Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What on earth am I thinking about

"M" Specific discussion
griffnut

Post by griffnut » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:41 pm

Yes, I know agree with what you say about the sound of pre-cat Griff. I was lucky enough to own a 4.3 Griff, superb car in very way but the 5.0 ltr just felt that bit more refined (switch gear and a slight edge mid range acceleration). Nearly bought my old 4.3 Griff back, advertised on Pistonheads for £17k (K666 GRF).

Still can't afford to have TVR's parked in the Barn.

I would imagine that your M is the in MINT condition, it no longer needs any money spending on it baring Routine Servicing. Hence just drive it and enjoy it. It's gets even harder nowadays to track down a car that's worth buying, wether it be from Traders (of any type) or Private!

Buyer BEWARE now is the NORM.

Anakin

Post by Anakin » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:25 pm

I cant stop looking at SL 55 AMG's. Not at all sensible and probably best not to do without a warranty, but that noise 8) :driving:
Monaco Blue Z4M Roadster & Solar Orange TT RS

groovy_hippy

Post by groovy_hippy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:35 pm

Porsche 996 ... buy a good one and it might appreciate... you're probably looking at over 60k miles though... Turbos have gone silly price now, the C4Ss are on their way. A well specced C4 would be a good bet.

Our 2001 C4 is on 108k miles and still going strong - it's had an IMS bearing but didn't need it (other work meant it might as well be done while we were in there). Obviously it's had a few other bits of maintenance, but it is 17 years old and a fair few miles on the clock... The only problem with Porsches is that they're not always cheap to maintain (though we did do an alternator for about 80 quid)...I think previous owners of our one didn't understand this and hence it was a bit neglected when we picked it up.

Oh and you get 4x seats and can have a roof rack ;-)
Current ... 2007 Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport | Manual | Alpine White | Black leather | Piano black dash
Intro to Zeds, now sold... 2007 Z4 2.5i SE Roadster | Manual | Stratus Grey | Red Leather | CDV delete | DLV backbox

Zeld4

Post by Zeld4 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:56 pm

What about a SLK 55 AMG? That was a £50k motor when knew. I think they look pretty cool and they sound awesome, and with that massive V8 up from, it's got to feel special!

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:40 pm

All you need is a hardtop, winter tyres and a man to tarmac your drive :wink:
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

ocrx8

Post by ocrx8 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:00 pm

Zeld4 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:56 pm What about a SLK 55 AMG? That was a £50k motor when knew. I think they look pretty cool and they sound awesome, and with that massive V8 up from, it's got to feel special!
I’ve been looking at these for a while. Took one for a drive and the noise was amazing, but the interior of the R171 is nasty. The R172 is much nicer inside but that’s knocking on the door of £30k at the moment.
Current: '08 ///MR | Interlagos | Champagne | Nav | DSP | Cruise | Intravee | ZHP | Black Grilles | Stubby

Previous: '56 3.0si Sport Roadster | Ruby Black | Extended Champagne | Nav | DSP | Xenons | 108s | Non-RFs | Stubby

Havard

Post by Havard » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:02 pm

Mad Professor wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:09 am
Interested to hear about the Cayman S -although not a big Porsche fan [its the flash image which doesnt fit with my old man persona] as i've heard a lot of scary stories about mega bills -once considered a Boxster S .
What is the issue with the Cayman -and 'im intrigued to know why the M didnt sell as i thought demand was strong
Mr Professor. Not had many sports cars but I always do my homework. As an engineer, a lack of reliability is not really an option for me and being tighter than 2 coats of paint, losing money also is not one of my hobbies.

After having two Toyota Supras over 9 years and finally letting them go, , picked up my M as a bit of an impulse purchase as the car was priced much lower than expected when reading the advert. Two and and a half years later and 8k miles, I decided to scratch the P word itch after seeing a white Cayman S online. Manual gearbox is rare with the 3.4 NA engine as I haven't seen any for sale since in S guise. 20" wheels and the gearshift seems half way up the dashboard in comparison to where you are sat. Lovely throw on the gears too. An easy car to drive at all speeds.

So far I have only done around 450 miles in the Cayman, that includes 120 miles from Leicester to Wigan and a weekend up to Melrose in Scotland which was 320 round trip ish. So not much more besides. The car is epic, feels really planted and balanced, it feels like a racing car, great noise from the sports exhaust, better satnav, just coming up for 4 years old and only 8200 miles on the clock. It is in essence a new car. No servicing required for 2 years and warranty until late Dec 2018. All for a bargain price of £43K.

It feels a quality machine and a precision instrument. Storage in the front and rear compartments is really handy and you forget the engine is behind you at times.

