Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My Z4C Journey

Post your Z4 pictures! See sticky post at the top for details of the photo competition.
idej_z4

My Z4C Journey

Post by idej_z4 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:16 pm

Saw this done by somebody else and thought what a great idea!

I'm always making little (and sometimes large) mods to my car so I'm going to share them on this forum. People might not be that interested, but it'll be good to look back in a few years time and see all the work that has gone into my Z4C - plus its a good way to show pics! I might also use this thread to discuss / show some of the detailing stuff I've been doing as I'm always trying new products and techniques.

So, very quickly, a little bit of background...57 plate Z4C 3.0Si - bought with 26k miles on the clock, I wanted a low milage one as I plan to have this car for a good few years. Paid just over £14k and its my first Z, but not my first BWW (previously owned a 120D M-Sport Coupe).

Got the full spec (I think) apart from the CD multi changer. I wanted the silver / grey colour as it when I first saw it, it reminded me of a James Bond car.

This first post will be a bit of a long one as I've had the car 7 months and already been busy!

Here is my Z the day I bought it...

First mod done as soon as I got it home - de-badged:

After that it was onto the grilles. On my old BMW I went full black but this time opted for the black with the silver trim as it compliments the wheels. I also got my private plate added and whipped off the whippy:

Next I went onto the wheels and tyres - I had to get rid of those damn run-flats. 19" Riva DTM's in Atomic Silver. Its a bit common to have CSL reps on a Z4 but if something works then why change it. Plus I think they look stunning. Since joining this forum I've learnt a lot about tyre sizes and regret getting the Falken 235s on the front as I'm getting a bit or arch rub. I probably wouldn't have got such low profile (30 & 35) had I known what I know now. I also painted my calipers before I put the new wheels on (don't have any pics but they're now dark silver).

I then found some polished chrome radio buttons that allowed me to get rid of the scuffed rubber ones - I'm a stickler for not having a single mark on my car so the radio buttons really annoyed me:

Then it was the full window tint...I've even done the front ones and made them a little darker that the legal limit so running the risk of having to remove them...but 4 months in and nothing so far:

Lowered on Eibach's was next - my birthday present from Mrs J. I noticed the handling difference immediately when slinging it around corners, plus it looks sweeeeeeeet:

Started on the badges next. Found a supplier in this country that did the pre-cut vinyls for the BMW logo. Last time I did these on my old BMW I ordered them from America and it cost a fortune:

Should have done this on day one, but next I removed the sound generator foam.

The tatty steering wheel trim was really grinding my goat. I was going to plasti-dip the old ones but then found a wheel on eBay with some on that were in great condition. What I didn't realise was that the M wheel is different shape at the bottom and had to do some modifications to get them to fit - managed to do it though without removing the wheel and airbag...although it was a really pain staking job:

Full wheel alignment done next - probably the best £40 I've spent. Stopped about 90% of the tracking issues I'd had since day one:

I then bought a Long Life Stainless Steel back box from a member on this forum. It looks and sounds fantastic but it was a nightmare trying to get the clips to fasten it on. I also bought a new drivers side cupholder from the same guy and replaced the broken one in mine.

Finally I recently wrapped my door handles in carbon fibre vinyl. I tried to do the dash and centre console but it was a much bigger job than I thought. I'm going to have another crack at it when I get the time.

Thats where I up to so far. I'll do a better write up for each mod as and when I do them going forward.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

My Z4C Journey

Post by mr wilks » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:27 pm

All to the good there mate :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Dale_B

My Z4C Journey

Post by Dale_B » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:37 pm

Good write up. Nice mods you have carried out 8)
CSL's on a coupe do look great!

LewisB

My Z4C Journey

Post by LewisB » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:48 pm

The CSL's and tinted windows look great!
Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe - Ruby Black - Champagne Nappa leather - my weekend drive......

philip27

My Z4C Journey

Post by philip27 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:02 pm

That's one fine looking Z4 you have :thumbsup:
Went to the dark side Porsche Cayman 987s
Crimson Red E89 23i - :(
Maldives Blue E85 2.5i - Sold :(

buzyg
Legend
Legend

My Z4C Journey

Post by buzyg » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:08 pm

Good work. Looking very 8) :thumbsup: Apart from the stumpy Ae. :poke:

idej_z4

My Z4C Journey

Post by idej_z4 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:28 pm

buzyg wrote:Good work. Looking very 8) :thumbsup: Apart from the stumpy Ae. :poke:
It helps with streamlining for minimum drag...not just because it looks better! :evil:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

My Z4C Journey

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:52 pm

Nice mods OP. :thumbsup:

Especially the CSL reps - they just look so good on a Coupe!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

My Z4C Journey

Post by patriot66 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:52 pm

Your car looked really smart and well presented up at Scartop last week. Very tasty motor ! :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

indeep75

My Z4C Journey

Post by indeep75 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:25 pm

Excellent write up and some great little mods so far. Keep it coming...
Z4M Coupe Silver-Grey / Light Sepang Leather Extended / Piano Black
Gone: Z4M Coupe Silver-Grey / Imola Red / CSLs
Gone: Space Grey E89 28i

https://www.instagram.com/indeep75_

stevo///m3

My Z4C Journey

Post by stevo///m3 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:42 pm

buzyg wrote:Good work. Looking very 8) :thumbsup: Apart from the stumpy Ae. :poke:
Thank god. At least it wasn't a roof-related comment... :headbang:
Stevo
SOLD - '07 MCoupe-Sapphire Metallic-Imola leather-piano black
Previous: E36 Evo Vert
Current: ocean-going G31 estate
Insta: stevothecrab

idej_z4

My Z4C Journey

Post by idej_z4 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:35 pm

Made a couple of small updates today. Replaced all the internal bulbs with some white light LED ones - it took three different types of bulbs to replace them all. Looks loads better now:

And because I got the new lights, I had to add some silver racing pedals. £30 from eBay. Easy to install..apart from the bottom bolts on the accelerator pedal. Had to glue them on eventually:

idej_z4

My Z4C Journey

Post by idej_z4 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:35 pm

Finally got my hands on some B Pillar Trims thanks to the forum member Rassi. They've come all the way from Belgium.

Unfortunately they're too light for my Z (which I knew before I bought them) so I'm going to try and dye them...wish me luck!

Here is the before shot:
IMG_2994.JPG
IMG_2994.JPG (71.7 KiB) Viewed 3291 times

bmwaddict

My Z4C Journey

Post by bmwaddict » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:21 pm

I like the mods you've done, car is looking good!
Can I ask the csl reps spec? Offset etc
Currently zedless :(

'07 Mugello Blue Audi B7 RS4 Saloon with added goodies
'94 Black/Silver/Green Honda CBR400RR
Previous:
'07 Ruby Black Z4MC
'07 Sapphire Black Z4C 3.0si Sport

srhutch

My Z4C Journey

Post by srhutch » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:47 pm

idej_jedi wrote:Finally got my hands on some B Pillar Trims thanks to the forum member Rassi. They've come all the way from Belgium.

Unfortunately they're too light for my Z (which I knew before I bought them) so I'm going to try and dye them...wish me luck!

Here is the before shot:

IMG_2994.JPG
Are you going to use spray fabric dye?