooved), F2000 (Swirl Grooved) and Sport Japan (Drilled/Slotted) rotors to UK customers so I'm having the ones I wanted imported by Tarox UK :)

Dale_B

Post by Dale_B » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:57 pm

nfbr wrote: Tarox 'D95' Discs (Heat Treated, Anti-Corrosion Treated , Countersunk Drilled) and Tarox 'Strada' Pads (moderate fast road use).
They normally only offer their G88 (40-grooved), F2000 (Swirl Grooved) and Sport Japan (Drilled/Slotted) rotors to UK customers so I'm having the ones I wanted imported by Tarox UK :)
Good choice 8)... You are certainly getting the zed into top shape that's for sure.

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:33 pm

I've found some wheels that I really like (And can get Michelin Pilot Supersport Tyres for) too but I'm still umming and arring about taking the car away from the OEM+ looks that I normally go for :(
And I'm not too sure how it'd look with 19"s on the Eibachs or whether I'd need to change for the H&R's.

Probably not something that I'll be doing any time soon though.

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:01 pm

After a quiet period in which I've been mostly chasing tail... I've received my made to measure stainless steel pipes!
My plan is to give the Coupé a little more aural presence by removing the centre silencer!

Here are the pipes:

And here's the offending silencer: (Photo borrowed from someone on Z-Post)

I'm gonna have a word with our Tech genius guy Wayne and get him to do me a little Drive Away video of the standard exhaust, Then keep my fingers crossed that I measured it up right, then re-measure it all again another two or three times before cutting and joining... Then get another video on the same road with the silencer bypass pipes fitted :)

An update maybe later this week on these. :)

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:44 pm

Saturday morning job: Get rid of the centre silencer!

First up, Here's the silencer...

Cutting the old one off. I used an air speed saw for this. It took quite a while, but wasn't difficult.

With the four pipes chopped, An axle jack saved me from having a sore foot...

Comparing the silencer with the two replacement pipes - Weight wise, around 2kg has been saved - I quite simply couldn't believe how heavy that tiny little silencer was!

Pipes in place sleeved over, sealed with silicone and fastened up with Mikalor SupaClamps

And finally the finished thing:

First impressions: Driving around normally there is absolutely no increase in drone or any horrible resonance whatsoever.
The tone of the exhaust has changed slightly and if anything feels a little 'deeper' than it was before.

Volume wise, there's a little difference, the car sounds a bit more like it should have done from factory, but it in no way sounds like an aftermarket exhaust.
I'm quite happy with it so far.

Here's a quick crappy rev-up video I took with my iPhone.

John002

Post by John002 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:49 pm

I need to get a start on mine. Have you chosen the wheels yet?
3.0si Sapphire Black Coupe

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:01 pm

Kind of... I'm not sure though. Plus other things are 'diverting' my funds at the moment... Which I'm not too sure whether it's a :thumbsdown: or a :thumbsup: yet...

John002

Post by John002 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:12 pm

Same here, a refurb is half the money toward decent reps and my wheels def need doing. Then there is the added cost of spacers. I've just bought h&r springs and I'm keen to get it all sorted.

Did you buy the spacers online? Might just bite the bullet on some??

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:15 pm

Drop me a message if you're looking for some good quality ones (i.e. H&R or Eibach) and I'll look after you on price as much as I can :)

John002

Post by John002 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:20 pm

PM'd :thumbsup:

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:58 pm

Have you had a chance to drive the car more since the mid-box removal? Any more info would be much appreciated!

Also, I don't suppose you took any other photos of the exhaust rear-ward of the mid-box, and just before the back-box? I'm thinking of a certain exhaust modification myself, but want to do a bit more research before taking the plunge!!

Finally, can you confirm the diameter of the exhaust pipes? Is each one 2"? Cheers
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(