Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

nfbr's 2007 Ruby Black Z4 Coupé! Blog/Build-Thread

Post your Z4 pictures! See sticky post at the top for details of the photo competition.
nfbr

Re: My 2007 Ruby Black Z4 Coupé! Diary/Blog/Build Thread

Post by nfbr » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:01 pm

After a quiet period in which I've been mostly chasing tail... I've received my made to measure stainless steel pipes!
My plan is to give the Coupé a little more aural presence by removing the centre silencer!

Here are the pipes:

And here's the offending silencer: (Photo borrowed from someone on Z-Post)

I'm gonna have a word with our Tech genius guy Wayne and get him to do me a little Drive Away video of the standard exhaust, Then keep my fingers crossed that I measured it up right, then re-measure it all again another two or three times before cutting and joining... Then get another video on the same road with the silencer bypass pipes fitted :)

An update maybe later this week on these. :)

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:44 pm

Saturday morning job: Get rid of the centre silencer!

First up, Here's the silencer...

Cutting the old one off. I used an air speed saw for this. It took quite a while, but wasn't difficult.

With the four pipes chopped, An axle jack saved me from having a sore foot...

Comparing the silencer with the two replacement pipes - Weight wise, around 2kg has been saved - I quite simply couldn't believe how heavy that tiny little silencer was!

Pipes in place sleeved over, sealed with silicone and fastened up with Mikalor SupaClamps

And finally the finished thing:

First impressions: Driving around normally there is absolutely no increase in drone or any horrible resonance whatsoever.
The tone of the exhaust has changed slightly and if anything feels a little 'deeper' than it was before.

Volume wise, there's a little difference, the car sounds a bit more like it should have done from factory, but it in no way sounds like an aftermarket exhaust.
I'm quite happy with it so far.

Here's a quick crappy rev-up video I took with my iPhone.

John002

Post by John002 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:49 pm

I need to get a start on mine. Have you chosen the wheels yet?
3.0si Sapphire Black Coupe

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:01 pm

Kind of... I'm not sure though. Plus other things are 'diverting' my funds at the moment... Which I'm not too sure whether it's a :thumbsdown: or a :thumbsup: yet...

John002

Post by John002 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:12 pm

Same here, a refurb is half the money toward decent reps and my wheels def need doing. Then there is the added cost of spacers. I've just bought h&r springs and I'm keen to get it all sorted.

Did you buy the spacers online? Might just bite the bullet on some??

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:15 pm

Drop me a message if you're looking for some good quality ones (i.e. H&R or Eibach) and I'll look after you on price as much as I can :)

John002

Post by John002 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:20 pm

PM'd :thumbsup:

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:58 pm

Have you had a chance to drive the car more since the mid-box removal? Any more info would be much appreciated!

Also, I don't suppose you took any other photos of the exhaust rear-ward of the mid-box, and just before the back-box? I'm thinking of a certain exhaust modification myself, but want to do a bit more research before taking the plunge!!

Finally, can you confirm the diameter of the exhaust pipes? Is each one 2"? Cheers
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:23 pm

Done around 80 miles today and yesterday. Still absolutely no additional drone, no harsh resonance. Just sounds like standard only a little louder and with a bit of a burble on over run.

The inner diameter of the pipes needs to be 49.5mm on one end and 50.5mm on the other end. I would advise having it welded rather than using clamps like I did. But then my version was purely for research purposes at this point.

Here's another video with the car on a closed road.

This thread on Z-Post helped me out a lot.
Last edited by nfbr on Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:57 pm

Well, It's been a while! I've been busy doing some bits with the house whilst the good weather is out including replacing a bannister rail with a glass block wall and generally enjoying the lovely weather (when we've had some) in the car, as well as doing a lot of the VW Shows working for Awesome GTI / Volkswagen Racing / APR UK Ltd.

