Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

nfbr's 2007 Ruby Black Z4 Coupé! Blog/Build-Thread

Post your Z4 pictures! See sticky post at the top for details of the photo competition.
nfbr

Re: My 2007 Ruby Black Z4 Coupé! Diary/Blog/Build Thread

Post by nfbr » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:09 pm

Given my findings last week when installing the K&N Panel filter (to revisit, the 75,000 mile / 7 year old car with a full BMW service history) the original air filter had never been changed. I couldn't sleep Sunday night thinking about whether the plugs had ever been done either, so Mondays first job was to get on the phone to my NGK Supplier and get a set of NGK (1208) ILZFR6D-11 Iridium Spark plugs ordered up. After being told £12.79 per plug, I decided to have a quick scan on eBay and came across a listing at £39.99 for a set of 6 brand new boxed plugs where a guy had bought some new - and never got around to fitting them to his car - Happy days! :D

So the first part of the job is to whip off the engine cover - Dead easy, just lift at each of the four corners.

I made sure to spray a bit of silicon spray grease on the rubbers when the cover was off to make it easier to get back on.

It took me a minute to figure out the coilpacks being used to VAG cars... I used a flat screwdriver to pop the clips upwards

Then disconnected the plugs by pulling the top clip to a vertical position

Using the holes in the top clips, a firm tug and the coilpacks come out!

Once the coilpacks are out, it's then simply a case of using a ratchet, extension and spark plug socket to undo the plugs
*At this point I've got to thank my colleague John for letting me use his tools*

The plugs have a very long thread on them, so take a while to wind out. Ideally once you've cracked them off with the ratchet, wind them out by hand.

A comparison of the original and replacement plugs - The originals were a bit black, but showed a nice clean burn - a nice golden brown at the tip.

The re-installation is the reverse of removal. When installing your new plugs, I recommend turning them anti-clockwise until you hear then 'click' into the thread, then gently wind them in by hand. If at this point they feel overly tight, stop what you are doing and consult a technician/mechanic/engineer to make sure it's right! You do not want to strip any thread in your cylinder head.
Ideally spray a little silicone spray lube on the inside of the coilpacks before re-installing them, give the coilpacks a good firm push once sat square on your plugs, then clip the wiring back in.
Pop the engine cover back on and you are done!

Once you are sure the engine bay is free of any tools you might have left hanging around, fire her up and make sure she runs smoothly!
If for any reason the car starts misfiring or spluttering, turn it off straight away and double check the coilpacks are: A- Pushed down properly, B- Connected properly.

I hope this 'build thread update' / 'guide' is usefull to a few people out there :)

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:33 pm

Good info....

Why do you think HID lighting is frowned upon ?

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:40 pm

Z4M-2006 wrote:Good info....

Why do you think HID lighting is frowned upon ?
Running the forum search for 'HID' 'Xenon' and 'HID Kit' seems to bring back plenty of posts of people saying they are crap, will cause a fire, are useless and make no difference.
So probably best I keep my opinions on them to myself ;) Too many conflicting thoughts/ideas out there (especially from those with no experience! - which is my pet hate).

Anyway...

For Job number three this weekend, I've set about getting rid of the 3.0si badges from the side and the Z4 badge from the rear hatch :)

Firstly - I washed the area where the badge was to get as much dirt off the paint as possible

The next task was to remove the badges themselves - I did this using dental floss as a cheesewire with a gentle sawing motion to cut through the adhesive.
I'd recommend not to pull the badge at any point as you could scratch or even dent your bodywork with the sharp edges of the plastic badge.

You'll be left with this mess...

Try to peal as much of it as you can by hand, just be carefull with your fingernails on the paint

I then removed the glue using 'Tardis' which is a valeting industry glue and tar remover
*Thanks go to my valeting colleague 'Jimmy the Hoover' for the loan of this stuff!*
Once all the glue was gone, I gave the car a couple of coats of Autoglym Paint renovator and a coat of Super Resin Polish.

The same treatment for the rear, A quick wash to begin.

