Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Mot time, spring snapped, b12's ordered....

"M" Specific discussion
Bottom

Post by Bottom » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:47 pm

I think it's a cm or so lower compared to standard. Nothing too severe, there are 2 speed humps outside my house and they're not an issue. Ride is better than OEM too, firm but well damped..

Muckinonthesofa

Post by Muckinonthesofa » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:54 pm

The garage kindly delivered my back to me this afternoon, so it was waiting for me when I got back from work.

I've had chance to take it for a quick 7-8 mile run but on fairly boring roads (not the Brecon Beacons, my favourite haunt! :D ) and my initial thoughts are;

It looks noticeably lower and imo much better.

Much less dive and squat, particularly squat under acceleration. Something I thought the stock set up was awful for so very happy with that.

Ride seems no firmer but is definitely better with a more controlled feel.

Less roll around corners.

Front end seemed tighter, less prone to understeer. Didn't get chance to get on it early out if corners but I'd say the rear would have more grip as well.

I'm planning a good run up through the Brecon Beacons and on to mid Wales soon so will have a better idea of how it handles all the dips, crests, cambers, fast/slow bends etc etc after that but initial impressions are excellent, basically more body control and grip. :thumbsup: :driving:
Z4MC, Silver/Grey, Imola Red Leather, Sat Nav, Heated Seats, DSP, Intravee, Stubby, ZHP, Gruppe M, CDV, Bilstein B12's, Vibra-Technics engine mounts.

carl

Post by carl » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:20 pm

Muckinonthesofa wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:54 pm Much less dive and squat, particularly squat under acceleration. Something I thought the stock set up was awful for so very happy with that.

Ride seems no firmer but is definitely better with a more controlled feel.
Just what I want to hear. I replaced the suspension on my Cerbera with springs that were massively stiffer (450lbs front, 375 rear) but because the dampers were so much better than stock the ride was fantastic in comparison to before. I'm hoping for the same here.

abar121

Post by abar121 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:15 am

That's great, thanks for the feedback. Are you running stock 18s?

Could you measure the ride height? From the top of one of the front alloys to the arch would be fine. Or ground to the bottom of one of the fangs. Thanks.

I'd love to take a ride in a zed with this kit. Is there anyone around London / Kent / Essex or even Herts / Bucks?

Cheers.
'07 Z4M Interlagos Blue. All options except extended leather.

Muckinonthesofa

Post by Muckinonthesofa » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:30 pm

abar121 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:15 am That's great, thanks for the feedback. Are you running stock 18s?

Could you measure the ride height? From the top of one of the front alloys to the arch would be fine. Or ground to the bottom of one of the fangs. Thanks.

I'd love to take a ride in a zed with this kit. Is there anyone around London / Kent / Essex or even Herts / Bucks?

Cheers.
Yes, I'm running the standard 18" 224's (csl's are on the to do list!)

Sorry, not sure what the fangs are but I measured each end from the ground through the centre of the wheel to the arch. Measurements were;

Front - 648mm

Rear - 665mm

I've no idea what it was before but to my eyes it definitely looks lower. I'll try and get a photo up but I find it a pain in the ass getting photos up on here! :headbang:
Z4MC, Silver/Grey, Imola Red Leather, Sat Nav, Heated Seats, DSP, Intravee, Stubby, ZHP, Gruppe M, CDV, Bilstein B12's, Vibra-Technics engine mounts.

VRSteve

Post by VRSteve » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:56 pm

abar121 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:15 am That's great, thanks for the feedback. Are you running stock 18s?

Cheers.
I'm in Sussex

I have the B12 kit on my car.

PM me your email address, I can send you some pics of mine if it helps.
///M|Silver Grey|Black Leather|BT|Nav|DSP|Heated Seats|PDC|Stubby|Turner Limiters|Turner Rear Top Mounts|Bilstein B12|Powerflex ARB Bushes|Powerflex Lollipops|M-Track|
SOLD

Muckinonthesofa

Post by Muckinonthesofa » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:48 am

Cheers.
Tried to post some photos but Photobucket wanted $500 to upgrade my account to do it!!!!!

Anyone know another way of posting photos??

maxman

Post by maxman » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:08 am

Muckinonthesofa wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:48 am

Cheers.
Tried to post some photos but Photobucket wanted $500 to upgrade my account to do it!!!!!

If you look at the bottom of the page on the left side there is a add files box,tap that and the photo option is there.

Muckinonthesofa

Post by Muckinonthesofa » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:12 am

maxman wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:08 am
Muckinonthesofa wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:48 am

Cheers.

If you look at the bottom of the page on the left side there is a add files box,tap that and the photo option is there.
Thanks Maxman

Muckinonthesofa

Post by Muckinonthesofa » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:21 am

Managed to get some photos up, eventually! (Ignore the dirty state of my car!)

20170823_173603.jpg
20170823_173603.jpg (202.72 KiB) Viewed 1414 times
20170823_173555.jpg
20170823_173555.jpg (205.28 KiB) Viewed 1414 times
20170823_173546.jpg
20170823_173546.jpg (221.21 KiB) Viewed 1414 times

abar121

Post by abar121 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:52 am

Looking great! Many thanks for the measurements too.

Compare to my stock MR, it's 2cm lower on the front and 1.5cm on the rear. Obviously many other variables here too.

The fangs are the lowest points on either side of the front spoiler. The bits that I seem to scrap on the odd speed bump / gradient. Don't worry though, those measurements are fine. Thanks. :driving:
'07 Z4M Interlagos Blue. All options except extended leather.

Muckinonthesofa

Post by Muckinonthesofa » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:05 pm

abar121 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:52 am Looking great! Many thanks for the measurements too.

Compare to my stock MR, it's 2cm lower on the front and 1.5cm on the rear. Obviously many other variables here too.

The fangs are the lowest points on either side of the front spoiler. The bits that I seem to scrap on the odd speed bump / gradient. Don't worry though, those measurements are fine. Thanks. :driving:

No problem. Out of interest, how do the measurements compare to the stock set up?

Muckinonthesofa

Post by Muckinonthesofa » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:07 pm

Muckinonthesofa wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:05 pm
abar121 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:52 am Looking great! Many thanks for the measurements too.

No problem. Out of interest, how do the measurements compare to the stock set up?
Sorry, just re-read your post, doh!

Muckinonthesofa

Post by Muckinonthesofa » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:41 pm

Just got back from a drive across some decent B roads.

I've gotta say, it's a massive improvement, I'm very happy. Ride is better, it handles the dips, crests, bumps etc with way more composure, body control is improved, I feel a lot more confident in it. These cars must be incredible with the top of the range coil over kits fitted!

carl

Post by carl » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:33 pm

Interestingly I also had a snapped spring and because I've been paying for the Mondial warranty for the last 7 years (!) the BMW dealer replaced both rear springs a couple of days ago. The ride is much improved!