The time has come for me to do an oil change of which the bits have already arrived!
- 7 Litres of Millers Oils 'Nanodrive' EE Longlife C3 (5w30) which is both BMW LL04 approved and also gets some fantastic reviews from many people within the tuning industry
- Mann HU816x Oil Filter - Mann filters make the Genuine BMW Filter, infact they even have their Name and Part number stamped on the genuine filter!
- Genuine BMW Sump Plug and Washer

I've also ordered up some 19" Alloy wheels and some 225/35/19 - 255/30/19 Goodyear Eagle F1 Assy2's
I'll get some photos up of the wheels once I've received them, the tyres are looking to take around approximately 7-10 business days to get here, by which point, I should finally have my new Tarox Discs and Pads too!

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:19 pm

So it's not always fun in the world of playing with cars!
When I bought my lovely Z4 Coupé, the independent car sales company I bought it off did an oil and filter change - despite me telling them not to and that I'd do it myself...
6 months, 729 miles and a strange noise coming from the oil filter housing later, I have finally got around to replacing the oil and the oil filter that they had used.

When I picked the car up and found that they'd done an oil change, I asked to check the invoice for the parts they'd used, so I knew that the oil grade was right, but never actually thought to check the brand of oil filter. Having looked around google to find out what this strange noise just off idle was coming from my engine, it turned out that quite a few people had experienced the issue and had found it to be a replacement oil filter manufactured called 'FRAM', which people are lead to believe are a good quality manufacturer. This unfortunately is not the case.

FRAM make inferior quality filters, they stick to the stock sizes, but they don't stick to the stock design of filter (i.e. number of pleats, end finish type, filtration media etc).

Here's a quick picture of what I saw after removing the oil filter cover:
As you can see, the date stamp shows the filter was manufactured in May of 2014, so definitely a good sign that the filter had indeed been changed, but check out the warped shape to the rubber head of the filter!

Upon removing the filter from the housing, I was even more shocked!
This thing was completely screwed. This is usually something that we see when a filter has been in a car for 50,000+ miles, Not 500-1000 miles! But what I've now seen through research on the web, this is fairly standard for a FRAM filter.

The other side of the filter showed yet another horror story! The rubber base of the oil filter had cracked and split! In this pic, I've compared it to a Mann Filter (who make the genuine BMW filter for the N52 motor) and you can see it is a completely different design!

With the new oil filter fitted, the engine is quiet as a mouse and the weird noise is now gone :)

Anyway - It's not all doom and gloom this week as I accidentally ordered these...
8.5J x 19" - ET38 and 9.5J x 19" - ET43
Along with some Goodyear Eagle F1 ASSY2's in 225/35/19 and 255/30/19

More pictures to come next week once the tyres arrive and I get them on the car.
Really can't wait to see them on the car and to experience life after runflats!

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:37 pm

I had a weird noise from my old n52 which was due to the oil filter. Mine was a BMW one though. From memory it was a whistle/whine.

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:27 am

srhutch wrote:I had a weird noise from my old n52 which was due to the oil filter. Mine was a BMW one though. From memory it was a whistle/whine.
Yeah, This was a bit of a whine, to be fair, I'd thrown away the idea that it could have been the oil filter as all the videos of people with the same kind of noise which were cured by a fresh oil filter were much much much worse and far louder than mine was. I did find on one of the forums at one point that someone did some digging with BMW in Germany and found that there was a faulty batch of oil filters produced around 2008-2009 (if my memory serves me well).

Just glad it's fixed it and massively glad I'd only covered such a small amount of mileage since first hearing the noise!

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:56 am

Hi,

Question re your mid box bypass pipes - what length were they? Are you still finding it acceptable to drive daily? I'm keen to get a bit more noise again but not backbox chop levels!

Cheers
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:09 pm

Ed Doe wrote:Question re your mid box bypass pipes - what length were they? Are you still finding it acceptable to drive daily? I'm keen to get a bit more noise again but not backbox chop levels!
From memory they were 450mm long each in total.

As to how liveable it is, I've not looked back! The sound at idle and when pottering around casually/gently is absolutely no different.

You only really hear a difference when you are giving the car a little "extra".
I would say confidently that there is absolutely no drone at all!