Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

The September 2017 Photo Competition – COMMENTS

Post your Z4 pictures! See sticky post at the top for details of the photo competition.
Pastry

Post by Pastry » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:40 pm

Number5 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:33 pm
srhutch wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:26 pm I really should enter one this month as it was my suggestion to do something different, but as rally is going to win, not sure I'll bother.

Cracking shot :thumbsup:
Rally, take it down and then slip it back in on the last day, otherwise it's going to be a one vote option this month !! :P
I'm sure I've got another snowing picture I could enter :roll:
991 Carrera 2S
Now gone:
2008 Z4MR Midnight Blue Metallic
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Ruby Black
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Titanium Silver
2010 Z4 23i Msport and a 3.0i

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:56 pm

The comments thread is seeing more action than the photo thread :D
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:32 pm

Boris wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:11 pm
mr wilks wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:38 pm
Boris wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:37 pm lol nearly pissed myself laughing there.

I'm afraid none of the photoshopped ones would get my vote, I'm a bit old fashioned there, any image I produce is as it comes out of the camera, I don't mind the odd filter (I use a polarising filter quite a lot myself) but what's the point of changing your image to resemble something completely different I just don't understand the logic, yes it might make it look "better" but its not an image you took, any competition should be photoshop free in my opinion. :fuelfire:

Still waiting for your entry :fingertap: :coffee: :oldman:

What's the point I don't photoshop :(
The point is you may gain some credibility to your sniping if you actually backed it up with a flawless picture straight from your own lense :?
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Boris

Post by Boris » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:54 pm

mr wilks wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:32 pm
mr wilks wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:38 pm

Still waiting for your entry :fingertap: :coffee: :oldman:

The point is you may gain some credibility to your sniping if you actually backed it up with a flawless picture straight from your own lense :?
I'm most apologetic if I came across as sniping Mr Wilks that wasn't my intention at all.

We can post as many smilies etc as we want and things still don't come across on a forum as they might face to face unfortunately.

I'm aware I'm a "new boy" and haven't met anyone face to face on the forum so I'm aware I could come across a little "keyboard warrior" type, but that isn't my intention I assure you.

However I cant change my opinion re the first pic, in my opinion it does look like a render, (and my son does this as a job for people like Disney and Warner Bros so I've seen plenty of them) but as the OP has said its not a render so fine I accept that, I'm not here to call anyone a liar but it doesn't change the fact it has been manipulated and I personally don't agree with "photography comps" accepting manipulated images, this is something for the forum to decide however not me and as long as its acceptable clearly people will offer up manipulated pics.

To be honest when I read the rules originally I could have sworn it said NO manipulated images allowed, but obviously I must have read it wrong.

Regarding my own flawless images, that's the whole point, I've yet to see an original flawless image unless its been manipulated; I'm far from a professional good god even not even proficient in-fact probably a bungling amature, but I take great pleasure in taking a pic that I can look at and say ah! actually that's quite good and I do surprise myself sometimes :)

However to set out to take a good natural "un-set up" pic to include the Z4 is very difficult, most good pics are actually taken because all the conditions have fallen just right and someone has taken advantage of that fact, so if that ever happens you shall be the first to see the pic of the Z4.

idej_z4

Post by idej_z4 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:14 pm

Boris wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:54 pm

I'm most apologetic if I came across as sniping Mr Wilks that wasn't my intention at all.

We can post as many smilies etc as we want and things still don't come across on a forum as they might face to face unfortunately.

I'm aware I'm a "new boy" and haven't met anyone face to face on the forum so I'm aware I could come across a little "keyboard warrior" type, but that isn't my intention I assure you.

However I cant change my opinion re the first pic, in my opinion it does look like a render, (and my son does this as a job for people like Disney and Warner Bros so I've seen plenty of them) but as the OP has said its not a render so fine I accept that, I'm not here to call anyone a liar but it doesn't change the fact it has been manipulated and I personally don't agree with "photography comps" accepting manipulated images, this is something for the forum to decide however not me and as long as its acceptable clearly people will offer up manipulated pics.

To be honest when I read the rules originally I could have sworn it said NO manipulated images allowed, but obviously I must have read it wrong.

