Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

FS: Whippy aerial. Edit: now the most important and divisive poll on this forum! ;)

Buying and selling Z4 related goods (private sales only, no traders)

Stubby, whippy or nowt?

Stubby
57%
Whippy
40%
Total delete, they both look sh!te.
3%

Total votes: 116

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

FS: Whippy aerial

Post by Ducklakeview » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:39 pm

Number5 wrote:"Compatible for all vehicles with Navigation, Bluetooth, TV, Etc" - Thats all nonsense !!

My understanding was that the Stubby/Whippy is only the AM aerial anyway.
The FM Aerial is built into the rear windscreen
The TV Aerial is on the rear left quarter, under the rear lights and runs along behind the bumper
The SatNav aerial is tucked up above the rear view mirror, behind the Courtesy light
The Bluetooth aerial is behind the dash, nearest the driver. Why would you put it outside the car ?

Here you go :
Aerial Positions.JPG
The E85 at least doesn't have an aerial in the rear window. They have the rear quarter mounted one (stubby on mine) and a line type one suspended from the body behind the rear bumper. They are both amplified, and there is a "diversity" switcher which optimises reception between the two. The "stubby" is used used for AM/FM, and the line aerial behind the bumper for FM only.
2017-01-14_12-36-21.jpg
2017-01-14_12-36-21.jpg (44.41 KiB) Viewed 839 times
2017-01-14_12-37-30.jpg
2017-01-14_12-37-30.jpg (64.16 KiB) Viewed 839 times
2017-01-14_12-37-53.jpg
2017-01-14_12-37-53.jpg (28.1 KiB) Viewed 839 times
Details on page 10 here: http://www.bmwclub.lv/files/12_E85_Communications.pdf

Mike

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RickRob » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:17 pm

I'd like to report that this thread has been hacked. Whippys were, quite expectedly, leading the way until very recently and there has now been a spate of very strange votes for stubbies.

I guess it's the Russians. Having fixed the US election they're clearly moving on to matters of importance. :P
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:33 pm

RickRob wrote:I'd like to report that this thread has been hacked. Whippys were, quite expectedly, leading the way until very recently and there has now been a spate of very strange votes for stubbies.

I guess it's the Russians. Having fixed the US election they're clearly moving on to matters of importance. :P
Dammit, i thought i'd told those halfwits at the kremlin to keep it hush-hush. :roll:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

pvr
Legend
Legend

FS: Whippy aerial. Edit: now the most important and divisive poll on this forum! ;)

Post by pvr » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:26 pm

There could be duplicates as well. I voted for the stubby on my M, but Bing might vote for the same again - hence duplicating the count :lol:
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:33 pm

pvr wrote:There could be duplicates as well. I voted for the stubby on my M, but Bing might vote for the same again - hence duplicating the count :lol:
It'll only let you vote once per user though, so it's still expressing people's opinions??

Mike

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:52 pm

Ducklakeview wrote:
extrablatt wrote:I have the official BMW one. Was a gift in my Christmas stocking this year. I couldn't help but note the wording on the stubby box:
This 83mm aerial is significantly shorter in length than the aerial and provides the perfect visual enhancement of the vehicle.
:thumbsup:

I couldn't have said it better.

And that blows any "whippy" enthusiast's reasoning out of the water!

Mike
I work late into the night and wake to find this ??
What can I say, a fool and their money are easily parted. Of course BMW will come out with all this hype, they want to sell the useless item :poke: :poke: :roll:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:55 pm

bmwaddict wrote:I have a Peugeot one on mine, fits perfectly, follows the taper of the base exactly and looks great. Not like it has a huge Peugeot badge on it!
I suppose they are acceptable on the hatchback Z4, you don't want it getting in the way when your loading and unloading the shopping cart :P :rofl:
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Mini 1000 1981

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:56 pm

D4dawg wrote:Image

Fred and carly teaching (corrupting) Young minds to the whippy way of life
Oi grommet, keep out of this :poke: :P
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Mini 1000 1981

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:59 pm

Number5 wrote:"Compatible for all vehicles with Navigation, Bluetooth, TV, Etc" - Thats all nonsense !!