The M is a completely different proposition. I actually feel lower in the M than the Cayman. The steering wheel is chunky and small, rather than being sat in the middle, you feel like you are over the rear axle or even in the boot at times. The engine noise through the dash board makes me smile. The S54 sometimes sounds a little unrefined but I love it's unruly nature. I feel like I am hanging on with this car, rather than being in control, even though the steering and grip don't often give you dramas. It wants to go and seems impatient if you don't push it a little. A fairly difficult car to drive at low speeds with the clutch and gearbox in first and second. I find my self kangarooing if I haven't been in her for while.

Out on the open road both cars are very rewarding and defo put a smile on my face. I told the missus that I was falling in love with the Cayman in Scotland but when i got home, I wanted to take the M out too... :D

Will I ever get rid of one, who knows? But at present, I can't think of any cars that are sub £40K that I would want to change. Considering the M is 35% of the price of the Cayman it is a no brainer.

Why it didn't sell at £15k is anyone's guess. This has just reminded me to cancel the AT ad. At £57K miles, she is the cheapest MR in the country but not a single call. One e-mail enquiry that made me feel funny and then I realised I couldn't part with her. :wub:

H.
ImageImage

Mad Professor

Post by Mad Professor » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:21 pm

griffnut wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:41 pm Yes, I know agree with what you say about the sound of pre-cat Griff. I was lucky enough to own a 4.3 Griff, superb car in very way but the 5.0 ltr just felt that bit more refined (switch gear and a slight edge mid range acceleration). Nearly bought my old 4.3 Griff back, advertised on Pistonheads for £17k (K666 GRF).

Still can't afford to have TVR's parked in the Barn.

I would imagine that your M is the in MINT condition, it no longer needs any money spending on it baring Routine Servicing. Hence just drive it and enjoy it. It's gets even harder nowadays to track down a car that's worth buying, wether it be from Traders (of any type) or Private!

Buyer BEWARE now is the NORM.
you've hit the nail on the head about finding a decent car
Present : 987 Box
Past history : ,Z4MR ,Cat HPC evo , XKR , Eunos VR , Eunos VS, Westie S8 ,TVR S2 , S54 Z3MR, SL500 , TVR Wedge 4.6 , Cat Xflow , Saab 900 Turbo ,Cat VXE ,Cat BDR, Cat Twincam , Elan S3 , Haldane Healey, Lancia HF turbo

Mad Professor

Post by Mad Professor » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:23 pm

Zeld4 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:56 pm What about a SLK 55 AMG? That was a £50k motor when knew. I think they look pretty cool and they sound awesome, and with that massive V8 up from, it's got to feel special!
Yep i have indeed considered a 55 AMG -and drove its big brother SL55 which was dissapointing -apparently their electrics are a nightmare
Past history : ,Z4MR ,Cat HPC evo , XKR , Eunos VR , Eunos VS, Westie S8 ,TVR S2 , S54 Z3MR, SL500 , TVR Wedge 4.6 , Cat Xflow , Saab 900 Turbo ,Cat VXE ,Cat BDR, Cat Twincam , Elan S3 , Haldane Healey, Lancia HF turbo

Mad Professor

Post by Mad Professor » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:27 pm

Havard wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:02 pm
Mad Professor wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:09 am
Interested to hear about the Cayman S -although not a big Porsche fan [its the flash image which doesnt fit with my old man persona] as i've heard a lot of scary stories about mega bills -once considered a Boxster S .
What is the issue with the Cayman -and 'im intrigued to know why the M didnt sell as i thought demand was strong
Mr Professor. Not had many sports cars but I always do my homework. As an engineer, a lack of reliability is not really an option for me and being tighter than 2 coats of paint, losing money also is not one of my hobbies.

After having two Toyota Supras over 9 years and finally letting them go, , picked up my M as a bit of an impulse purchase as the car was priced much lower than expected when reading the advert. Two and and a half years later and 8k miles, I decided to scratch the P word itch after seeing a white Cayman S online. Manual gearbox is rare with the 3.4 NA engine as I haven't seen any for sale since in S guise. 20" wheels and the gearshift seems half way up the dashboard in comparison to where you are sat. Lovely throw on the gears too. An easy car to drive at all speeds.

So far I have only done around 450 miles in the Cayman, that includes 120 miles from Leicester to Wigan and a weekend up to Melrose in Scotland which was 320 round trip ish. So not much more besides. The car is epic, feels really planted and balanced, it feels like a racing car, great noise from the sports exhaust, better satnav, just coming up for 4 years old and only 8200 miles on the clock. It is in essence a new car. No servicing required for 2 years and warranty until late Dec 2018. All for a bargain price of £43K.