Regarding my own flawless images, that's the whole point, I've yet to see an original flawless image unless its been manipulated; I'm far from a professional good god even not even proficient in-fact probably a bungling amature, but I take great pleasure in taking a pic that I can look at and say ah! actually that's quite good and I do surprise myself sometimes :)

However to set out to take a good natural "un-set up" pic to include the Z4 is very difficult, most good pics are actually taken because all the conditions have fallen just right and someone has taken advantage of that fact, so if that ever happens you shall be the first to see the pic of the Z4.
:attentionwhore: :soapbox: :surrender: :rofl:

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:18 pm

First let me say “photoshopping” or using software to altering the digital images is permitted for this contest. It would be nearly impossible to police the contest if “photoshopping” was not allowed.

Altering photo images is as old as photography itself. Before the digital age the finished image was completed in the darkroom. There were numerous techniques used to alter and/or improve the image. Contrast was often adjusted and even contrast in just one area of a picture was adjusted by a process called dodging and burning. Even the final picture there was artist techniques to reduce skin flaws, wrinkles and blemishes. Dust spots on the lens were covered on the final picture using a soft lead pencil which in the past I have done many times myself.

In this LINK see how Ansel Adams describes how he used the darkroom to take a “straight print” or what photographers today call the raw image to an award winning photograph.

Each board member must make up their own mind as to how much “photoshopping” they will accept and vote according.
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

Boris

Post by Boris » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:47 pm

idej_jedi wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:14 pm

:attentionwhore: :soapbox: :surrender: :rofl:
What a strange reaction to a perfectly straight forward reply :dizzy:

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:57 am

The reason that first image might look like a render is because that car has a Matt wrap on it so doesn't have the same gloss finish as normal paint.

Boris

Post by Boris » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:35 am

srhutch wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:57 am

The reason that first image might look like a render is because that car has a Matt wrap on it so doesn't have the same gloss finish as normal paint.
Thank you; that I didn't know. :thumbsup:

Gazhyde

Post by Gazhyde » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:37 am

srhutch wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:57 amThe reason that first image might look like a render is because that car has a Matt wrap on it so doesn't have the same gloss finish as normal paint.
Most likely, the matt wrap seems to change in different light conditions. Very difficult to consistently photograph it's colour, or explain what shade it actually is when asked. All I know is I bloody love it, and Rob takes awesome pics of it :thumbsup:
The Spicy Meatball - 2006 Z4 M Roadster, Interlagos / Black, BC Racing Coilovers, Gruppe M Induction, Supersprint exhaust and x-pipe.

idej_z4

Post by idej_z4 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:54 am

Gazhyde wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:37 am
srhutch wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:57 amThe reason that first image might look like a render is because that car has a Matt wrap on it so doesn't have the same gloss finish as normal paint.
Most likely, the matt wrap seems to change in different light conditions. Very difficult to consistently photograph it's colour, or explain what shade it actually is when asked. All I know is I bloody love it, and Rob takes awesome pics of it :thumbsup:
+1 to that - it is an absolute belter of a shot! :thumbsup:

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:46 am

Jesus... Z4-forum is such a great place these days...

:headbang:

1000rr

Post by 1000rr » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:14 pm

WLH wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:18 pm First let me say “photoshopping” or using software to altering the digital images is permitted for this contest. It would be nearly impossible to police the contest if “photoshopping” was not allowed.

Altering photo images is as old as photography itself. Before the digital age the finished image was completed in the darkroom. There were numerous techniques used to alter and/or improve the image. Contrast was often adjusted and even contrast in just one area of a picture was adjusted by a process called dodging and burning. Even the final picture there was artist techniques to reduce skin flaws, wrinkles and blemishes. Dust spots on the lens were covered on the final picture using a soft lead pencil which in the past I have done many times myself.

In this LINK see how Ansel Adams describes how he used the darkroom to take a “straight print” or what photographers today call the raw image to an award winning photograph.

Each board member must make up their own mind as to how much “photoshopping” they will accept and vote according.
:thumbsup:

All images are altered, even straight out j-peg. The camera interprets the raw file. The dynamic range of the eye is far greater than any camera... so manipulation is needed to get close to what we see.... it's still a long way off though. Every image you see in publications and papers etc... is manipulated in some way or other. Dishing and burning was common place, even 60 yrs ago in the darkroom. :thumbsup:
Sterling 3.0, Bentley burgundy leather, Aeros..
Ducati Supersport S