Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2 generations of proper M Cars

"M" Specific discussion
D4dawg

Post by D4dawg » Thu May 25, 2017 10:09 am

Franzino wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 9:39 am
D4dawg wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 2:54 am Lost a bit here
Best car in turbo era?
The m2 runs the m135i, m235i engine
A 3.5 turbo engine, and an aging one at that.
Which ofcourse leads me to the Mpa
m performance automobile, the m135i m235i of which these are a few of
The same said engine is sat in your engine bay
Now, to become a valid member if the M Power line up, the car must have an S engine and the car is built by M for the track and usable on road by definition

Therefore your M2 by default isn't a real M
Hence the Cs is coming out and with it's own S engine
So therefore best new M car would be the M3/4
So in your opinion the 1M is also not a real M-car...because it does not have a S engine?
Believe me; I drove with all the recent BMW M-models and the M2 is one of the best and most fun BMW's that they now have in the line-up. Real M-car or not..? In my opinion the M2 is a very exiting car that is an awesome daily car and very much a true M-car. For me it is some what the modern (tubocharged) interpretation of the E46 M3.

By the way; a "normal" M-car is NOT build for the track! You can indeed use them on the track; but a BMW M is initially designed as a fun and exiting street car (with still some comfort and useability). For example; a standard Z4M is not great on track...the brakes are crap...you can make it great on track but a BMW M is not designed as mainly a track car.

The F M3/M4 was a car that I did not like...I did not like the sound, the power delivery of the engine, the steering feel, the big size, etc. I'm actually glad that the "normal" M2 does not have the same engine as the F M3/M4.... S engine or not; it will always be a turbo charged engine and no way it is going to be as iconic or remembered as a S54-engine.
1m has the 335i engine also
So technically again no
Badged as the same as M2

And M power cars by the CEO of M devision himself
States M power car are track built cars that are designed for road use
Other m performance badges cars are tweaked road cars

Stating factually
Look at all other m engines
Not starting a fight
Merely pointing facts

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Thu May 25, 2017 10:18 am

Does anyone really care?

The fact is its a great car regardless of its engine designation.

No point complaining about a by gone era because its gone now and its not coming back this is what the line up is.

Franzino

Post by Franzino » Thu May 25, 2017 10:42 am

tomscott wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:18 am Does anyone really care?

The fact is its a great car regardless of its engine designation.

No point complaining about a by gone era because its gone now and its not coming back this is what the line up is.
+1
Indeed; actual owners of a M2 don't care...
I don't care if my M2 suppose to be a real M car or not...it's awesome and I love it...same story with my Z4M ;)
The best cars are already made and the period with all time great NA engines are gone forever. Still happy that BMW makes cars like the M2 in this day of age..and not something boring :)

tjlazer

Post by tjlazer » Thu May 25, 2017 12:41 pm

My favourite M is still the e39 M5, that's probably about the same size as the M2 but has a proper revvy torquey V8, 5 doors and exquisite balance. I still regret selling mine!
WAS: black on black MR with carbon trim. NOW: IB/Champagne/Carbon ZMC

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Thu May 25, 2017 1:36 pm

:evil:

The e34 M5 was the last of the 'proper' M-cars

Each engine was built by a specific engineer, and the car body was finished by another - who often signed their name inside the front bumper!

:poke:
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Franzino

Post by Franzino » Thu May 25, 2017 5:04 pm

tjlazer wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 12:41 pm My favourite M is still the e39 M5, that's probably about the same size as the M2 but has a proper revvy torquey V8, 5 doors and exquisite balance. I still regret selling mine!
E39 M5 is awesome....bigger then the M2, but what a nice car...

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Thu May 25, 2017 8:34 pm

Interesting thread!

I think the purists will never accept a real M car with a turbo engine no matter how good it is?

Ive just picked up a 240 which has got the new b58 engine and what an engine it is but it doesn't give the same feeling as the s54 no matter how fast it is?

I think for me that a true M car is based on feeling?
IMOLA Z4///MR

Franzino

Post by Franzino » Thu May 25, 2017 9:39 pm

RedUn wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 8:34 pm Interesting thread!

I think the purists will never accept a real M car with a turbo engine no matter how good it is?

Ive just picked up a 240 which has got the new b58 engine and what an engine it is but it doesn't give the same feeling as the s54 no matter how fast it is?

I think for me that a true M car is based on feeling?
I'm a somewhat of a purist and used to be also like that until I drove a 1M and M2....on paper they may no be real M cars, but they feel like the real, exiting deal...even with turbo engines. A Porsche 991 GT3 with PDK feels also like a real Porsche GT even if it does not have a Mezger engine and PDK only. On the other hand; the new 4 cilinder turbo Cayman/Boxster is not a true Porsche for me anymore and I don't get it who would want to buy a 4 cilinder P-car... :roll:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu May 25, 2017 9:54 pm

Franzino wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 9:39 pmI'm a somewhat of a purist and used to be also like that until I drove a 1M and M2....on paper they may no be real M cars, but they feel like the real, exiting deal...even with turbo engines. A Porsche 991 GT3 with PDK feels also like a real Porsche GT even if it does not have a Mezger engine and PDK only. On the other hand; the new 4 cilinder turbo Cayman/Boxster is not a true Porsche for me anymore and I don't get it who would want to buy a 4 cilinder P-car...
Maybe the same people who would buy a current 6 cylinder M3/4 or a V8 M5/6 with forced induction when their predecessors were N/A engines with 2 more cylinders? :roll:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Fri May 26, 2017 7:14 am

Basically emissions has ruined everything :headbang:

I'd love a v10 M6!
IMOLA Z4///MR

elevensies

Post by elevensies » Fri May 26, 2017 8:02 am

M2 :D gorgeous looking car
support our paras
"Utrinque Paratus"
https://www.justgiving.com/paracharity

no fit state

Post by no fit state » Fri May 26, 2017 10:39 am

If BMW call it an M car then it is an M car as far as I'm concerned. They get to decide which cars are M and which are not. So they had an S series engine in them in the past.... Times change and that isn't always the case anymore.

BTW love the M2! Looks like a modern day E46 M3 to me :thumbsup:
Z4MC Imola red

Franzino

Post by Franzino » Fri May 26, 2017 9:03 pm

Chris Harris testing two "not real" M cars :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xkv4PiD0To&t=

Argenta

Post by Argenta » Sat May 27, 2017 6:01 am

What I have problems with on the later M cars is the clumsy, cartoonish design language. They seem designed by kids, for kids.
"Look at me I'm the angriest!"
Compared to any bangle-era car like our Z4M or older, they just loose out even before we start talking engine's or computer game-ish fake exhaust notes from the bloody speakers..
My two cents! :)

Franzino

Post by Franzino » Sat May 27, 2017 9:39 am

Argenta wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 6:01 am What I have problems with on the later M cars is the clumsy, cartoonish design language. They seem designed by kids, for kids.
"Look at me I'm the angriest!"
Compared to any bangle-era car like our Z4M or older, they just loose out even before we start talking engine's or computer game-ish fake exhaust notes from the bloody speakers..
My two cents! :)
Correct...for me personally I had this feeling more with the 1M then with the M2. M2 looks still angry but more mature. The look grow on me and now I rather like how the car looks. But the looks are not the main reason I bought my M2...the way it drives (for that price) is the main reason I bought mine. ASD is indeed stupid; so I disabled it 👍