Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

The Sytner Shed has re-appeared

"M" Specific discussion
Ninarvana

The Sytner Shed has re-appeared

Post by Ninarvana » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:55 pm

Hey, long time since I've been active, am over-due a forum catch up!
Remember when I was searching for my MC I test drove a lemon at Sytners in Solihull? Another forum member commented on it also. Well, the poor bugger that actually parted with his cash for it has now listed it for sale:
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/ ... 07/2829808

A warning to anyone looking for a Z, this may have great spec but the service history is very off and the car drive horrendously when I looked at it, albeit a year ago. The front end was peppered with stone chips from wing to wing too... So, keep a weather eye out if considering...
Current - Inty - '56 Interlagos MC

Artist | http://www.facebook.com/ArtistNinaRoseBarber
Writer | M-Rated http://www.facebook.com/NinasMRated

pvr
Legend
Legend

Re: The Sytner Shed has re-appeared

Post by pvr » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:00 pm

"Mint" :D
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

exdos

Post by exdos » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:39 pm

Ninarvana wrote:Hey, long time since I've been active, am over-due a forum catch up!
Remember when I was searching for my MC I test drove a lemon at Sytners in Solihull? Another forum member commented on it also. Well, the poor bugger that actually parted with his cash for it has now listed it for sale:
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/ ... 07/2829808

A warning to anyone looking for a Z, this may have great spec but the service history is very off and the car drive horrendously when I looked at it, albeit a year ago. The front end was peppered with stone chips from wing to wing too... So, keep a weather eye out if considering...
Is it right for you to seek to permanently blight this car? The owner could claim that you are acting maliciously and it would be difficult to see how you might defend your position.

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flimper » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:33 pm

The only M you'll find without stone chips is a garage queen
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

Bumpy

Post by Bumpy » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:56 pm

What exactly was wrong with this car ?
It's got a warranty and appears to be well maintained.

Just curious
Bumpy

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:29 am

flimper wrote:The only M you'll find without stone chips is a garage queen

Yup. Even mine has a few more than it did when I bought it :D
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

mad4slalom

Post by mad4slalom » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:38 am

my thoughts too that the op has been unfair in several ways, he says when I was looking for one , anyone who drove one for the first time could say the car drove terribly simply because they were not used to or expecting a bmw to have a clunky first to second gearshift, the brakes to be somewhat over braked at the top of the pedal and the clutch to feel totally alien to anything else previously driven. all these factors are valid reasons to say the car drove terribly but are in fact par for the course and could in fact if you were not used to them could be construed as driver error or M inexperience. so yes ithink unfair because most potential buyers would be put off by these comments i feel. :poke: The M is not perfect but is full of character and a bit of a handful which is what makes them so endearing, you will either love or hate them with a passion. if you are looking for boring mediocrity with almost total reliability and soulessnes in abundance ,.... go buy a honda !!!

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:02 am

Bumpy wrote:What exactly was wrong with this car ?

Just curious
Bumpy
The wheels are not cleaned on the inside... :rofl:

obviously you have to see a car in the flesh, but stonechips could be solved with a quick partial respray. Judging from the pictures there is nothing wrong, it has nice specs (individual interior?), and the TS doesn't mention anything specific structural. Every aspect he mentions are things every idiot can see, so that gives no real information for potential buyers, unless they buy straight from an ad without looking at the car in person and making a test drive (and nobody does that...)
From the pictures you can tell it hasn't been garaged for a large part of it's life, so inspection of the underside is important. (but that's never a bad thing to do).
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

StevenH72
Lifer
Lifer

Post by StevenH72 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:43 am

To even this up in here.

All Nina is trying to do is to help members who are looking, stopping them from buying a poor car.

She looked for a long time and drove a number of different Z4MC's (including my "minter") before selecting her "Inty" (which is also a minter). She is more than aware of the characteristics of the S54 and quirks of the Z4MC in general, so if she says this one drives poorly, I'd believe her.

If somebody went to see a listed Z4MC and hadn't much experience with driving Z4MC's previously, they might be happy with the way it drives given that this forum talks about notchy gear changes, clunky diffs, unpredictable biting points, terrible suspension, tappety engine noises etc.

However, it could be easy to miss something that is a little more sinister.

I don't see the problem with what Nina has done, we are a community looking to help one another and that is what Nina has done.
'07 ///M Coupé ¦ Carbon Black ¦ Black Nappa Interior ¦ Piano Black trim ¦ 224's ¦ Stubby ¦ ZHP ¦ Prof Nav ¦ Loudspeaker HiFi ¦ BT ¦ Aux ¦ 6CD ¦ Cruise ¦ Heated Seats ¦ Folding Mirrors ¦ PDC ¦ Autodim ¦

danmiddle2

Post by danmiddle2 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:35 am

StevenH72 wrote:I don't see the problem with what Nina has done, we are a community looking to help one another and that is what Nina has done.
+1 surely sharing opinions and experiences is a big part of what this forum is about? You, of course, don't have to agree with all shared views - but this might be valuable info to a potential buyer.

mad4slalom

Post by mad4slalom » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:07 am

still i think maybe a bit more restaint in negative comments so that other potential purchasers can make up there own minds rather than dismissing it outright or turning up with pre concieved ideas. just because we all might be trying to sell our cars at some time and would feel pretty peeved if someone with possibly little actual mechanical savvy had put it about that our car was a wrongun. just boot on the other foot really :| also the m drives significantly better when engine and transmission are up to full temps so again first impressions after a short test could well be different a half hour later. mine were after seeing the mc at ocean falmouth, drove like a pig from cold. just saying :thumbsup:

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:14 am

What could be actually wrong it? What could make the car a "lemon"..

There is nothing inherently wrong in design with the suspension or steering that could make the car drive badly..

We all know the engines are tappy,and the drive line clunky and clutches unpredictable..

Has it been accident damaged??

exdos

Post by exdos » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:30 am

StevenH72 wrote:
I don't see the problem with what Nina has done, we are a community looking to help one another and that is what Nina has done.
Would you be happy if someone started a thread on a public forum warning others to beware of buying your car?

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:35 am

I think the I plication is that it has been poorly maintained. This could be the case, at least when it was last seen or driven. But who's to say it's issues haven't been solved ? There is sometimes a certain institional arrogance displayed on here that completely dismisses any car that doesn't have a perfect service history, low mileage or completely immaculate paintwork as a bad car. Which is not necessarily true, or commensurate with the average joe's level of expectation or tolerance. Not every problem will cost £000s to rectify. I think labelling it a 'shed' is what has gotten people's backs up.... Now, the accident damaged and completely inaccurately described coupé bargain of the century being talked about last week - that's a shed.

This is just a car to be wary of, with some issues to look out for - Ninas intent is not to be doubted though, I don't think there's anything malicious about her assessment at all.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:42 am

Wouldn't sytners have to sell the car as AUC with 12 months warranty?