Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My Winter Project - That got out of Hand!

Post your Z4 pictures! See sticky post at the top for details of the photo competition.
john-z4

My Winter Project - That got out of Hand!

Post by john-z4 » Sun May 03, 2015 9:30 pm

Following the meet today a Duxford, was asked to upload some photo's of my Zed. The car was originally silver and whilst off the road over winter, thought I'd get rid of the stone chips & tidy it up a bit. Big mistake, as didn't know when to stop! The first pic shows how it used to look. The rest are what happened over winter, whilst it was in the garage. Think the pictures say it all. Cheers.
16.JPG
16.JPG (168.37 KiB) Viewed 3789 times
21.JPG
21.JPG (165.52 KiB) Viewed 3789 times
17.JPG
17.JPG (163.43 KiB) Viewed 3789 times
26.JPG
26.JPG (139.79 KiB) Viewed 3789 times
28.JPG
28.JPG (150.51 KiB) Viewed 3789 times
49.JPG
49.JPG (188.26 KiB) Viewed 3789 times
57.JPG
57.JPG (166.94 KiB) Viewed 3789 times
59.JPG
59.JPG (315.55 KiB) Viewed 3789 times
71.JPG
71.JPG (248.75 KiB) Viewed 3789 times
78.JPG
78.JPG (173.96 KiB) Viewed 3789 times
Last edited by john-z4 on Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2.5i Roadster, Pearl Sunburst Orange, Angel Eyes, M Bumper, M steering wheel, 19" AVA Memphis alloys, Eibachs , 3.0i Brakes, Orange Calipers, Quad exhaust, Custom rear bumper, Rx8 seats, Facelift rear lights, + More. All mods homemade.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Re: My Winter Project - That got out of Hand!

Post by mr wilks » Sun May 03, 2015 9:44 pm

That is seriously WoW mate :o looks stunning , the narrower twin pipes look killer & the colour with the black is also a winner for me
Are they Mazda seats ? Whatever they look supreme
Top effort :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

2dogs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 2dogs » Sun May 03, 2015 9:50 pm

Omg, only talk today about what a Z would look with m3 style pipes and their it is :o looks spot on.
Top job on the Z love the colour 8)
Blue Z4MC - now gone

Bradders75

Post by Bradders75 » Sun May 03, 2015 9:53 pm

Wow, that looks absolutely superb. 8) What colour is it? Some serious skills shown in taking that on DIY, assuming you're not a pro sprayer?!
2003 Z4 3.0i SE | nav / cruise / PDC / bluetooth / ellipsoids / xenons / clear indicators / m-sport seats / m-sport MFSW / ZHP / intravee |

2014 F56 MINI Cooper S | for bends |

2016 F20 M135i | for straights |

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Sun May 03, 2015 9:57 pm

Lovely job - I love seeing the E85 in non-factory colours :thumbsup:

And those Rx8 seats look like they're very comfortable - how do they compare to stock?
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Sun May 03, 2015 10:04 pm

Looks great and a seriously good effort. Did you consider leaving the front bumper transverse bar black? That might work well with your colour scheme.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

john-z4

Post by john-z4 » Sun May 03, 2015 10:06 pm

Thanks for the comments, to answer the Q's: Yeah, they're Mazda RX8 seats, backs painted to match car, also I've re-done the stitching on the seats/handbrake & gear lever gators & door panels in orange. I did put a pic of the seats, but for some reason it didn't come up with the rest of them.

I thought about doing the M3 style exhaust over a year ago, only just got round to doing it. It does look different.

I'm not a painter by trade, but the guys at Duxford who saw it said it looked good. Amazing what you can do with an £18 spray gun off EBay.

