Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Help me decide - Job done . . .

Post your Z4 pictures! See sticky post at the top for details of the photo competition.

Pillar colour

Leave Red
26%
Wrap Black
74%

Total votes: 101

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Help me decide . . .

Post by paddy wright » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:58 pm

Thought I'd havre the black- until I saw the photos. It really adds to the look you are going for! :thumbsup:
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

Stuartt

Help me decide . . .

Post by Stuartt » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:06 pm

Like the black on red as I have always said Colin, and like others have said I think you should also do the mirrors :thumbsup:

Stuart
2004 3.0i SE Roadster , GONE to a good home :thumbsup:
2010 e89 35i Sdrive M sport. GONE for salvage :cry: but has been reborn

2014 e89 35is M-Sport Design Pure Traction 😈😈😈

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Help me decide . . .

Post by Marlon » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:02 pm

markeg wrote:A while back I pasti-dipped the wing mirrors black (easier than wrapping) - may be a easier option for the door pillars as well, and simple to remove if you change your mind, Marlon?
Hadn't considered plasti-dip, would I spray it straight on to the pillar? Does it peel off to revert back?
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

Help me decide . . .

Post by paulgs1000 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:06 pm

Plenty of Youtube videos showing how Marlon - looks the easiest way to try black. . .
Now Porsche flat 6 experience, 986S & 981S.
2006 Z4MR Imola Red/Imola Red, 2008 3.0si Sport Stratus Grey/Piano black, 2006 2.0I Sport Silver Grey Facelift. MX5, TVR Chimaera, many motorbikes.

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Help me decide . . .

Post by markeg » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:53 pm

Marlon wrote:
markeg wrote:A while back I pasti-dipped the wing mirrors black (easier than wrapping) - may be a easier option for the door pillars as well, and simple to remove if you change your mind, Marlon?
Hadn't considered plasti-dip, would I spray it straight on to the pillar? Does it peel off to revert back?
Yep, dead easy. Make sure your pillars are clean (I also waxed the wing mirrors for easier peeling afterwards), mask up and then just spray on. Lots of thin coats is best :thumbsup:

Can withstand hose and gentle washing, but a pressure washer will lift the pasti-dip.
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Help me decide . . .

Post by Chris_D » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:06 pm

Seriously, colin, option for whole car wrap in black is missing. Dafeq is that about???
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Help me decide . . .

Post by Marlon » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:05 pm

markeg wrote:
Marlon wrote:
Yep, dead easy. Make sure your pillars are clean (I also waxed the wing mirrors for easier peeling afterwards), mask up and then just spray on. Lots of thin coats is best :thumbsup:

Can withstand hose and gentle washing, but a pressure washer will lift the pasti-dip.
Thanks mate - sounds like the way to go :thumbsup: Is plasti-dip the same as Plastikote?
911 997 Carrera S

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Help me decide . . .

Post by markeg » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:12 pm

Nope, different stuff than plastikote. I use a version of pastidip from Frost (link) - same stuff but a lot cheaper. Link is for one aerosol...
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

idej_z4

Help me decide . . .

Post by idej_z4 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:05 pm

Love the black, especially with the hard top - makes it look like a coupe. :wink:

Also... not sure if you've noticed, but even though it's an E89 the graphic for the forum is red with black pillars. :)
Last edited by idej_z4 on Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LordOxygen

Help me decide . . .

Post by LordOxygen » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:41 pm

Black all day long. Defo worth trying Plastidip along with some of their glossifier if you want it to better match your roof.

Silverzedtom

Help me decide . . .

Post by Silverzedtom » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:15 am

Another for black here. Looks great with the lid on and with it off too. if you go down the wrap route then it's a little bit of stone protection too :) , I had a vile stone chip on my old cars pillar and it never looked right even after a touch up. I have to admit I'd probably try plastidip as it sounds so easy to apply and revert back to oem.
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

Highlander

Help me decide . . .

Post by Highlander » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:28 am

I'm voting black A pillars,door mirrors and roll hoop covers.
On my E89 the pillars were already gloss black so I opted for matching roof sections and door mirrors as the pillars stood out (glaringly IMO)........roll hoop covers were the only "silver" bits visible in the cabin and also stood out a bit....and not in a good way(looked like the cheap plastic that they are)
The only guy I got a quote from for wrapping the roof said there would probably be some white paint showing around rear window recess so I opted for paint and rear window out for this.Think I'd give it a go yourself to be happy with the end result rather than pay to have it wrapped and still have red showing by the windscreen/door.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Help me decide . . .

Post by Marlon » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:37 am

Thanks everyone :)
At time of posting its a landslide 78% for black so I'm going for it.

Going to use Plasti Dip (possibly with a final coat of 'glossifier')
Just need to order the paint and wait for a dry still day.

I'll post back when its done,

Cheers,
Marlon :thumbsup:
Last edited by Marlon on Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
911 997 Carrera S

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Help me decide . . .

Post by patriot66 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:33 pm

Marlon wrote:Thanks everyone :)
At time of posting its a landslide 74% for black so I'm going for it.

Going to use Plasti Dip (possibly with a final coat of 'glossifier')
Just need to order the paint and wait for a dry still day.

I'll post back when its done,

Cheers,
Marlon :thumbsup:
Hi Colin. Don't bother with the Glossifier. I have tried it on my grilles over black Plastidip and it marks/scratches up far too easily as it is very soft. :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Help me decide . . .

Post by RickRob » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:55 pm

Go black. I too would like see the mirrors in black as well. Then keep going until it's all black! :lol:
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)