Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

nfbr's 2007 Ruby Black Z4 Coupé! Blog/Build-Thread

Post your Z4 pictures! See sticky post at the top for details of the photo competition.
nfbr

Post by nfbr » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:15 am

12 more hours till I find out first hand! :D

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:37 am

nfbr wrote:12 more hours till I find out first hand! :D

The suspense is killing me :lol:
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:38 am

Ed Doe wrote:The suspense is killing me :lol:
And me! I gotta get through a day's worth of work, then sit in a Diesel Bora in traffic for 2-hours before I finally get my motor back :(

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:10 am

nfbr wrote:
Ed Doe wrote:The suspense is killing me :lol:
And me! I gotta get through a day's worth of work, then sit in a Diesel Bora in traffic for 2-hours before I finally get my motor back :(
2 hours of traffic! Diesel Bora! :(
They not open Saturday mornings then?! :poke: :rofl:
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:31 am

MACK wrote:2 hours of traffic! Diesel Bora! :(
They don't open weekends at all. Engineering trade and all :)
and the other thing...
My car currently has a valid MOT...
From midnight tonight, my car won't have a valid MOT...

The MOT test is booked tomorrow morning :)

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:32 am

nfbr wrote:
MACK wrote:2 hours of traffic! Diesel Bora! :(
They don't open weekends at all. Engineering trade and all :)
and the other thing...
My car currently has a valid MOT...
From midnight tonight, my car won't have a valid MOT...

The MOT test is booked tomorrow morning :)
I guess that's what's referred to as "cutting it fine!"
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:34 am

MACK wrote:I guess that's what's referred to as "cutting it fine!"
Normally get my MOT's done 28 days in advance, but since there was a very slight split in my rear silencer, it seemed pointless to send it in to fail, what with my car going in for the exhaust development work at Scorpion.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:29 am

nfbr wrote:
MACK wrote:I guess that's what's referred to as "cutting it fine!"
Normally get my MOT's done 28 days in advance, but since there was a very slight split in my rear silencer, it seemed pointless to send it in to fail, what with my car going in for the exhaust development work at Scorpion.
I did wonder why you just didn't do it early, especially working where you do. Make sense now :thumbsup:
Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:31 am

MACK wrote:I did wonder why you just didn't do it early, especially working where you do. Make sense now :thumbsup:
If it wasn't for the issue with the Waterpump the other week, I'd have had the exhaust on the car, a fresh MOT and the car on the road for two weeks now.

Oh well :) Good job I'm patient.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:38 am

nfbr wrote:
MACK wrote:I did wonder why you just didn't do it early, especially working where you do. Make sense now :thumbsup:
If it wasn't for the issue with the Waterpump the other week, I'd have had the exhaust on the car, a fresh MOT and the car on the road for two weeks now.

Oh well :) Good job I'm patient.
Alls well that ends well! That said those water pumps certainly aren't what you would call cheap! But at least you spotted it in good time, as we all know, it could have been far far worse. :thumbsup:
Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:53 am

So.... just spent an hour catching up on this 21 pages of awesomeness thread... kudos to you fella for yuur time, energy and commitment to both the car and the documentation of this thread that will help out many si owners looking to make improvements to their motor... just brilliant mate :thumbsup:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:13 pm

mr.tourette wrote:So.... just spent an hour catching up on this 21 pages of awesomeness thread... kudos to you fella for yuur time, energy and commitment to both the car and the documentation of this thread that will help out many si owners looking to make improvements to their motor... just brilliant mate :thumbsup:
Ah Thanks for the kind words. I can be really meticulous with stuff like this.
You should see my "folder" of invoices, documentation and such... It's probably more in depth than this thread :) I even have the original sales brochure and price list from 2007 :D

Anyway - now that I've got my baby home after a wonderful drive back from Scorpion Exhausts:
a quick 'rev' video ;)

Probably best viewed in a separate browser window in HD for the best sound quality.

Hopefully I'll be able to get some drive away and drive-by videos soon, but the exhaust is really quite special!

The team at Scorpion Exhausts have done an absolutely wonderful job! From start to finish, in looking after me, keeping me informed and sending me some really great photography of the development stages.

As for the exhaust itself, I can still relax when chilling at motorway speeds at which point the exhaust note is quieter than the road noise. But give it a bit of throttle and put the engine under load and it absolutely sings! The rumble on over run is a nice touch too. The vehicle certainly hasn't lost any power, if anything it feels a little more responsive on the throttle and a bit more eager go than previously.

Over the moon doesn't even begin to explain how happy I am with it all!

guerra1976

Post by guerra1976 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:26 pm

Sounds Great :thumbsup:

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:45 pm

So a couple of wee updates for the coupé... Unfortunately without pictures as I forgot to charge my phone Friday night and also whilst working on Saturday, so when I finished work and got around to doing these jobs, I didn't have the cam available.

Firstly - Fitted the Ram Scoop (Thanks DanS) - I'm sure by now everyone knows what these look like. Was a little awkward to fit, but worked it out within 10 minutes.
Opinion on this: I can't feel, hear, smell, see or taste any difference whilst driving. But It looks effective and the basic science behind it makes some kind of sense.

Secondly, Removed the Kick Panels and the speakers in the driver and passenger footwell to apply a little sound deadening (Silent Coat 2mm).
To be fair, These areas are pretty solid already, but wanted to put a little extra in.
Then removed the door cards and added a pair of OE mid-range speakers to the system with a pair of 200hz 'bass blocker' capacitors to make sure they aren't taking any trying to reproduce any sounds they can't handle. Sound deadened the door card, and the door skin.

All fitted back and sounding good!

Next up, I have a pair of these to fit (original on the left)

I'll be fitting a pair of the OEM 'Hifi' Subwoofers and running them with an Alpine 4-channel amp alongside the OE front speakers
They won't be pushed hard, just enough to make a slight presence.

More pictures once I've made some more progress with that! :D
guerra1976 wrote:Sounds Great :thumbsup:
Thank you :D

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:33 pm

Whilst waiting on delivery of my amplifier, I got bored and ordered some treats for my Coupé :)

First up, a nice new E86 keyring from a German company on eBay...

Second up, a Refreshers Lemon air freshener, and a Carly for BMW Wifi OBD adapter and full iOS App for a bit of coding!

I thought I'd take some screenshots for anyone who hasn't seen this app before...
First up, the main screen when connected:
I was very pleased to see no fault codes found :)

Here are the 2x Modules available for coding

In the Light switch centre, I coded in the indicators to blink three times. As I had this functionality in my last three VAG cars, it has taken me a while to get used to not having this, so getting it back is a very welcome thing!
I also enabled the Auto locking on Ignition. I did try it using the speed linked control, but it simply doesn't work. Possibly due to the E85/86 only just being added to this app for coding. Hopefully a future release will fix that.

As always, thanks for reading :) more updates soon!