Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Some mods on a Z4M Roadster

"M" Specific discussion
FD3S

Post by FD3S » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:40 pm

Babw wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:01 pm FD3S like you I couldn't justify £400 for the Karbonius Snorkel so am going with the Geoff Steel Racing FRP one for £150.

I too my Karbonius out of the packaging today, the finish is beautiful but looking inside the airbox there seems to be a small gap where the two parts of the box meet. Wondering if yours is the same?
Hello Babw. Glad that you like your airbox. The quality of it is so good. Could you please upload a photo with this gap, so I can check it on mine?

Vanne

Post by Vanne » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:24 am

Haven't actually had the time to go Dyno mine, prob should, and prob will in the near future, but several of my mates have the same car and setup and it pulls as strong, if not stronger than theirs. (minus the de-cat)

Id be very interested in the story about the IAT probe, i happened to have both here, the Bimmerworld (Randy's one) doesn't actually fit the Karbonious box in the place where its supposed to go, i guess you can use the other one if you stick it somewhere else..

Temps are coming down here are we speak, so will be hitting the track real soon.

the Dyno is normally done with the hood up, so that would negate any snorkel /ram effect anyhow, and i think even heat soak will be standard wether you have the temp probe internally, like OEM or somewhere else externally.
(thats dyno, real world results might differ)

interesting.. ill keep a watch on this thread to see how it develops.

Did Randy get back to you in regards to the IAT probe difference?

Cheers V.

Ive got a few busy weeks coming up, but after that ill see if i can get a dyno done for comparison. :)

I never got it done, as its more about drivability for me. :)
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC Building/Developing Z4 GT3
Powered by Severn Tuning

ga41

Post by ga41 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:44 pm

Just noticed this thread! I remember months ago when FD3S visited Cyprus and we went for a quick coffee, he was telling me all the mods he wanted to do and I was thinking to myself "This boy is crazy" (in a good way!) haha!

@FD3S, your car is amazing and the mods on it are :thumbsup: I am sure you will get to the bottom of you issues soon! Only thing left is a nice brake kit and then a trip to Serres! :D
-- http://www.freerice.com/ For each answer you get right, they will donate 10 grains of rice to the United Nations World Food Program --

FD3S

Post by FD3S » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:43 am

Vanne wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:24 am Haven't actually had the time to go Dyno mine, prob should, and prob will in the near future, but several of my mates have the same car and setup and it pulls as strong, if not stronger than theirs. (minus the de-cat)

Id be very interested in the story about the IAT probe, i happened to have both here, the Bimmerworld (Randy's one) doesn't actually fit the Karbonious box in the place where its supposed to go, i guess you can use the other one if you stick it somewhere else..

Temps are coming down here are we speak, so will be hitting the track real soon.

the Dyno is normally done with the hood up, so that would negate any snorkel /ram effect anyhow, and i think even heat soak will be standard wether you have the temp probe internally, like OEM or somewhere else externally.
(thats dyno, real world results might differ)

I haven't thought that. It makes sense that with the open hood it doesn't make any difference the snorkel.
Vanne wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:24 am interesting.. ill keep a watch on this thread to see how it develops.

Did Randy get back to you in regards to the IAT probe difference?
I haven't told him about the IAT since I believed there was only once and it doesn't make difference. I will notify him however after I finish all the other stuff needed to be completed to have better chance correcting the issue. I will let you know how it goes.
Vanne wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:24 am Cheers V.

Ive got a few busy weeks coming up, but after that ill see if i can get a dyno done for comparison. :)

I never got it done, as its more about drivability for me. :)
Vanne it would be great if you find some time to dyno your car, since your car has a lot of future mods I would like to do :)

FD3S

Post by FD3S » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:56 am

ga41 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:44 pm Just noticed this thread! I remember months ago when FD3S visited Cyprus and we went for a quick coffee, he was telling me all the mods he wanted to do and I was thinking to myself "This boy is crazy" (in a good way!) haha!

@FD3S, your car is amazing and the mods on it are :thumbsup: I am sure you will get to the bottom of you issues soon! Only thing left is a nice brake kit and then a trip to Serres! :D
Ga41 thank you my friend for all the good words and your help with all those pm's.
I wish I could bring the car down for a ride together in the tunnels, to see if the airbox roars louder or the Rpi's :rofl:
Btw I see you car very often in our small town. Please remind me which kind of BBK do you have? And you still have the stock wheels? I have to change all the brake rotors and the pads on the car and I am searching if it worths to upgrade to a BBK.

ga41

Post by ga41 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:01 am

It's the Stoptech 355mm kit all around, 6piston front and 4piston rear. The kit comes with all necessary parts, discs, callipers, brake lines etc. You only need to buy spacers if you want to have them in the OEM wheels. It's a great kit and good price in the USA but expensive once you factor in shipping and custom costs. Maybe AP Racing would be best for you if you are buying in Europe, that kit can also use the stock rear discs.