The TV Aerial is on the rear left quarter, under the rear lights and runs along behind the bumper
The SatNav aerial is tucked up above the rear view mirror, behind the Courtesy light
The Bluetooth aerial is behind the dash, nearest the driver. Why would you put it outside the car ?

Here you go :
Aerial Positions.JPG
Well done that man, I think I like you Number5 :thumbsup:
Remind me to present you with a whippy, next time I see you :wink:
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Mini 1000 1981

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:01 pm

chapeau wrote:

From my understanding, the Stubby/Whippy is only the AM aerial anyway.
The TV Aerial is on the rear left quarter, under the rear lights and behind the bumper

So unless you listen to AM Stations you may as well put a Unicorn horn on the rear wing for all the difference it will make !
That does make an awful lot of sense. When i listen to talksport the reception is terrible but FM stations are ok. It almost makes me wonder if i should buy a whippy and go all "retro" with the look.
No my dear boy, not retro, it's the proper look. You know it makes sense :thumbsup:
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Mini 1000 1981

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:01 pm

firebobby wrote:

Here you go :
Aerial Positions.JPG
Well done that man, I think I like you Number5 :thumbsup:
Remind me to present you with a whippy, next time I see you :wink:
Erm, but the info stated is clearly not correct...

:fuelfire:

Mike

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:05 pm

Chris_D wrote:
RickRob wrote:I'd like to report that this thread has been hacked. Whippys were, quite expectedly, leading the way until very recently and there has now been a spate of very strange votes for stubbies.

Dammit, i thought i'd told those halfwits at the kremlin to keep it hush-hush. :roll:
Well. I have to agree RR, I think the stumpy brigade are cheating...the truth will prosper :thumbsup:
I knew you would be behind it Chris :poke:
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Mini 1000 1981

bmwaddict

Post by bmwaddict » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:05 pm

firebobby wrote:
bmwaddict wrote:I have a Peugeot one on mine, fits perfectly, follows the taper of the base exactly and looks great. Not like it has a huge Peugeot badge on it!
I suppose they are acceptable on the hatchback Z4, you don't want it getting in the way when your loading and unloading the shopping cart :P :rofl:
How dare you!

I always use a hand basket.

I'll admit the stubby is purely a visual enhancement, nobody's trying to say it's for anything else, but after all Fred, nobody in their right mind wants to drive around in what looks like an oversized R.C. Car now do they! :poke:
Currently zedless :(

'07 Mugello Blue Audi B7 RS4 Saloon with added goodies
'94 Black/Silver/Green Honda CBR400RR
Previous:
'07 Ruby Black Z4MC
'07 Sapphire Black Z4C 3.0si Sport

D4dawg

Post by D4dawg » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:13 pm

Hahha zoom zoom rc car
N my mate wallice will be along soon

NickDE

Post by NickDE » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:14 pm

Ducklakeview wrote:
extrablatt wrote:I have the official BMW one. Was a gift in my Christmas stocking this year. I couldn't help but note the wording on the stubby box:
This 83mm aerial is significantly shorter in length than the aerial and provides the perfect visual enhancement of the vehicle.
:thumbsup:

I couldn't have said it better.

And that blows any "whippy" enthusiast's reasoning out of the water!

Mike
So the Stubby-ists rely on the manufacturers statement on what looks good. In which case this only applies to those who dug deep and paid for the genuine BMW part. Those who bought the cheap pug-e-oot part haven't got the manufacturers written confirmation that it enhances a Z4 so have no defense left. :dizzy:
Whippers of course rely on natural good taste and don't need marketing hype. :whip:

For those who care about function rather than form, it is worth noting BMW do not commit that the stubby even matches the reception performance of the whippy. And the bumper aerial relies on an amplifier so will not have great reception in the first place.
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic