Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Loud tappet like noises from Engine....

"M" Specific discussion
TomK

Post by TomK » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:38 am

Mangozac wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:40 am
TomK wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:43 am According to BMW's workshop manual that's not true (and also what I've been told by my shop), no run in period is required for these on replacement. I think most just take it relatively easy for a few hundred miles to be on the safe side, 1k is unnecessary.
By BMW's workshop manual you're referring to TIS/ISTA? I couldn't find any reference to it and unless it specifically says that a run-in period isn't required I wouldn't take it to mean that it isn't.

I know the arguments which say that the break-in is unnecessary, but it is recommended by BMW: under SIB 11 04 04 (rod bearing updates for early E46 M3s) it specifically states that a 1200 mile break-in period is required following the correction work. I have two friends who are experienced BMW techs, both E46 M3 owners and they agree that a break-in should be performed.

That said, I do agree that 1200 miles of break-in is certainly overkill but dyno runs are not a casual engine operation so I definitely wouldn't be doing one too soon after the bearing change!
Actually you're quite right, the rod bearing recall does indeed specify 1200 miles, I'm not sure where I'm imagining I read what I said, but I definitely can't find it :)
:oops:
That said, the bearings in theory should not need running in, but I agree with you that a dyno session so close on from replacement is not a great idea. Maybe 1K miles has already been put on :?
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

T1berious

Post by T1berious » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:01 am

You know, I think I'll wait a bit for dyno run...

(That felt so Jedi mind trick, This isn't the dyno run you're looking for... move along)

:D

Cheers chaps wise words.
Current
718 Cayman GTS 4.0, Kia EV6 GT line S

F87 M2C ,F82 440i, E85 Z4MR, E92 330i All Gone!

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:33 am

No problem TomK, it happens to the best of us. I've been reading TIS (and now ISTA) for 7 years and I'm still discovering relevant and informative documents in it!

T1berious, leave it until 1000 miles and then report back with your dyno results. I want to dyno mine some time soon!

Oh and in case it wasn't obvious: the break-in instructions for the new bearings are the same as a brand new engine: keep the revs below 5500RPM. Painful, I know!
Current: 06 E85 M Silbergrau
Previous: E85 3.0si Silbergrau, 03 E85 2.5i Maldives Blue.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

Yorkie Z

Post by Yorkie Z » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:17 am

T1berious wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:01 am You know, I think I'll wait a bit for dyno run...

(That felt so Jedi mind trick, This isn't the dyno run you're looking for... move along)

:D

Cheers chaps wise words.
:rofl:
A Dirty M///

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:38 am

I would follow the original BMW advice on run in, 1200 miles under 4k RPM then give it an oil change than get on it :thumbsup:

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:41 am

Mangozac wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:33 am I've been reading TIS (and now ISTA) for 7 years
Not exactly a page-turner, is it?
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:46 am

MrPT wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:41 am
Mangozac wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:33 am I've been reading TIS (and now ISTA) for 7 years
Not exactly a page-turner, is it?
Not being a professional mechanic nor trained in German technical approaches it takes a while to understand how things are worded or where they're located!
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

T1berious

Post by T1berious » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:51 am

Mangozac wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:33 am
T1berious, leave it until 1000 miles and then report back with your dyno results. I want to dyno mine some time soon!

Oh and in case it wasn't obvious: the break-in instructions for the new bearings are the same as a brand new engine: keep the revs below 5500RPM. Painful, I know!
To be honest, I very rarely take it over 5.5k rpm in regular driving, so I'll leave it till Feb and get the service (it's got oil and brake fluid next time) done and get the dyno sorted and share my findings
Current

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:02 pm

T1berious wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:51 am To be honest, I very rarely take it over 5.5k rpm in regular driving, so I'll leave it till Feb and get the service (it's got oil and brake fluid next time) done and get the dyno sorted and share my findings
Really? 6k in third gear is intoxicating ;)

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:26 pm

Way back when I used to read Performance Bikes there was an interesting article on running in of new engines. They basically took a couple of brand new Yammy R1's - the first they broke in gently as per recommendation and the other they ripped the arse off right from the word go. Following a month of that and the usual oil change, both bikes were tracked relentlessly for a season on exactly the same service schedule before been sent for a dyno run and a full strip down inspection - right down to the last nut and bolt. Result.... absolutely identical. Both bikes showed minimal wear and had power outputs within a couple of percent.

There's no reason to take a risk by not running in I suppose, but real world experiments have proved that the risk of engine damage by not running in are very small indeed.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:11 pm

ph001 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:26 pm Way back when I used to read Performance Bikes there was an interesting article on running in of new engines. They basically took a couple of brand new Yammy R1's - the first they broke in gently as per recommendation and the other they ripped the arse off right from the word go. Following a month of that and the usual oil change, both bikes were tracked relentlessly for a season on exactly the same service schedule before been sent for a dyno run and a full strip down inspection - right down to the last nut and bolt. Result.... absolutely identical. Both bikes showed minimal wear and had power outputs within a couple of percent.

There's no reason to take a risk by not running in I suppose, but real world experiments have proved that the risk of engine damage by not running in are very small indeed.
I have heard slightly different where the bike that was thrashed from new had more BHP than the one that was taken care of.
Big risk though and only worth doing if you don't plan on keeping them long.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

bowler

Post by bowler » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:50 pm

Had a similar noise on my 1.9 Z3 with heart in mouth and wallet, discovered it was a spark plug had come loose (weird) in the end a very cheap fix. Hope yours is as painless

T1berious

Post by T1berious » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:56 pm

bowler wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:50 pm Had a similar noise on my 1.9 Z3 with heart in mouth and wallet, discovered it was a spark plug had come loose (weird) in the end a very cheap fix. Hope yours is as painless
Erm the engine was rebuilt. I know the thread has run on a bit (Lordy, in the time of this thread I've test drove 5 cars and bought 1) but there were some pics of tne engine block pretty naked and out of the car.

The final bill was staggering but still cheaper than a Porsche Cayman S :P

Just for you, my engine block and pistons.

I wish it was a lose spark plug
Current

bowler

Post by bowler » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:38 pm

Yes, didn't realise when i replied. I was lucky sorry you wasn't!

Spaniarduk

Post by Spaniarduk » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:57 pm

Oh wow! This thread was a like a bad Hitchcock movie! I loved it!! :rofl: i simply could not put my phone down from post 1 to this point. Really, really useful and interesting thread! Albeit at great cost and possibly a few sleepless nights for T1berious, . I only got my Z4MR imola red 13 months ago with 24k and from day one I've tried to learn as much as possible about the S54. This thread is a treasure! Thanks to everyone who contributed.
T1berious, that video made my eyes water and made me reach for my wallet for a few small pats! :rofl:
Volando voy
Volando vengo
Volando voy
Volando vengo, -engo
Y por el camino
Yo me entretengo 🕺💃