Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Learn something new every day.

"M" Specific discussion
goon

Post by goon » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:59 am

And yes I do, took the car for mot earlier and the tester asked if the car had limited slip diff, I answered yes and then he informed me that it would not be going on the brake test rollers in case the diff gets damaged. He then accelerates behind the garage and slams the brakes on a few times and gets out holding a little electronic box with a digital display on it. Apparently he placed it on the floor of the car and its internal sensors calculated how quickly the car had come to a halt. How cool is that.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:15 am

Interesting indeed, thanks for sharing that wee nugget of knowledge. :thumbsup:

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:53 am

Not all MOT stations do it though. There was a discussion a few years back about it. Seem to recall one members car had a 20 minute test drive for the tester to check the brakes. As you can imagine he wasn't amused.

goon

Post by goon » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:24 pm

srhutch wrote:Not all MOT stations do it though. There was a discussion a few years back about it. Seem to recall one members car had a 20 minute test drive for the tester to check the brakes. As you can imagine he wasn't amused.
The actual tester I was with told me that was the case in "the old days" and that he preferred to road test the cars at the end of each test to get a general feel of the car that running 2 wheels on a roller or poking a sill can never do.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:12 pm

Has anyone watched their cars on one of the new suspension/chassis testing rigs that some of the MOT garages have installed.

It's worse than watching your car being run up & down on a dyno :o
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:44 pm

goon wrote:
srhutch wrote:Not all MOT stations do it though. There was a discussion a few years back about it. Seem to recall one members car had a 20 minute test drive for the tester to check the brakes. As you can imagine he wasn't amused.
The actual tester I was with told me that was the case in "the old days" and that he preferred to road test the cars at the end of each test to get a general feel of the car that running 2 wheels on a roller or poking a sill can never do.
In that case the "old days" must be 2-3 years ago :lol:

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:14 pm

One of the previous discussions,

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=50876&p=738569&hilit
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

D4dawg

Post by D4dawg » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:50 am

mmm-five wrote:Has anyone watched their cars on one of the new suspension/chassis testing rigs that some of the MOT garages have installed.

It's worse than watching your car being run up & down on a dyno :o
Had this done to my old scholl.mazzer
I told the guy that it's far to aggressive for the type and age of my car and from fine to damaged my steering rack !