I'm coming to the National meet, so hopefully it'll be polished a bit better by then.
2.5i Roadster, Pearl Sunburst Orange, Angel Eyes, M Bumper, M steering wheel, 19" AVA Memphis alloys, Eibachs , 3.0i Brakes, Orange Calipers, Quad exhaust, Custom rear bumper, Rx8 seats, Facelift rear lights, + More. All mods homemade.

john-z4

Post by john-z4 » Sun May 03, 2015 10:08 pm

PerryGunn wrote:Lovely job - I love seeing the E85 in non-factory colours :thumbsup:

And those Rx8 seats look like they're very comfortable - how do they compare to stock?
Yeah, the seats are comfy. Only had standard seats, not sport, but they do hold you in better than the standard ones.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun May 03, 2015 10:10 pm

BMWZ4MC wrote:Looks great and a seriously good effort. Did you consider leaving the front bumper transverse bar black? That might work well with your colour scheme.
it is a seriously good effort & a +1 on the black bumper bar :thumbsup: it was 2nd on my "to do" list after repainting my grills & gives a more aggresive , fresher look imo :?
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

john-z4

Post by john-z4 » Sun May 03, 2015 10:16 pm

BMWZ4MC wrote:Looks great and a seriously good effort. Did you consider leaving the front bumper transverse bar black? That might work well with your colour scheme.
Yeah, know what you mean. Did consider leaving the centre bar black, but at the minute its done to match the car. I have taken a fibre-glass mould of the bumper cut-outs for the exhaust, was thinking about making some sort of diffuser and doing this in black, and then the front bar back in black. The current look was only quickly done as an experiment, but its growing on me. I've also got black mirror casings and was going to black out the windscreen pillars, but I think it looks quite nice as it is at the minute. Things might change with it in future.

john-z4

Post by john-z4 » Sun May 03, 2015 10:18 pm

mr wilks wrote:
it is a seriously good effort & a +1 on the black bumper bar :thumbsup: it was 2nd on my "to do" list after repainting my grills & gives a more aggresive , fresher look imo :?
Hi Mr Wilks. See comment above. May happen in the future......

jimbo1958
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jimbo1958 » Sun May 03, 2015 10:18 pm

Seen this in the flesh today and it's a beaut.
Superb attention to detail including the custom cutouts in the rear bumper with all the work carried out by John.
If you Zoom in on the interior pic you'll see that all the stitching to the interior components have all been redone in Orange, again all done by John.
Also the back of the RX8 seats have been sprayed to match the body.
This truly is a one off Zed that has been built, not bought and the workmanship is a credit to you John.
It was great meeting up with you and the wife again today John and look forward to seeing you both at the National. :thumbsup:
Z4 e85 3.0 - GONE
Z4 e89 35i - GONE
Jaguar F Type V6s Roadster :driving:
Abarth 695 Rivale :driving:

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sun May 03, 2015 10:21 pm

That looks fantastic, I love that colour :thumbsup:

Got me thinking about the bottom of my front bumper now though... Thanks guys :roll:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

john-z4

Post by john-z4 » Sun May 03, 2015 10:22 pm

jimbo1958 wrote:Seen this in the flesh today and it's a beaut.
Superb attention to detail including the custom cutouts in the rear bumper with all the work carried out by John.
If you Zoom in on the interior pic you'll see that all the stitching to the interior components have all been redone in Orange, again all done by John.
Also the back of the RX8 seats have been sprayed to match the body.
This truly is a one off Zed that has been built, not bought and the workmanship is a credit to you John.
It was great meeting up with you and the wife again today John and look forward to seeing you both at the National. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the comments Jimbo.
I did try putting pics of the interior, but they didn't come out for some reason. I'll trying putting some more pics on. I'm better with cars than computers!
If we don't see you anywhere before, see you at the National.

john-z4

Post by john-z4 » Sun May 03, 2015 10:24 pm

Bing wrote:That looks fantastic, I love that colour :thumbsup:

Got me thinking about the bottom of my front bumper now though... Thanks guys :roll:
Hi Bing. Thanks for the comment. Have the bottom of your bumper wrapped? I think SammyZ (?) has his wrapped.