It feels a quality machine and a precision instrument. Storage in the front and rear compartments is really handy and you forget the engine is behind you at times.

The M is a completely different proposition. I actually feel lower in the M than the Cayman. The steering wheel is chunky and small, rather than being sat in the middle, you feel like you are over the rear axle or even in the boot at times. The engine noise through the dash board makes me smile. The S54 sometimes sounds a little unrefined but I love it's unruly nature. I feel like I am hanging on with this car, rather than being in control, even though the steering and grip don't often give you dramas. It wants to go and seems impatient if you don't push it a little. A fairly difficult car to drive at low speeds with the clutch and gearbox in first and second. I find my self kangarooing if I haven't been in her for while.

Out on the open road both cars are very rewarding and defo put a smile on my face. I told the missus that I was falling in love with the Cayman in Scotland but when i got home, I wanted to take the M out too... :D

Will I ever get rid of one, who knows? But at present, I can't think of any cars that are sub £40K that I would want to change. Considering the M is 35% of the price of the Cayman it is a no brainer.

Why it didn't sell at £15k is anyone's guess. This has just reminded me to cancel the AT ad. At £57K miles, she is the cheapest MR in the country but not a single call. One e-mail enquiry that made me feel funny and then I realised I couldn't part with her. :wub:

H.
Am amazed you didnt have to fight them off with a stick at 15k for your M
43k is serious money -and its going to take a big hit -out of my league im afraid

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:27 pm

BMWZ4MC wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:40 pm All you need is a hardtop, winter tyres and a man to tarmac your drive :wink:
What he said... :thumbsup:

If you had to change though, I reckon an E63 M6 cab could be good fun, incredible value and sound unbelievable...probably drive like a tank though?
IMOLA Z4///MR

Mad Professor

Post by Mad Professor » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:35 pm

RedUn wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:27 pm
BMWZ4MC wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:40 pm All you need is a hardtop, winter tyres and a man to tarmac your drive :wink:

If you had to change though, I reckon an E63 M6 cab could be good fun, incredible value and sound unbelievable...probably drive like a tank though?
Cant see the point of a cab which is going to be a rattle box -at least the MR was designed with built in stifness
The fact remains that there simply arent many decent days up here when i'm off and able to take my MR out for nice run
Also TBH the MR isnt that happy on our shoddy B roads -it much prefers smooth tarmac
Also it feels kind of wide on B roads -not sure why that is -maybe its just my perception -i'm always concious of its girth for some reason
Anyway its tucked away on trickle now till April
I live up a mile private potholed muddly farm track which is barely passable even in my CRV in the winter -so no point ruining the MR

Havard

Post by Havard » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:37 pm

Mad Professor wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:27 pm
Am amazed you didnt have to fight them off with a stick at 15k for your M
43k is serious money -and its going to take a big hit -out of my league im afraid
I hope it doesn't take a hit. :o They haven't come down much from new and when studying prices, a manual 981 Cayman S with sub 10k miles is impossible to find. These are the last of the 6 cylinder engines in the Cayman. You are then into GTS specification which is 55K plus.

There are cars with 30k miles around what I paid for mine. If I keep the M, the mileage will not increase much as I will swap when events dictate. Not sure if you saw the advert but here it is.

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=99614

Still on AT with 12 days to go but I am just keeping her on to see if anyone at all was interested. 1200 views and not one phone call...FFS..!!

H.
ImageImage

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:40 pm

Mad Professor wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:35 pm
RedUn wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:27 pm

Cant see the point of a cab which is going to be a rattle box -at least the MR was designed with built in stifness
The fact remains that there simply arent many decent days up here when i'm off and able to take my MR out for nice run
Also TBH the MR isnt that happy on our shoddy B roads -it much prefers smooth tarmac
Also it feels kind of wide on B roads -not sure why that is -maybe its just my perception -i'm always concious of its girth for some reason
Anyway its tucked away on trickle now till April
I live up a mile private potholed muddly farm track which is barely passable even in my CRV in the winter -so no point ruining the MR
The m6 cab is hardly flexible, it's just a big car, know what you mean though!

What tyres/suspension are on the zed? Makes a big difference...

Cant help the weather or pot hole situation though :(

What about a hot hatch? Some are brilliant fun
IMOLA Z4///MR

mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mcbeee » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:54 pm

You need an M roadster, wait a minute , you have one.
Sold the Z4 M Roadster and a 911 Carrera S now I have a 2021 Z4 3.0i
8) 8) 8)