A quick shot with the bulk of the adhesive gone

All polished up nicely!

And finally a photo of the car :)

Next week: Eibach Springs! Then Spacers when my wheel bolts arrive, Oh - and possibly Diff oil if that ever lands from America...
Man I love this car! :D

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:02 pm

You keeping the standard wheels?

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RickRob » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:08 pm

Useful tip with the dental floss. Just noticed that one of my ///M badges is chipped and wondered how to remove it. Now I know.

Thanks!
:thumbsup:
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:19 pm

Z4M-2006 wrote:You keeping the standard wheels?
For the time being yes, I'm looking to keep it OEM Plus for a while. As common as they are, I really like the Style 135.
May eventually get some 19"s though along the lines of the BBS CH (genuine of course), or the VMR V710.
RickRob wrote:Useful tip with the dental floss. Just noticed that one of my ///M badges is chipped and wondered how to remove it. Now I know.

Thanks!
:thumbsup:
No worries at all! I'm really happy to have helped someone :)

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:08 pm

I put some BBS CH (albeit reps) on my roady when i had it..

I like em..

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:36 pm

I had genuine CHs on my Bora :) loved them!

And VW/BBS OEM CHs on the Jetta

They have a nice design, really nice paint finish, they aren't heavy and they are strong like bull!!
What's not to like... Oh yeah, the price tag.

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:38 pm

Some quick photos of the car after a wash today :)

A moody rear shot...

It's come up OK really :) A proper good polish and sealant next week I think

And a nice shot from above!

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:48 pm

Such a good looking car.... :thumbsup:

Darren Slone
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Darren Slone » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:00 pm

I've really enjoyed looking through this thread, your Z looks ace and I'm in awe of your hands on approach, spot on :thumbsup:

Current Porsche Cayman S 987.1

Now sold - Imola Z4MC

Now sold - Silver Grey Z4MC
OEM CSL’s, Supersprint, Gruppe M, Eibachs, Carbon Roof, carbon rear spoiler,,

Now sold - My other Z
‘71 Datsun 240Z imported from West Coast USA

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:17 pm

Z4M-2006 wrote:Such a good looking car.... :thumbsup:
Cheers!
Darren Slone wrote:I've really enjoyed looking through this thread, your Z looks ace and I'm in awe of your hands on approach, spot on :thumbsup:
Thanks Darren! Nice to see my excessive number of photos being appreciated!
There'll be more jobs following on and more to read soon!

John002

Post by John002 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:45 pm

Interested to see what it looks like on Eibach springs with spacers. I have a sapphire black coupe with the same wheels and wish to do the same in the summer.

I debadged mine with dental floss also ha. Tip for anyone else if you spray WD40 on them before hand it comes off the paint very easy with no harm done. Quick clean and polish needed afterwards.

Have noticed two great looking black coupes on here recently. I fear by the summer we may have three identical cars.

Funny I also know a valeting guy his name is " Dave the hose " :roll:

Weird..

Keep posting pics :)
3.0si Sapphire Black Coupe

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:16 pm

Nice! I'm looking forward to finding a black sapphire one to park next to so I can see the difference in colour!

Springs and spacers should land Monday, probably get them on the car Tuesday or Wednesday evening after work.
I'm gonna hold off on fitting the spacers until a later date. I was being awkward and demanded black bolts when we only stock chrome ones at work, so have to wait for the next stock order for them. :roll:

I've heard that about wd40 but never tried it myself. Good shout!

I can't believe I've posted over 100 photos in this thread now. Must be a pain for people with slow internet.

We call the valeting guy Jetwash Jimmy sometimes! Haha.

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:25 pm

Normally - I don't like Mondays... But today has been a good day :)

A delivery has arrived!!!

A set of Eibach E10-20-010-05-22 Pro-Kit Springs!

and some of the brand new black anodized finish Eibach hub-centric wheel spacers! (12mm Front, 15mm Rear)

The springs should be going on one evening this week. The spacers are likely to be next week once the bolts arrive!
Can't bloomin' wait!