And next time you see me shoot a message so we go for a beer or something, i thought you were back in Greece full time!
-- http://www.freerice.com/ For each answer you get right, they will donate 10 grains of rice to the United Nations World Food Program --

Fishy Dave

Post by Fishy Dave » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:52 pm

The APs 'just' fit with the standard 224s and no spacers. :)
Corvette C6
Mazda RX-8 race car
Now sold: Z4M Roadster, the best all round car I have owned.

FD3S

Post by FD3S » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:28 pm

Fishy I would go probably for the AP Racing kit between the two. My concern is if it worths to spend 5k on a BBK kit on a car that never sees the track.. It seems like an overkill. The only reason it makes sense to go this way is in case within the next two years I decide to go the SC way. :cry:

ga41

Post by ga41 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:45 pm

Well it looks pretty cool so that's a plus :rofl:

Truth be told if you don't drive the car very hard for sustained periods of time, the stock brakes with some good fluid and good pads are more than enough. In that case the BBK is for looks only...

FD3S

Post by FD3S » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:06 pm

Finally I have found some time to start working on the car. I want to do some new mods. What I am thinking of are:
1) The car has to be repainted totally. Unfortunately an idiot has scratched the car all over with a screwdriver... Cost around 2000 euros.
2) It is time to change the front discs. I was thinking to purchase a BBK, but unfortunately the cost of the repaint doesn't allow to spend around 4 to 5k for new brakes. My options are to change the discs only or to purchase a kit which is not direct fit like our cars so it can be less expensive. What do you think?
3) I plan to do a custom made snorkel for the airbox. Unfortunately there is not enough room in our cars to create a big custom ram air so I have to design one that fits directly to our air duct. I would really appreciate if you could give me an idea if I could put a smaller radiator and if that worths the effort. The CSF aftermarket radiator is even bigger than the stock I guess. Any other solutions?
4) I am planning to buy some cams since I have a carbon airbox and a tune. However the information that I have found on the forum about cams are very few. From my research the cams that can be put on our car are:
1) Schrick 280/272 12.5mm Lift
2) Schrick 288/280 14mm Lift
3) Schrick 288/280 12.5mm LIft
4) Schrick 304/296 14mm Lift

From what I have seen the most guys go for the 288/280 setup, since the difference with 280/272 is insignificant. My questions are :
a) What gains should I expect with the 288/280 setup?
b) Are any problems that should be caused if i go this way? For example like not steady revs while starting the car or not good response on low revs?
c) Which kit of the 288/280 is the right? 12.5 mm or the 14mm and what difference do they have?
d) What other parts should I order and how many? Arm Rockers something else?
f) Could this change the life expectancy for my engine?

Vanne

Post by Vanne » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:51 am

gday mate, been a while.

A. not much, maybe 10-20 hp depending on which cams you go for and which lift you get.
B. should not be any issues if you go with 288/280/12.5 (As thats what ive got, the others?? NFI!)
(youll need to head over to some of the M3 (s54) forums and read up, lots of issues with more aggressive setups) You have to do your research. :thumbsup:
C. which kit? the 12.5 are a drop in replacement, the 14mm youll need to get new springs and a buch of other stuff (possibly). the 14mm will provide more HP.
D. which other parts? NFI, i ordered a new set of diamond coated followers, which in hind sight was probably not required as my followers were perfect. If you go 14mm, youll need other parts, and ill leave that research to you.
F. Ofcourse. :wink:

Youll need to get the car re-Tuned for the Cams, Email Randy, i think there is one change included when you buy the initial tune. At least there was for me.

I bought the Carbonious Snork, but only beacuse the GS snork wasnt available then, in hind sight i would have gotten the Karbonious snork anyways as it perfectly matches the intake. your milage will vary if you buy the GS snork, though performance wise it will be exacly the same as the Karbonious Snork... or no snork even... i think.. but only as we dont have a proper was to get air into the intake. I am still looking at ways to perfect this as i am not happy with how it sits atm. Even Toms snork to me looks like it would be inhibited due to the constriction of the OEM Z4 intake hole. (which is freaking tiny) :cry:

No idea why your cars curve does that, mine sure doesnt.. :tumbleweed:
would love to find out more. Id try the other bimmerworld IAT probe if i were you, see if that makes any difference?) its cheap enough, so that would be my first stop.

Cheers mate,

if OEM is 330hp, with all these mods (and my mods), youll be lucky to get 360-380 out of it. And thats after spending a hell of a lot of money) This is does however make for a great drivable and responsive car, and immensly engaging, but as i said many times before, if your chasing HP, youll get there within budget with a SC.

On my setup ive spent more than one of the mid level superchargers would cost, and were probably looking at a peak increase of around 30-maybe 35 HP, and THATS IT!.. economically it is a very bad but fun game.
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC Building/Developing Z4 GT3