Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Engine room

Post your Z4 pictures! See sticky post at the top for details of the photo competition.
Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Engine room

Post by Smartbear » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:51 pm

Bit of tlc under the bonnet, cleaning some general road grime/dust away
IMAG4966.jpg
IMAG4966.jpg (258.29 KiB) Viewed 1561 times
IMAG4967.jpg
IMAG4967.jpg (93.46 KiB) Viewed 1561 times
IMAG4964.jpg
IMAG4964.jpg (195.38 KiB) Viewed 1561 times

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Engine room

Post by buzyg » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:59 pm

Fine work Smart Bear. :thumbsup: Plenty of room in there to get in and clean. :wink:

Deddi

Engine room

Post by Deddi » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:16 pm

I've got an E85 so haven't seen the bonnet open on an E89 before. Interesting design the way the wing and bonnet meet. If you needed a new wing it would be an unusual shape! Love the E89, wish I could justify getting one to my other half...
Mineral grey E89 2.0M sport 2015

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Engine room

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:36 pm

Looks really clean Smart Bear - nice job. :thumbsup:

But I'm sure there are one or two things missing in there?

Got it, 2 cylinders. :wink:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Stuartt

Engine room

Post by Stuartt » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:25 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: ↑Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:36 pm
But I'm sure there are one or two things missing in there?

Got it, 2 cylinders. :wink:

To be fair to the lack of cylinders debate Mr Bears more than made up for it with a bit of electronic fettling, when he took me for a blast in it not so long ago I was suitably impressed with the little beast.

Also on the topic of 4 cylinders over 6, I had a rather rapid trip in a Porsche 718 at the weekend and that was certainly no slouch I can tell you, I even had a little search online to see if it was an affordable option but alas it was a little out of my budget for a weekend car :rofl:

Stuart
2004 3.0i SE Roadster , GONE to a good home :thumbsup:
2010 e89 35i Sdrive M sport. GONE for salvage :cry: but has been reborn

2014 e89 35is M-Sport Design Pure Traction 😈😈😈

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Engine room

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:44 pm

Stuartt wrote: ↑Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:25 pmTo be fair to the lack of cylinders debate Mr Bears more than made up for it with a bit of electronic fettling, when he took me for a blast in it not so long ago I was suitably impressed with the little beast.

Also on the topic of 4 cylinders over 6, I had a rather rapid trip in a Porsche 718 at the weekend and that was certainly no slouch I can tell you, I even had a little search online to see if it was an affordable option but alas it was a little out of my budget for a weekend car

Stuart
It's only meant as a bit of light-hearted banter though! :wink:

A bit like the whippy/stubby and Roadster/Coupe debates - there is no wrong answer! :lol:

But I still couldn't see my considering a 4 cylinder Boxster or Cayman however quick it may be. That would be like buying the Ecotec Mustang - just wrong!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Stuartt

Engine room

Post by Stuartt » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:55 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: ↑Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:44 pm
Stuartt wrote: ↑Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:25 pmTo be fair to the lack of cylinders debate Mr Bears more than made up for it with a bit of electronic fettling, when he took me for a blast in it not so long ago I was suitably impressed with the little beast.

Also on the topic of 4 cylinders over 6, I had a rather rapid trip in a Porsche 718 at the weekend and that was certainly no slouch I can tell you, I even had a little search online to see if it was an affordable option but alas it was a little out of my budget for a weekend car

Stuart
It's only meant as a bit of light-hearted banter though! :wink:

A bit like the whippy/stubby and Roadster/Coupe debates - there is no wrong answer! :lol:

But I still couldn't see my considering a 4 cylinder Boxster or Cayman however quick it may be. That would be like buying the Ecotec Mustang - just wrong!
Oh believe my I was one of the first to poke fun at Mr Bears missing cylinders and still do whenever I see him, all I'm saying is how surprised I was at what a 4 pot can achieve with the right adjustments, and that I wouldn't personally rule it out having experienced it.

Stuart
2004 3.0i SE Roadster , GONE to a good home :thumbsup:
2010 e89 35i Sdrive M sport. GONE for salvage :cry: but has been reborn

2014 e89 35is M-Sport Design Pure Traction 😈😈😈

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Engine room

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:26 pm

Stuartt wrote: ↑Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:55 pmOh believe my I was one of the first to poke fun at Mr Bears missing cylinders and still do whenever I see him, all I'm saying is how surprised I was at what a 4 pot can achieve with the right adjustments, and that I wouldn't personally rule it out having experienced it.

Stuart
Apologies to the OP for getting slightly off-topic! :oops:

While I appreciate what can be achieved with forced induction engines (I had a Leon Cupra back in 2003) especially with some mapping, once they hit peak power it all drops away pretty quickly compared to N/A engines that keep pulling to the red-line!

And I just prefer the exhaust note of a 6! So much so that after getting my first Z4 I got an E46 325ti Sport as a daily - probably similar performance to my Leon Cupra but I much prefer how the E46 delivers it (OK, and it's also RWD). :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black