Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rev dip issue

"M" Specific discussion
Sam1977

Rev dip issue

Post by Sam1977 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:02 pm

Dear all

I have started a new thread because I ended up chipping in on someone elses issue which seems different from my own and I don't want to continue to hijack or confuse that matter.

Here is my issue:

With cold start and the revs at 1000rpm if I blip the throttle in neutral it revs up clean. Once warm and the RPM's drop to about 800rpm it idles perfectly smooth and consistent but if I blip the throttle there is a very momentary drop in revs before it then revs clean up. Doesnt stall. If instead of blipping (or stabbing - whatever you want to call it) I press the throttle gently it is slightly stuttery for the first 100 maybe 200rpm over idle.

If I feather (use gently) the throttle when pulling away in heavy traffic or backing out of my garage for example this makes it easy to stall. I can "drive around" this but it seems wrong to me. It is the same with sport button on or off. Have tried the TPS reset using key. No difference.

BMW had the car today and drove it for an hour said absolutely nothing wrong with it - they must have taken a reasonably good dig around because they said the spark plugs were not the OEM spec plugs and do I want them changed. I said no but they still have the car until tomorrow afternoon as they are quoting for detailing work. I did question why they needed to drive it for an hour - given the problem as far as I sense it is evident at idle even if you stand outside the car and stick your foot in and stab the throttle!

So at this point I am a little stumped. Is it because I just don't know the car (had it 3 weeks only), or because the reception guy told the tech guy who told another guy and the symptom wasn't explained properly, or maybe it is the non-OEM plugs!

Any opinions on this? I am planning to go up to there tomorrow during the day and try and SHOW the tech guy the problem personally - something they said "isn't necessary" when I dropped it off this morning ...

TIA
Sam.
BMW Z4M INTERLAGOS BLUE
Other tin:
Porsche 911 Turbo S / Boxster S
BMW E60 M5 / E38 740i / E46 320d / E36 316i / E46 330Ci (Time Attack car)
Mercedes SL500
Hyundai Accent Copa (Andalucia Cup) x3
Audi A6 Avant x2
Nissan Navara
Fiat Punto Sporting

TomK

Rev dip issue

Post by TomK » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:33 pm

It's definitely not in your head Sam, mine used to do it and it was really really annoying. There are tons of threads around here and on the us forums about it, which no doubt you've read. I haven't seen a conclusive answer from any of them sadly.
Weirdly whilst everything points to some kind of sensor/icv/actuator etc issue mine was fixed randomly by taking the engine out and putting a new head gasket/cams/rod bearings, everything else remained the same. All been good for 25k+ miles Go figure :?
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

Lower

Rev dip issue

Post by Lower » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:37 pm

I personally think it's the idle control valve that causes most of these problems. Cleaning mine helped for a while.
57 Z4MC Interlagos blue, Champagne leather, Carbon Dash, SatNav, Bluetooth, Cruise Control, Logic 7, Heated Seats, Rear Park sensors, Isofix and airbag disable switch for the ideal family car :)
Now Sold and replaced with a M2

srhutch

Rev dip issue

Post by srhutch » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:41 pm

If I were you I would demonstrate the issue to the dealer yourself. I always do this now otherwise they say say "Nothing wrong with it sir" unless the issue is obvious.

Sam1977

Rev dip issue

Post by Sam1977 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:49 pm

TomK wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:33 pm It's definitely not in your head Sam, mine used to do it and it was really really annoying. There are tons of threads around here and on the us forums about it, which no doubt you've read. I haven't seen a conclusive answer from any of them sadly.
Weirdly whilst everything points to some kind of sensor/icv/actuator etc issue mine was fixed randomly by taking the engine out and putting a new head gasket/cams/rod bearings, everything else remained the same. All been good for 25k+ miles Go figure :?
Okay I'll them to do that then!!! :D

Seriously though I do find it annoying - no codes so nothing definite to go after. And as you rightly say (having trawled through everything I can find about similar issues on this model and other BMW's even other cars) the whole list of what it might be is the same! Its fairly easy to "drive around" it but its already annoying me after a few weeks so I would like to get it fixed. I might go down the road at this point of cleaning stuff like ICV as others have suggested but I find it crazy that a main dealer won't know to do that themselves. They actually told me (and no joke) that I need to drive it harder as its an M car as if I had just graduated from Seat Ibiza 1.9tdi - completely ignoring the fact that once its rolling along it droves fine, the problem is getting it moving without giving it loads of pre-clutch throttle!! I am determined to go back tomorrow whilst they still have it and show them this is not normal - find a solution. See what happens then ....!! :fuelfire:
BMW Z4M INTERLAGOS BLUE
Other tin:
Mercedes SL500
Audi A6 Avant x2
Nissan Navara
Fiat Punto Sporting

Sam1977

Rev dip issue

Post by Sam1977 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:51 pm

Lower wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:37 pm I personally think it's the idle control valve that causes most of these problems. Cleaning mine helped for a while.
Thanks - I did tell them in my initial email and today on the visit that it was my suspicion too - the problem is they just kind of look at you like you have 2 heads and say no problem, we'll know what it is. Did you have the exact same issues? Did it cure them permanently or just for a while?
BMW Z4M INTERLAGOS BLUE
Other tin:
Mercedes SL500
Audi A6 Avant x2
Nissan Navara
Fiat Punto Sporting

Sam1977

Rev dip issue

Post by Sam1977 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:53 pm

srhutch wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:41 pm If I were you I would demonstrate the issue to the dealer yourself. I always do this now otherwise they say say "Nothing wrong with it sir" unless the issue is obvious.
Fully agree with you - I am going to do exactly that tomorrow. I will update with the outcome!
BMW Z4M INTERLAGOS BLUE
Other tin:
Mercedes SL500
Audi A6 Avant x2
Nissan Navara
Fiat Punto Sporting

goldbcfc

Rev dip issue

Post by goldbcfc » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:56 pm

vacuum leak / camshaft position sensor

Sam1977

Rev dip issue

Post by Sam1977 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:05 pm

goldbcfc wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:56 pm vacuum leak / camshaft position sensor
Thanks but wouldn't vacuum leak show a lean code? Ditto CPS?
BMW Z4M INTERLAGOS BLUE
Other tin:
Mercedes SL500
Audi A6 Avant x2
Nissan Navara
Fiat Punto Sporting

NavZ

Rev dip issue

Post by NavZ » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:15 pm

Mine had the same problem, couldn't find the fault.
When the service was due and sparks replaced, it went away :thumbsup:
As mentioned before, it seems to be caused by different things for different cars.
I'd start with cleaning the ICV and doing normal (relatively cheap) service items so that the car benefits whether or not the issue is resolved.
2009 Z4M Coupe (TiAg) 80k KM

Sam1977

Rev dip issue

Post by Sam1977 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:31 pm

NavZ wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:15 pm Mine had the same problem, couldn't find the fault.
When the service was due and sparks replaced, it went away :thumbsup:
As mentioned before, it seems to be caused by different things for different cars.
I'd start with cleaning the ICV and doing normal (relatively cheap) service items so that the car benefits whether or not the issue is resolved.
Thanks for that - on that basis given the car is still there would you advocate them changing the sparks for OEM ones in place of those they have identified as non-OEM? Probably clutching at straws a bit here I know.

Taking away the fact thats it an M car etc. for a moment and just thinking of it as any car with an engine, it would seem a rev drop on hitting the throttle must be either a very short lean condition where there is too much air or too little fuel. How does the ICV actually interact with the main throttle bodies? Thats a big gap in my knowledge.
BMW Z4M INTERLAGOS BLUE
Other tin:
Mercedes SL500
Audi A6 Avant x2
Nissan Navara
Fiat Punto Sporting

NavZ

Rev dip issue

Post by NavZ » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:53 pm

I don't have much knowledge regarding the different sparks but it couldn't hurt to post the exact specs of your current set.
I'm sure someone here will comment whether or not they're appropriate.
While it might not be the culprit it could potentially lead to other problems or a loss in power, you never know.
2009 Z4M Coupe (TiAg) 80k KM

Adam D

Rev dip issue

Post by Adam D » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:46 am

When I had this I changed both Throttle Postions Sensors (tps) and had the idle valve cleaned. Solved it for me but recently it started to creep back... had a go at the idle control valve last weekend and so far it seems better.

Does yours take a long to fire up from cold start? That what pointed me back to the idle valve reading various forums on the S54 engine.
Silver Grey 2007 Z4MR which needs to be driven more :evil: :P :cool: :D :thumbsup:

Sam1977

Rev dip issue

Post by Sam1977 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:48 pm

Adam D wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:46 am When I had this I changed both Throttle Postions Sensors (tps) and had the idle valve cleaned. Solved it for me but recently it started to creep back... had a go at the idle control valve last weekend and so far it seems better.

Does yours take a long to fire up from cold start? That what pointed me back to the idle valve reading various forums on the S54 engine.
Hi Adam

Thanks - no it fires up first turn of the key from cold. Any got a link which explains on BMW how idle control valve works and interacts with throttle? I'd like to learn more about it all works in the hope of thinking through the problem more!

Thanks
Sam.
BMW Z4M INTERLAGOS BLUE
Other tin:
Mercedes SL500
Audi A6 Avant x2
Nissan Navara
Fiat Punto Sporting

Sam1977

Rev dip issue

Post by Sam1977 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:55 pm

Evening all

I went back to BMW today with a mate of mine. Said to the garage guy there that I wanted to show him the problem. He looked pretty annoyed actually - insisting it was perfectly okay and he had personally driven it for an hour and there is nothing wrong with it - that you have to drive them hard etc. Told him to start it up - so he gets in, revs it, blips throttle: fine he says. So we said, no wait 5 minutes for it to heat up and revs to settle lower. He's getting annoyed now for sure. So with it warm I said okay hit the gas now and sure enough, revs dropped before picking up. Little stabs at the throttle induced momentary stuttering - so I said: okay you think thats normal then? Ok no sir we'll have another look ....

Sorry NavZ no idea what plugs are in it at the moment - but I have told them to change those anyway.

On the plus point they gave me a fantastic price on the detailing I wanted them to do!

All the best
Sam.
BMW Z4M INTERLAGOS BLUE
Other tin:
Mercedes SL500
Audi A6 Avant x2
Nissan Navara
Fiat Punto Sporting